Length of time performers work continued past their recasts

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Something I thought might be worth talking about (though with it's list-like nature might be limiting): Character recasts whose previous performers performances continued to air on the show after the recasts. I'm not talking ones that have been released on home video (whether it's a release for the target audience or a collectors release), and definitely not ones that continue to air internationally (because obviously, they don't need to worry about what they sound like; well, not the English voices, anyway).

Mr. Snuffleupagus - Jerry Nelson's performances continued until at least season 20, with one episode having "Great Snuffle Derby" from season 9 (one that I think is still missing an image on the wiki). I don't think Michael Earl did many (any?) vocal performances as Snuffy in inserts, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a guide for one season 14 episode that repeated the street scenes from a season 12 episode featuring Snuffy.

Dr. Nobel Price - I'm pretty sure Brian Meehl's segments continued to air for the entirety of the characters use on the show, with the last appearance of a Brian Meehl Dr. Nobel Price segment airing in season 20, a year after the character was discontinued from new material.

Clementine - I don't think Brian Meehl or Kevin Clash's performances were discontinued from airing until long after they stopped making new Clementine segments altogether (even with Camille Bonora's Clementine sounding more different than the other two).

Forgetful Jones - I don't think any of Michael Earl's performances aired after season 12, might need to look at "what links here" on the images to see if any did (that the wiki notes). Of course the tooth brush segment wasn't remade until season 16, five years after Richard Hunt took over (and the year when Kevin Clash took over as Clementine).

Ernie - Jim Henson's performances as Ernie continued to air until season 39. I'm not sure whether Steve Whitmire's Ernie segments continue to air, I'm guessing Billy Barkhursts performances still air (though I don't think he's done many inserts as Ernie).

Bert, Grover, and Cookie Monster - as Frank Oz continued to perform them for years after Eric Jacobson and David Rudman respectively took over, his old performances continued airing for years. I don't think any of Oz's performances have aired since season 44, a year after his last new performances on the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Does Fran Brill's voice work for Prairie Dawn count?
Yes. Have they still shown her work in the last few years?

Caroll Spinney just retired last year and his last vocal performances as Big Bird and Oscar have not yet aired, so they’re still showing his performances. Who knows how long they will continue to be repeated in the show?

I can’t remember if I saw a Brian Meehl Telly clip confirmed for being in a season 21 episode or not. I want to say I have, but I’m not entirely sure. I think at least one was in a season 20 episode but it again I’m not sure.

Segments where Elmo was performed by people before Kevin Clash continued to air until at least season 19. Me, Claudias last aired in that season. The monsters marching band also aired in either season 19 or 20 (I saw the info in a guide sourced from a Japanese program guide, so it could just be in the Japanese broadcasts.... which means it was probably a season 19 episode). Kevin Clash dubbed over Elmo’s voice in future airings if We’re All Monsters but it seems that was the only pre-Clash Elmo segment where he overdubbed Elmo. Other early Elmo segments would be shown from time to time but they’d be ones where he doesn’t talk.

they continued showing old Two-Headed Monster segments after David Rudman took over from Richard Hunt and then after Joey Mazzarino took over from Jerry Nelson, though I don’t know how long they continued to show Nelson/Hunt segments. I think Mazzarino’s segments have continued to be shown after Eric Jacobson took over.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I know that Jim Henson was still credited as a performer on Sesame Street until 2001. Not sure how long Hunt or Nelson were. I think one of Jerry Nelson's last performance as the Count (8 is great song) still airs every so often.

80sMuppetFan

Reaction score
I know that Jim Henson was still credited as a performer on Sesame Street until 2001. Not sure how long Hunt or Nelson were. I think one of Jerry Nelson's last performance as the Count (8 is great song) still airs every so often.
Richard was removed from the credits a year before Jim, in 2000. 2 headed monster skits with Richard last aired in season 32. Carrolls voice continues to be heard in the season 47 letter of the day skits that still air where he has the line in the song "it's time to tweet!" The last time a Brian meehl Telly skit aired was season 27. Over a decade after Marty took over.

Sometimes I wonder how much longer they're gonna air repeat episodes with the older humans. As of right now it's been 8 years since they were let go. Bob and Emilio have passed away. I gotta admit I do like that they still air repeat episodes with them because it still keeps them on the new show in some capacity. It would be nice if they brought Gina back at some point. She's only in her early 50s. She could run either the bike shop or Laundromat since Nina works at both of them, it could even things out.