Kermit on TV Land's 50 Greatest TV ICons

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Hey, Kermit will be referenced on TV Land's 50 Greatest TV Icons on November 16th. It will show a clip of him playing the banjo.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Hey, Kermit will be referenced on TV Land's 50 Greatest TV Icons on November 16th. It will show a clip of him playing the banjo.
Just a clip of him playing the banjo? Well, I guess that clip wil be from The Muppet Movie, but maybe it will be from The Mupets at Walt Disney World or the Debbie Harry episode of The Mupet Show (since it's TV icons it should be a clip from a TV production).

Errr, I mean, uh, uh, great!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Is there a list of the others?

Glad Kermit's on there, but no Big Bird?

Java

Reaction score
I'm not sure the whole list has been released yet. I've seen the commercial for this show to be on and Kermit is #21. (In the commercial the put out three numbers and a description of the character and then later on they show the picture. That's how I know Kermit's #21) I bet Big Bird has to be there somewhere. I can't wait to see the show for this.

anytimepally

Reaction score
the whole list has been released on EW.com

21. KERMIT

He began as a puppet made of an old green coat and a Ping-Pong ball. But thanks to the imagination and voice of Muppet master Jim Henson, Kermit was transformed into so much more. On Sesame Street, he taught kids how to read and relish their youth. On The Muppet Show, he played straight man to a world of gonzo characters. When he guest-hosted The Tonight Show in 1979, it was a coronation: Kermit had become more than an entertainer. He had become our friend.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yet another desperate EW list to gain subscribers, but hey...Kermit!

:mad: I have viewed Entertainment Weekly as pretty much a tabloid rag with off-the-mark reviews and editorials for several years now. It's almost the flip side of my taste. I expect them to implement the gross overuse of the color pink and exclamation points (Us Weekly, People, Stuff Magazine etc) very soon! But, on listing Kermit, they got it right. He is number 21, but they do have some good names in the 1-20 spots. The EW site is irritating to navigate, (probably to get users to buy the magazine) but I did jot down a few spots.

1 Johnny Carson
2 Lucille Ball
3 Oprah
9 Homer Simpson
21 Kermit the Frog
:smile:

The absence of Big Bird is disappointing. I don't remember seeing Jackie Gleason's name, but could be wrong about that. Many people seemed to be missing, however I do applaud them for not just peeling the names off this week's guest list for Dancing with the Stars as appears to be the practice for other articles. :grouchy:

goshposh

Reaction score
There are 100's of great tv icons. Lets just be happy Kermit made the list of 50.

Drtooth

Reaction score
:mad: I have viewed Entertainment Weekly as pretty much a tabloid rag with off-the-mark reviews and editorials for several years now. It's almost the flip side of my taste. I expect them to implement the gross overuse of the color pink and exclamation points (Us Weekly, People, Stuff Magazine etc) very soon! But, on listing Kermit, they got it right. He is number 21, but they do have some good names in the 1-20 spots. The EW site is irritating to navigate, (probably to get users to buy the magazine) but I did jot down a few spots.

1 Johnny Carson
2 Lucille Ball
3 Oprah
9 Homer Simpson
21 Kermit the Frog
:smile:

The absence of Big Bird is disappointing. I don't remember seeing Jackie Gleason's name, but could be wrong about that. Many people seemed to be missing, however I do applaud them for not just peeling the names off this week's guest list for Dancing with the Stars as appears to be the practice for other articles. :grouchy:

Jackie Gleason is #13. Pretty lucky, huh?

but all and all, another weak, pathetic "best of what us youngsters that think we're so hip" lists. Simon Cowell? Sarah Michelle Gellar? What is this? Big Bird didn't even make the top 100. Mr. Rogers limped by at #55. Bob hope was down the list as well. Judge Freakin' Judy was on the top 100 list.

Someone gets paid to write down random celebrity names in order, while remembering to put the celebrities that actually pioneered the medium on top of the list so they don't look like a bunch of 20 something TMZ junkies.

I'm glad Kermit made the list. heck, I'm surprised his spot didn't go to the Geico Cavemen or everyone from Dancing with the stars. I'm surprised the same could be said for Johnny Carson. Was Jack parr even on that list?

I guess the point I'm trying to make is not to take these lists too seriously, since they rarely even mean anything.

Katzi428

Reaction score
After Henry "The Fonz" Winkler was shown, Kermit did The Fonz's "AAAYYYY! post w/a thumb up:smile:
(Hmmmm...I didn't know frogs have thumbs!:wink: )

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
but all and all, another weak, pathetic "best of what us youngsters that think we're so hip" lists.
It sort of reminds me of the Oscars when they do the montage of people in the entertainment industry who have passed away in the last year. If the audience hasn't heard of a person, they don't applaud. Which I find very rude and arrogant. Everyone will die someday, and those people should be setting a good example now by applauding for everybody.