Jesse's Girl (A 1990s SST Fan Fiction)

cjd874

Reaction score
And now...the conclusion to the story. I've been working on the previous three chapters for about four months, and this is kind of a bittersweet moment. But perhaps there may be a sequel in the future. Thanks to everyone who has read it and supported my work, and happy holidays!

CHAPTER 10

The next day, Jesse and Gina went to see another movie after work. Oscar was at his newsstand when he saw them walking down the street toward the subway station.

“Oh, yuck!” he muttered to himself. “Look at them. They’re holding hands, smiling, AND making goo-goo eyes at each other. They must be together after all.”

Gina and Jesse walked up to the newsstand. “Hi Oscar,” they said cheerfully.

“Don’t ‘Hi’ me!” Oscar shot back. “From the looks of it, it appears that you two walking smiley-faces are together.”

“That’s right, Oscar,” Gina replied. “We are officially together! And we’re so happy about it.”

“Bleck,” Oscar sneered. “So you two really DO love each other, huh?”

“I love Gina, and she loves me,” Jesse said firmly. “I told Gina everything, Oscar. And you tried to make me feel unsure of myself. But I faced my fears, and now we’re a couple. Thank you for your help, Oscar!” Jesse leaned over and hugged Oscar, and then Gina planted a big kiss on Oscar’s cheek.

“AAAGGHH!” Oscar screamed. “No! No! Never hug or kiss a Grouch! I never helped you at all! Take a hike! Beat it! SCRAM! Get out of here already!”

Gina and Jesse laughed and entered the subway.

“I haven’t felt this rotten in a long time,” Oscar mused. “Come to think of it, it felt pretty good too. Gee, being a Grouch can be pretty strange.”

A few minutes later, the sun began to set. Oscar closed up the newsstand, gathered his crumpled hat and battered briefcase, and headed back to his trashcan.

Gina and Jesse were together, and things would never be the same on Sesame Street. This was obvious, even to a Grouch.

It was late at night, and the street was deserted. The A train roared into the subway station, and Jesse and Gina stepped out onto Sesame Street.

“Thanks for taking me home, Jesse,” Gina said. “I really appreciate it.”

“No problem,” Jesse said. He couldn’t help but stare into Gina’s eyes as he spoke.

Gina noticed and looked back at him. He was so adorable.

“Jesse…do you want to stay at my place for the night?” Gina asked.

Jesse’s heart skipped. “Sure,” he said.

Gina read the look on his face faster than Big Bird could read his favorite nursery rhyme. She grabbed his hand and led him into the apartment building. They dashed up three flights of stairs, entered Gina’s apartment, and quickly closed the door.

Gina put her hands on Jesse’s face and kissed him. He held her waist and together they fell backward onto Gina’s couch.

Suddenly, Gina stopped and looked up at Jesse. “Hey, do you want to put some music on?”

“Sure,” Jesse said. “That’s cool with me.”
Gina smiled. “I have just the thing…wait right here.” She got up and ran to her room. She returned with a CD and popped it into her stereo. The guitar riff from Rick Springfield’s “Jessie’s Girl” came on.

Jesse and Gina gazed into each other’s eyes and continued kissing on Gina’s couch. If this was what heaven would be like, they wanted to experience it forever. Together. By each other’s side. Inseparably.

EPILOGUE

A few days later, Gina and Jesse finally went to Hooper’s Store together for breakfast. It was still early in the morning when they arrived. Gina was surprised when she saw that the store was dark inside. Mr. Handford was nowhere to be seen.

“Gee, that’s strange,” she said.

“What’s strange?” Jesse asked.

“The store is dark inside,” Gina explained. “Mr. Handford usually gets here before I do to open the store.”

“Why don’t you try the door?” Jesse said. Gina turned the knob and opened the door.

“Hello?” Gina called. “Mr. Handford? Is anyone here?”

Suddenly the lights came on, and everyone on Sesame Street shouted, “SURPRISE!”

Mr. Handford, Gordon, Susan, Maria, Luis, Ruthie, Bob, Linda, Celina, Telly, Big Bird, Rosita, Elmo, and Dave the Deliveryman were all inside. A banner hung from the ceiling that read, “CONGRATULATIONS GINA & JESSE!” A tray of cupcakes sat on the counter.

Gina gasped. Jesse’s mouth dropped. They were delighted that everyone had gathered at Hooper’s Store for them.

“How…how…how did you guys all know?” Gina stammered, still trying to regain her composure.

“A little birdie told me,” Susan explained. “Or should I say…a BIG birdie!” Everyone laughed as Big Bird smiled.

“Maria and I found out from Rosita and Telly,” Luis said. “And they had an idea to throw a surprise party for you, too!”

“Yes, we did!” Rosita said proudly. “Isn’t this wonderful?”

“I’ll say!” Jesse agreed. “I can’t believe you guys went through all this work just for us. Thank you so much!”

“We’re all so happy for you two!” Bob said.

“We sure are!” Big Bird added. “Just think…in a few years’ time, you’ll get married, have kids, and get a nice beach house in Cape Cod!”

Bob laughed. “Big Bird, that’s quite an imagination you’ve got there.”

Gina nodded. “Jesse and I are together, but we’re NOT going to get married or have kids.”

“YET!” Telly blurted out. “Not YET! But I think it’ll happen someday, because you two are IN LOVE!”

“We’ll see, Telly,” Jesse told him. “We’ll all have to wait a while and see what happens.” But deep down, he had a feeling that Big Bird and Telly were onto something.

“Enough chatter,” Mr. Handford said. “Who wants some cupcakes?”

As Mr. Handford started passing the cupcake platter around, Hoots the Owl entered.

“Hey, everybody!” Hoots greeted his neighbors. “What’s with the hubbub? I was just about to go to sleep!”

“Oh, sorry Hoots,” Gina apologized. “This is a surprise party for me and Jesse!” She gestured to the banner. Hoots read it and nodded. “We’ll try to keep it down for you, Hoots.”

“No need to!” Hoots said. “I think I can add something to this little shindig! You mind if I play some music for y’all?” Everyone cheered.

Hoots took a deep breath and started playing a romantic song on his saxophone.

Jesse and Gina took each other’s hands and slow-danced in the center of the store. Soon, the other couples followed, and everyone else watched as they danced to the beautiful melody rising from the saxophone.

Everything faded away around Gina and Jesse. Time slowed down. They focused on the most important things at that moment: each other.

If there was one word to describe this week (and Hoots’s song), it was “Unforgettable.”

Unforgettable, that’s what you are.

Unforgettable, though near or far;

Like a song of love that clings to me,

How the thought of you does things to me.

Never before has someone been more unforgettable in every way.

And forever more, that’s how you’ll stay.

That’s why darling, it’s incredible…

That someone so unforgettable

Thinks that I am unforgettable too.

This story has been brought to you by the letters G and J, and by the number 15.

GonzoMan

Reaction score
I have to say, that was the best story I've read! I would love to see a sequel in the future myself, but great work!

crackmaster

Reaction score
This is amazing. I practically grew up on the 90s/early 2000s SST.