It worked for other shows...Original Muppet Babies need to be seen!

gregishere

Reaction score
Hope some good fans can campaign to get the Original Muppet Babies released in reruns or on DVD!
It's a shame to the lovers of anything Muppets and the creative animation community.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
Now, if you remember how every episode of Muppet Babies went, then you realize where the problem is. The show is stuffed with outside video footage, from Lucasfilm to newsreels, and most of it is impossible to remove. The producers of Muppet Babies may have worked out a blanket deal with several video archive companies to keep pumping in constant footage for a flat fee. But that only applied to Saturday Morning, and the ways to distribute video that currently existed at the time (the only cuts this show got in syndication were for time, so they musta paid for perpetuity).
If someone wants to put Muppet Babies on DVD, there's no flat fee now. Yes, they would have to track down every single owner of every single live-action scene and repay them, a process that would take years and might not be worth it. It's all about the profit, and Muppet Babies isn't high-profile enough where manufacturers could see the demand paying for all the permissions.
Incidentally they did once try to release the original Muppet Babies on DVD during a revival campaign in the early 2000s with a series of plush dolls, each one with a DVD of one episode of the show, heavily edited to exclude footage owned by other studios.

gregishere

Reaction score

Incidentally they did once try to release the original Muppet Babies on DVD during a revival campaign in the early 2000s with a series of plush dolls, each one with a DVD of one episode of the show, heavily edited to exclude footage owned by other studios.
Regarding erasing certain clips, I heard the clips issued were worked out personally by the director that EACH had a contract for in perpetuity.
Now the director states out of some dispute? Or vindictive move? Disney wants the contracts but the original studios don't have them. Stalling any use.

I contend gather, if they can, a copy of the contract which the owners of the clips have, to present as what the deal was...as everyone received the same contract. Someone must have their contract.

Even for the people (like Stan Lee), but that is over with. his estate must have a copy.

I thing animated Fragglerock isn't being rerun either, but for quality sakes, and 4 Emmy wins MB is the show to work out. Maybe even edit each and include a song used.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
The series isn’t going to get a DVD release.

Many of the episodes have footage from other source material, which I honestly don’t even know if it was actually licensed to begin with, so there’s going to have to be negotiations involved in obtaining the rights, which isn’t easy.

gregishere

Reaction score
The series isn’t going to get a DVD release.

Many of the episodes have footage from other source material, which I honestly don’t even know if it was actually licensed to begin with, so there’s going to have to be negotiations involved in obtaining the rights, which isn’t easy.
These days I don't know if DVDs are still 'in' to market(some company keeps posting some for sale but they are not authorized.)

A hit show like the Original, HAD to be careful not to step over the lines, so usage of it's contents had to go through all legal channels as people LOVE to sue (just like when the George of the Jungle movie used the tv show theme.)
Since Disney owns all Star Wars, they would only have to re negotiate with themselves, and the Henson footage of Labyrinth.

3 Stooges footage, writer Jeffrey Scott and family had approval of it, maybe since sold off, but he might have a contract copy as to what was used to prove anything involved can remain..I guess that is the money issue...without proof, then renegotiations are an issue.

Maybe stream some? Who knows how
they can revive any of it and I'm sure Muppets, Babies, and Monsters are in a can somewhere as they recorded a few but only a couple aired

gregishere

Reaction score
The chances of any muppet series ever getting a dvd release is very VERY low.

The sad truth is that the majority of people aren't interested in DVDS anymore, let alone a series of DVD'S of a kids TV show from 30+ years ago which the general public doesn't care about
I understand that...have no idea if it is just an I terest of Muppet stuff collectors, but even going back to 2000. There was 'a' Muppet convention held in Santa Monica CA and never seen one of merit since.
Not sure how the company is run to generate continued interest, and as some fans say, it's not the Muppets like they grew up with.

Same goes for anything Hanna Barbera animated, I was part of one of a last idea for a show from them and wondered if a con would ever be put together celebrating their work and memory? Con producers wondered too as they know original voicers of their most memorable characters are all gone!

Time marches on. But I'm surprised of some 20+ year old shows that seem to be trying to generate attention and see some are doing it with reboot shows and movies...in the works Rockos Modern Life...Animaniacs? Or Pinky and the Brain(which had far less shows and probably awards than MB.)Ducj Tales or DarkWing Duck?
Who knows how popular 30 year old shows are but they are trying to revive many.

SpongeBob continues on with another movie I believe but that's current.

The talents for these are still around but that is what is getting attention.

Bliffenstimmers

Reaction score
A streaming service might be a possibility, if Disney is willing to dig that deep into their archives. Streaming, after all, is how Warner Bros. got out many of its animated properties to the public again, thanks to their Boomerang website. Warner also has their Warner Archive service, which has put out a lot of their older, more obscure content onto press-on-demand DVDs and Blu-rays (cult classic animated movies, rarely seen Looney Tunes and even the rest of the previously released to retail Popeye theatrical cartoons are part of this collection). It'd be a dream come true, but I think Disney has their minds set too much on profits and trends to go to any lengths to throw us fans of these dying properties a bone. It would make some sense to do that though, with the new Muppet Babies doing so well on TV. Just like the hype that centered around the 2011 Muppets movie and the failure to release the rest of the Muppet Show then, they are missing out on a golden opportunity to preserve these ancient treasures while there is an audience for them.

minor muppetz

Reaction score

Did they really edit footage out of those discs? This is the first I've heard about this. Though I'm not sure how many of us here actually bothered with those.

MuppetsBear17

Reaction score
Hope some good fans can campaign to get the Original Muppet Babies released in reruns or on DVD!
It's a shame to the lovers of anything Muppets and the creative animation community.
Are you really the voice actor of Fozzie and Scooter? Are you Greg Berg? If so, awesome.

They actually didn't edit them at all. They were uncut, even the DVD that had the Star Wars episode

Honestly, maybe they could release it. Just look at this http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/12/01/the-throwback-behind-the-scenes-on-muppet-babies/

Hank Sayoran
"as not only voice director, but story editor and VP of network series production for Marvel and executive in charge of every episode of Muppet Babies.. i assure you and Dave all that each and every clip and frame of a clip was cleared worldwide, in all media in perpetuity per our contractual obligations with the Henson organization. whoever started these rumors is just plain wrong or has the agenda of keeping the shows off the air. all clips were cleared by my office at Marvel, they could have been shown on Mars on a particle beam device and would have been cleared. anyone with questions about these rights especially at Disney should contact me."

Honestly, though i'm not sure if it's true, though it seems like it could be the real Hank Sayoran.

Last edited: