Is it ok for a character's style to evolve?

beaker

Reaction score
We've all noticed how both structurally, personality wise and fashion wise many of the Muppets have changed their style over the decades. Yet, why is it ok for some too but for others to change...it'd be considered heresy?

I've noticed some fans balk at the mere idea of the Electric Mayhem finally updating their wardrobe...I say why? If everyone else can, why not them? If anyone, musicians should be updating their look; especially when they've been in the same garish 70's look for ages.

Even the Newsman, who should always be in the iconic stripe suit, should have different color variations on it. Scooter definitely would look snazzy in a variety of looks. Heck I could see him in some sort of indie hipster New York bohemian garb.

I'm just saying, why is it always just the main characters who get to change their looks?

RedPiggy

Reaction score
People like familiarity, for one thing. Why do cartoon characters from the Simpsons to Jessie and James of Team Rocket NEVER change clothes?

Drtooth

Reaction score
I've noticed some fans balk at the mere idea of the Electric Mayhem finally updating their wardrobe...I say why? If everyone else can, why not them? If anyone, musicians should be updating their look; especially when they've been in the same garish 70's look for ages.

Even the Newsman, who should always be in the iconic stripe suit, should have different color variations on it. Scooter definitely would look snazzy in a variety of looks. Heck I could see him in some sort of indie hipster New York bohemian garb.
I wouldn't mind a new look for the Electric Mayhem. After all, they did have a dramatic style change in MTM that they kept for years and years. of course, it took them years to change back which IS still change. Janice had the 80's pony tail well into VMX. I wouldn't mind color changes in other wardrobes either. Seems the only major style changes we get ARE based on how the puppets themselves are built (not loving new Gonzo).

Even Charlie Brown's shirt changes colors nowadays.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
The Electric Mayhem HAS changed it's regular wardrobe over the years, and with the exception of Janice all of them seem to have gone back to their original outfits at times during the past decade.

During the 1980s Dr. Teeth switched from a furry colorful vest to a black leather vest, switched from wearing blue pants and brown boots to black pants and red boots (see A Muppet Family Christmas, when the camera pans over characters in the carol sing, during the song.... Hmm, don't know the title, but it's what's sung before Floyd and Janice sing "The Holy and the Ivy"), and switched from red and purple stripes to black and red stripes. He seems to have gone back to his original outfit by the early 2000s (I know he's present in the big crowd in Muppets From Space when the alien ships land, but I'm not quite sure what he wore there).

In the last season of The Muppet Show, I think starting with the Shirley Bassey episode, Floyd switched from his Sgt. Pepper outfit to a red jacket. The shirt he wears with it seemed to have been inconsistient, sometimes beign black, sometimes being white. I noticed that in the Paul Simon episode he wore a big purple tie with it. Floyd also wore a checkered shirt/jacket in a handful of 1980s productions (Rocky Mountain Holiday, A Muppet Family Christmas). Since the 1990s he has occasionally been spotted in a blue jean jacket and brown hat (in a Muppetism, the Studio DC specials, and elsewhere). He did wear his original outfit at Muppetfest back in 2001 (ironically, considering this was the first time he wore it in a long time, Gonzo asked Floyd why he always wears the same outfit... And Floyd claimed it was a new suit).

Also in the last season of The Muppet Show, Zoot switched from his original clothing to a zoot suit, which didn't last too long. In The Muppets Take Manhattan and A Muppet Family Christmas he wears a plain blue shirt (I'm not too sure if those are the same or not). In his few appearances on Muppets Tonight he wore a dress shirt similar to his original, but also wore a tie. I'm pretty sure I've seen him in his original since, but not too sure where.

Janice switched from wearing her pink tanktop to wearing a sweater during the last season, though she still wore her original outfit for most of the season. She wore her new sweater in the episodes with Melissa Manchester and Hal Lindon. In The Muppets Take Manhattan she wears her sweater at the beginning but eventually switches to a more '80s style, in addition to wearing that pony tale she's had since then. Since around It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie she's been regularly seen in a short-sleeved white shirt. Unlike the other members she's the only one who hasn't gone back to her original outfit (ironic as that was the least dated of the original EM clothing; I feel like Zoot's original attire isn't time speciffic either), but she did wear her 1980s sweater in Letters to Santa.

Animal pretty much kept his original clothing for the longest time. What he regularly wore on The Muppet Show stayed the same throughout the series. Animal started wearing different outfits in the 1980s, most of which were one-production-only outfits. On Muppets Tonight he often wore his original outfit again. Then in Muppets From Space he switched to his white t-shirt with orange sleeves, and hasn't been in his original outfit since. I think he's worn a long-sleeved shirt (similar to what he wore in The Muppets Take Manhattan, the one that wasn't a "I (insert heart here) NY" shirt) since Studio DC.

Lips never really got a regular wardrobe change (though with the limited amount of appearances it seems he was seen wearing other outfits more often than his regularl clothing). But he, like most of the other members, did wear a purple tuxedo on The Muppet Show (he probably wore that more often than his regular clothing, and considering his solos in the opening and closing, fans who remember him may remember him better in that outfit). He also wore a snazzy outfit in the Shirley Bassey and James Coburn outfits (it seems like most of the band was dressed the same in "Barnyard Boogie" and "The Roarin' Twenties" sketches... And then Floyd and Zoot kept their new outfits from those scenes). Even then it seems he hasn't been seen in his original clothes since The Muppets Take Manhattan (he wore a very siilar but different colored outfit in A Muppet Family Christmas), though I can't remember if he wore his original clothes when he appeared at the Christmas in Rockefellat pre-show.

Interestingly, while all of the (original) EM members have changed what they have regularly worn many times, they are rarely depicted in illustrations or merchandise in those newer outfits. Pretty much every time the band is in illustrated form they are seen in their original outfits. I wonder why that is (of course since 1990 they haven't had as much exposure and The Jim Henson Company probably never thought to include images of them in their updated wardrobe in style guides).

Miss Piggy, Gonzo, and Pepe also get frequent wardrobe changes. Gonzo gets a new regular outfit every few years, Pepe seems to have done so as well, and Miss Piggy hasn't really had a rgular outfit since season three of The Muppet Show.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
People like familiarity, for one thing. Why do cartoon characters from the Simpsons to Jessie and James of Team Rocket NEVER change clothes?
this is actually because its easier to draw the same outfit over and over instead of giving them a new wardrobe every episode for every new scene outside of special moments

sometimes it becomes an inside joke like in Doug or Hey Arnold, when they show the main characters closet its all the same outfit over and over

LamangoNumber2

Reaction score
Don't forget the mobster suits the Mayhem wore for Barn Yard Boogy and Alexander's Rag time band.

beaker

Reaction score
I hear ya, but the core Muppets who wear clothes(Piggy, Animal, Rizzo, Pepe, etc) are always changing their outfits and wardrobes.
For a few years Janice had a mid 80's look going on, but then it went back to the hippy stuff.

I wouldn't mind a new look for the Electric Mayhem. After all, they did have a dramatic style change in MTM that they kept for years and years. of course, it took them years to change back which IS still change. Janice had the 80's pony tail well into VMX. I wouldn't mind color changes in other wardrobes either. Seems the only major style changes we get ARE based on how the puppets themselves are built (not loving new Gonzo).

Even Charlie Brown's shirt changes colors nowadays.

Which is ironic as the whole 80's retro look didnt get popular in pop culture til a couple years after VMX

beaker

Reaction score
Interestingly, while all of the (original) EM members have changed what they have regularly worn many times, they are rarely depicted in illustrations or merchandise in those newer outfits. Pretty much every time the band is in illustrated form they are seen in their original outfits. I wonder why that is (of course since 1990 they haven't had as much exposure and The Jim Henson Company probably never thought to include images of them in their updated wardrobe in style guides).

Miss Piggy, Gonzo, and Pepe also get frequent wardrobe changes. Gonzo gets a new regular outfit every few years, Pepe seems to have done so as well, and Miss Piggy hasn't really had a rgular outfit since season three of The Muppet Show.
Good observation. I meant to say the EM keep being seen in their default 70's outfits as much as there's been individual character changes depending on the special or show, or film.
The look they had in the Muppet pilot is pretty much the look they've been in as far as their main image. To me it doesn't make sense, as everyone else has changed their wardrobe in some way. Pepe has gone from bellhop to naked to his early 2000's green shirt/baby blue hoodie to his black turtleneck look. Gonzo's had an a long array of looks, but to me is nerdy yellow plaid configuration with grey pants is my favorite.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Ultimately to me, what they look like or dress like isn't as important as the quality of the writing. :wink:

bingboingcutie

Reaction score
Ultimately to me, what they look like or dress like isn't as important as the quality of the writing. :wink:
I have to agree with you. They can look like whatever they want to me. I just like them when they keep their same innocence and heart. Like the stuff Jerry Juhl wrote for them.

Is Janice's newest outfit the one with the flowered blouse? I think that looks really cute; hippy-style and also pretty modern. Though, now that she doesn't wear a ponytail, whenever I wear one I'm not as Muppet-fan up-to-date... :flirt:

And beaker: Yeah, you're right. That zAny outfit seems perfect for Gonzo. Like he picked it out himself. I personally also like the argyle sweater-vest outfit from the 80s movies.

Also, a question: when did Rizzo drop his little yellow hat, and did he always have a jacket?