if JHH had succedded...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
what do you think would have happened if The Jim henson Hour had succeeded?

here are my thoughts:

I have read that the reason why Richard Hunt wasn't availible for this show much was becaus ehe was busy performing in the Ghost of faffner Hall, which was cancelled after one year. if the jim henson hour had succeeded, then I think Richard Hunt would have been more involved with The Jim Henson Hour. I think Scooter would have been on the show, I think Bunsen and Beaker would have appeared mire regularly, and I think Statler and Waldorf would have made more appearances.

I think that the Hurting Something sketches would have been phased out, but Anthony and Fern would have been used more in other sketches and backstage (especially since their performers didn't perform any backstage characters). I also think that Dan Redican Camille Bonora, Gordon Robertson and Rob Mills would have been given more characters.

In the last MuppeTelevision episode, Animal replaced the female drummer in the solid foam band, and Zoot replaced Flash. I have mixed feeling about whether the band would stay like this or not. dave Goelz already had a member, Digit, although Zoot probably wouldn't have spoken anyway, and Flash was one of the few muppet horn players who regularly spoke full sentences (zoot, lips and trumpet girl were usually quiet). Of course, the Electric Mayhem could have come back, and there could have been a "battle of the bands"-type episode.

I think there would have been another Dog City special, possibly some Fraggle Rock specials, and maybe a half-hour long Fashion Dolls sketch. There could have also been an hour-long (or half-hour long) Pigs In Space special. I also think the crew of Gorrillia television would have had their own half-hour special, and there might have been a computer-animated special.

If the show was more popular, I think that Digit, Leon, Beard, Flash and maybe Vicki and Lindberg would still be around in new productions on a regular basis. I also think that some of jerry nelsons classic characters, like Robin and camillia, would have eventually been used from time to time.

I don't think Rizzo would be a major character now if this show was a success. Although Steve Whitmire was constantly performing Rizzo throughout the 1980s, on this show he wasnt used much (I think less than during the last season of the muppet show, where he was in almost every episode). Steve Whitmire was also busy performing many new characters, including Bean Bunny, Flash, jaques Roache, and Waldo C. Graphic.

Of course, Jim Henson died so soon after the show was cancled, so I am not sure whether the show would have continued. I am not sure if a new host would have been brought in (perhaps the guest star could make the introductions). I am not sure if muppetelevision would have continued. if it did, I am sure that there would have been more pressure to recast Kermit, unless they had him take a break (or retire) from performing and let the other muppets alternate between hosting. There could have been new programing for the first half-hour, perhaps a show hosted by Gonzo or Bean Bunny, maybe a new half-hour show featuring original characters, maybe a half-hour of Gorrillia television, maybe some new Muppet Babies episodes (although i am not sure if CBS would have allowed it). Maybe there would have been more hour-long specials. Maybe Gonzo, Miss Piggy, fozzie bear, The Electric mayhem, Rowlf, Scooter, Bean Bunny, Leon or Solid Foam would have had their own solo specials. There would have probably been a Jim Henson tribute special.

what are your thoughts?

DerekJ

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
what do you think would have happened if The Jim henson Hour had succeeded?

<snippety-snip>
Well, one thing we DO know is that the Disney Channel would've gone ahead with airing "Muppet High School" anyway.

But I'm sorry, I'm interrupting your post about what creative things would have happened... :smile:

minor muppetz

Reaction score
DerekJ said:
Well, one thing we DO know is that the Disney Channel would've gone ahead with airing "Muppet High School" anyway.

But I'm sorry, I'm interrupting your post about what creative things would have happened... :smile:
Don't apologize. Muppet High School does sound like it could have been a good idea for series, and any thoughts about what could have happened to The jim henson our is welcome/ i wonder if Muppet High School would have been part of the jim henson hour or a different series.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
some more things that could have been done if the show was still on after Jim Henson died:

it's possible that animated muppet segments, possibly with different voices, could hav ebeen produced. after all, the simpsons were becoming popular and most networks tried to produce their own prime-time animated shows (although most of them failed, and it wouldn't be too common for there to be successful prime time cartoons untill around 1999). I think henson and Disney had planned on producing some animated muppet programs before Jim Henson died. It would be a way to get Kermit active on the show without worrying about a new voice for the puppet, and the same could be said about jim hensons other characters, as well as frank oz's characters.

Perhaps many of the shows could also have included half-hour specials for the first half, and behind-the-scenes specials for the second half.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I would like to add that if the show was more successful then I think Palisades would have gotten the rights to make characters, variants and accessories from The Jim Henson Hour in it's collection of Muppet action figures.

Drtooth

Reaction score
For JHH to have succeded IMO was that if NBC (which is notorious for such a thing) had actually bothered to promote the show more, and put it on at a better time slot, it could have gone on a bit longer. But then again, even if it did, Jim Henson's death would have ended the project anyway.

Ratlover

Reaction score
Speaking of JHH....

Does anyone have a copy of Dog City? I have been searching far and wide for a copy of this classic but, of course, have not been successful. Do any of you have a copy? Could someone help me out?

Thanks a bunch!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Drtooth said:
For JHH to have succeded IMO was that if NBC (which is notorious for such a thing) had actually bothered to promote the show more, and put it on at a better time slot, it could have gone on a bit longer. But then again, even if it did, Jim Henson's death would have ended the project anyway.
This may not count, but when Sesame Street: 20 and Still Counting was broadcast, there were two promos for this show, and it was the only show promoted during that broadcast. One promo had clips from the first episode, and the other one had Jim Henson talking about his plans for the show.