Happy 30th anniversary to "Muppet Christmas Carol"!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Hard to believe it's been 3 decades since MCC's release. Just in time for that, of course, D+ released a version in 4K and with "When Love is Gone" restored to the movie in widescreen!

I can understand those who didn't see the song in the theater feeling like it stands out like it doesn't belong there. But the song is still reprised in a happier version at the very end of the movie (a dramatic choice that doesn't make much sense if you haven't seen the song the first time), and it also gets reprised over the end credits, which also feels odd if it wasn't there earlier.

I think it's a beautiful song and it's important emotional shading for Scrooge. While he's not fully changed, he's never quite the same again after this point in the movie.

And if you don't like it, D+ still has the original theatrical version. In fact, you have to dig into the special features just to see this wonderful version.

I appreciate the concern that Kermit, Piggy, and Fozzie don't have much to do in this movie. But given the source material, there really wasn't much of anyone else they could play. Also, at the time, it was novel (and amazing) to see the Gonzo-Rizzo pairing. As the '90s wore on, we missed the main characters more and more, but for this film, it feels just right.

This is the first Muppet movie since founder Jim Henson and puppeteer Richard Hunt passed away. Nearly everyone else is still involved, and they bring all their years of talent and skill - and their tremendous affection for Henson and Hunt - into every frame. When Kermit/Bob Cratchit says, "There are comings and partings, and that is the way of things," it gets me every time.

I also like the fact that the spirits of Christmas Past and Future both feel like something more out of a Creature Shop production than a typical Muppet movie. For this story, it fits, and it makes the movie feel like a celebration of Henson's entire body of work.

All of the performers are wonderful, but I have to give a special shout-out to Jerry Nelson, likely the only person to ever play Jacob Marley, the Spirit of Christmas Present, and Tiny Tim all in the same production!

Happy 30th, MCC!