From Donald to Harry

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I'm sure most of you will be well aware(if you've read the guide for the Valentine Show pilot) that the character we all know as Crazy Harry was called Crazy Donald in this special (which let's hope gets to be on Season 2 TMS set uncut)
The thought just crossed my mind do you think it was a good idea to change the name in the end? Does the name Crazy Harry have a much better ring to it?
What's in a name of course? When I was a child my mother and I used to call him Mad Harry for some reason I don't know why. I found out later as an older child watching reruns that it was crazy not mad, which technically means the same thing in the end. But I am digressing.
The name Crazy Donald could have been kept of course. The only thing that would have been drastically altered in the series is that they couldn't have had the cold opening in the Harry Belafonte episode where the guest tells Scooter he's offended because he overheard some muppets cautioning each other to stay out of his dressing room because Crazy Harry was inside it. And Scooter is blasted while he tells Mr. Belafonte that they were not talking about him.
But to get to the point finally I do like Harry better than Donald and do any of you agree or disagree?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I have read that he was called mad Harry in some of the Muppet annuals. Maybe that's where the confusion comes from. I'm not sure if you're from the united states or the united kingdom (or somewhere else), but most of those annuals were only released in the united kingdom (one of them was released in the united states, but with a different title, I think that one was called Muppet Madness).

:crazy:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
Yes that is probably where we got the name from. And for the record I live in Australia and I did have some Muppet annuals so I must have picked up one of those few copies that came to my country with the alternate name in it.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Bill Bubble Guy said:
Yes that is probably where we got the name from. And for the record I live in Australia and I did have some Muppet annuals so I must have picked up one of those few copies that came to my country with the alternate name in it.
Oh, I don't really know if they were released in countries outside of the U.K., but I know that most weren't released in the U.S.

I once e-mailed henson.com and asked why the name was changed, and I was told that the people at henson just liked the sound of the name Harry better. Of course, in that same e-mail I asked several other questions, they responded pretty fast, and most of the answers didn't look like much thought or research were put into it (for some answers, the person responding was treating characters like real people, saying that Seymour nor longer appeared with pepe after Muppets Tonight because they broke up the act, and that Lips didn't appear in Muppets From Space because he wanted more money than what was in the budget).

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
I once e-mailed henson.com and asked why the name was changed, and I was told that the people at henson just liked the sound of the name Harry better. Of course, in that same e-mail I asked several other questions, they responded pretty fast, and most of the answers didn't look like much thought or research were put into it (for some answers, the person responding was treating characters like real people, saying that Seymour nor longer appeared with pepe after Muppets Tonight because they broke up the act, and that Lips didn't appear in Muppets From Space because he wanted more money than what was in the budget).
That's really very funny:big_grin: I wonder how much money was in the standard amount budgeted for each character who appeared in MFS:crazy:

Jon

Reaction score
Me and my brother also knew him as Mad Harry when we were growing up! Infact i only realised it was Crazy about five years ago