Extra Muppets tonight segments

minor muppetz

Reaction score
can anybody tell me what all of the extra u.k. skits on muppets Tonight were about? i know that most of them were recurring skits, like real world muppets (which was only shown in the u.s. version of one episode), swift witts, fairyland p.d., the skits with clueless morgan, and the skits with howard pudman and carter. it is weird that the u.k. had recurring skits not shown in america, and even characters that the u.s. fans didn't see very often. it is also weird that these skits were not usually music numbers (most of the u.k. spots on the muppet show were songs). If disney releases muppets tonight on DVD, I hope that the u.k. spots are included.

:rolleyes:

Beauregard

Reaction score
Clueless Morgan was on MT???? Holy Cow!!! I must see this! He's my favorite MTI charcter!!!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Beauregard said:
Clueless Morgan was on MT???? Holy Cow!!! I must see this! He's my favorite MTI charcter!!!
Hee, I guess Canada got those UK skits, because I remember watching Clueless on MT. :big_grin: It was him, and I believe another MTI Character, I think it was Polly, and they'd always be talking to their boss, who you never really saw. I LOVE Clueless!

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
I'm sure I've mentioned about Clueless and Polly on Muppets Tonight before - they had a little bar regularly frequeted by the hands of a single patron: Mr Callahan.

I have a number of Muppets Tonight episodes on video and I will happily watch them again to assertain what the UK skits were - but I can't promise that I will actually know which is the UK Skit - I assume all I have to go on is that they are self contained and probably in the middle of the show.

As for them not being musical that's probably a reflection on the fact that there didn't seem to be as many musical numbers in Muppets Tonight to begin with.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Harvey Towers said:
I'm sure I've mentioned about Clueless and Polly on Muppets Tonight before - they had a little bar regularly frequeted by the hands of a single patron: Mr Callahan.
how was the rest of mr. callahan not seen? (was the rest of his body covered by something, or did we see what he saw, or something else?)

Harvey Towers said:
I have a number of Muppets Tonight episodes on video and I will happily watch them again to assertain what the UK skits were - but I can't promise that I will actually know which is the UK Skit - I assume all I have to go on is that they are self contained and probably in the middle of the show.
On The Muppet Show, the u.k. spots were usually the first segment shown after the middle commercial break. there are some exceptions (like the sherlock holmes sketch in the Joel Grey episode).

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
As I understand it... Mr. Callahan was a pair of hands placed just out of shot so that Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan could interact with him as their recurring patron.
Ask MuppetDude or Xerus to help with a descript of him.

MWoO

Reaction score
The Polly and Clueless skit was shown from the persepctive of Mr. Calahan. It was very much like a first person shoot game where all you see are the hands of your character. Same thing here.

Stulz

Reaction score
more....

I've seen many of the MT UK skits and the aren't always in the same place as they were with TMS or as good. Many of them tended to be placed in diferrent parts of the show, though usually in the 2nd act.

It would habe been nice to have Polly and Clueless integrated more into the show. After the 2nd or 3rd "Mr Callahan" sketch it gets old epecially (and yes your reading this correctly) since he's a cross dresser for no apparent reason.

The best MT UK skit was a return of the Real World: Muppets.

Harvey Towers

Reaction score
Muppets Tonight was - I think - orginally shown on the BBC in the UK (though it may have been repeated on Sky One) so there were no adverts. I had always though the purpose of a UK skit was to fill this gap until I found out that The Muppet Show was shown on ITV (which does had adverts.) That was a surprise to me because when I was young I was sure that at least one "Muppet Show" (the John Cleese Ep) was shown on the BBC.

Anyway, the skit was quite repetitive but that was in the nature of the writing whihjc had a very set formula. It began with Polly mixing Mr Callahan a drink, then calling out Clueless, Clueless makes a comment about how Mr Callahan is dressed, a joke, Clueless breaking into song then either being hit by Polly or secoming to a Newsman like fate...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This might be off-topic, but was Muppets Tonight filmed in england, the U.S., or another country?

I believe that most shows produced in england and canada have extra segments not shown in the american broadcasts. of course, the Jim Henson Hour was filmed in canada, and i don't think that show had anything that the americans didn't see (well, except for the "Food" episode :smile: )

another television show that had extra segments outside north america was SCTV, at least in the third season. For those who have seen this show, all od The great White North segments from the third season were shown in canada to fill two extra minutes, but they were so popular that these sketches were included in the u.s. version during the fourth season, which expanded to 90 minutes (and i have heard that the 90 minute shows were edited down to an hour in canada, and I am not sure if the first two seasons had extra skits).