Emmet Otter DVD: History Revisioning

beaker

Reaction score
Well well well, the long awaited 1977 special Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, a MUPPET special...is being released by HIT...MINUS the Kermit scenes. Are the Disney lawyers that crumudgeonly to give a rat's behind if there's a few Kermit scenes in there? Henson is trying to play history revisionism...I mean it's one thing to get rid of all traces of Kermit in post 2000 Sesame productions, but taking Kermit out of a Muppet special is really sad.

Once again, another reason we should all be ashamed of the Henson kids selling out to the rat fink pariah.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
It sucks, but the version(s?) that have already been released edit out most of the Kermit scenes. At least it's being released. If push come to shove, I feel watered down stuff is better then no stuff at all, even though that sounds so low expectational.

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
Disney is not the one's causing this, it is HIT's decision. They want to release a quick, easy, and cheap DVD. By spending time, energy, workers, (and possibly some money) working with Disney to be able to keep Kermit's small role in the special is something they don't feel is needed and would only cost them a little more money and work.

Disney is not being mean or bullies and saying "give us alot of money and you can keep the frog in the special"; HIT just didn't want to waste their time with all the paper work and negotiations that legally would be needed to clear the use of the frog (and since time is money, and they wanted to keep the cost down to make a nice cheap and easy release, I think you can figure out that they did). They decided not to go after Disney for the permission to keep Kermit, instead they went the quick and easy way; they just decided to cut Kermit out.

HIT figures that Kermit's small scenes are not the selling point of the special and most of the people they will be marketing the DVD towards (and hopefully buying it) will not even know (or care) that Kermit was cut out.

The HIT DVD is planned for release on October 4, 2005 for a retail price around $9.99 (or less).

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
Well Columbia Tristar relased the dvd non too long ago with edits but not as much as Hit is going about it....I can say that the Columbia Tristar version didn't sell well in my area and that HAD kermit on the cover which was used as a selling point, this has already been pointed out GelflingWaldo. I can't see the reason at all for hit making this dvd, they should just SCRAP the idea!!! They are wasting money if they put it out on dvd!!! I only have the Columbia Tristar Jugband Christmas on VHS, but now i might track down that dvd is HIT is doing this.....

Animal

Reaction score
BOOO! :mad:

Now I won´t buy the dvd. I actually also bought the first dvd-version from Columbia TriStar, AND I have the complete uncut VHS-version!

So, I´ll save my money for the MS and FR box-sets!YAY! :smile:

-Hans :halo:

anathema

Reaction score
Does anyone know which of the two edits of the programme this release is being based on? In other words, is this just a cut-down version of the Columbia release, or are they going back to the original broadcast version?

GelflingWaldo

Reaction score
anathema said:
Does anyone know which of the two edits of the programme this release is being based on? In other words, is this just a cut-down version of the Columbia release, or are they going back to the original broadcast version?
They have not released that information yet. All they are willing to say is that Kemit will be not be seen.

Zack the Dog

Reaction score

I don't know, but you know what I think, it's mostlikey just going to be a more chopped up version of the Columbia release, if they are not doing anything about keeping Kermit in the flim then i bet there are just going with what's already cheaply available to them. It's a shame, a waste of plastic, money, time, and space. :sympathy: They really should scrap the idea. Even thought HIT is handling all this i guess? I'd like to know what the Henson company is thinking. They should have a say.

Animal

Reaction score
I believe it´s going to be just a "cut-down" version of the Columbia release...!

Too bad!

-Hans :halo: :halo: :halo:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Animal said:
BOOO! :mad:

Now I won´t buy the dvd. I actually also bought the first dvd-version from Columbia TriStar, AND I have the complete uncut VHS-version!

So, I´ll save my money for the MS and FR box-sets!YAY! :smile:

-Hans :halo:
So you have the uncut version of the whole speical on VHS? As in when it aired on HBO back then? I would love to do a trade with you. here's my email

goodwillykyle@sbcglobal.net