Dragon's Lair

GWGumby

Reaction score
Ah yeah, the 80s nostalgia revival is in full swing. With Masters of The Universe kicking off tomorrow, and Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake merchandise coming back to stores. The Muppets...well we all know about them.

And now, the newest piece of pure 80s joy: Dragon's Lair! This game changed my life and I've been waiting years for little pieces of Dirk The Daring and his adventures that I could own for myself. I played the awful original Nintendo version as well as the postage-stamp-sized-heavily-edited-PC version of the game waiting for the home market to catch up so that I could play the real thing that I lost so many quarters on.

Now, on the verge of the release of the all new Dragon's Lair 3D, comes the beautiful set of Dragon's Lair action figures. Thanks to my wife and a shopping trip to the mall last night, I finally own my very own Dirk the Daring, Princess Daphne, and, of course, Singe The Dragon!!!! (Also, Mordroc the Wizard who was the antagonist of DL2, but not as well known.)

Though not quite the amazing quality of the Muppets, these are still quite nice. They are well articulated, and like the Muppets, contain various pieces of soft and hard plastic where appropriate to allow movement around clothes and cloaks. Singe's tail and head are even bendable to allow some nice poses.

Anyway, as you can tell I'm pretty excited about these new toys as well as the upcoming game. I've been a huge fan of Don Bluth since the first DL game came out and am anxiously holding my breath that the game is successful enough that they can finally get the Dragon's Lair: The Movie going into full production.

Hey Michael Crawford, if you're reading this, have you seen these yet? Will you be reviewing them any time soon?

beaker

Reaction score
Ive seen the figures! Back in 1983 when I was 5, I marveled at laser disc games like dragons lair, space ace, cobra command, and lupin III. sure there wasnt much 'playsability', but man did they beat the pants off food fight and cenepede!

Btw, Dragons Lair 1&2, and Space Ace are available for the dvd.
Yes folks, video games on dvd, woo!

Then again, if theres a new movie, not sure how relevant Don Bluth's animation is...given the poor turnout for Titan AE.

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

Then again, if theres a new movie, not sure how relevant Don Bluth's animation is...given the poor turnout for Titan AE.
Hey, I'll forgive Titan AE, All Dogs Go To Heaven, and Rock-A-Doodle for one good Dragon's Lair movie!

Sadly for Don Bluth, he hasn't been all that lucky as far as movies go. Especially since "Secret of NIMH" is about the only film he's been able to do without a studio getting in a mucking everything up. On NIMH he had the freedom to make things dark and make a non-Disney movie. Titan AE, on the other hand, was one of those movies where the studio forced him into pleasing too many audiences and thus succeeding with none. As a result of its failure, Fox shut down its animation studio. Now Don Bluth is an independent entity once again with plans on making a Dragon's Lair movie. Hopefully with potential successful revival with the game and figures, that movie will finally get made.