Dinosaurs Finale

How did the Dinosaurs finale affect you?

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Also another thing I wondered is, well the animation characters are half costume, half waldo controlled puppet. How do the puppeteers inside get in and out of them? They are so well built, you never see any kind of zipper or seem or anything like that.
I assume that any cuts or parts that get put together would have been hidden by the clothing. Aside from Baby Sinclair we never see any of the dinosaurs characters naked.

Yorick

Reaction score
I guess Spike was likeable since he wasn't all bad, and has potential to change...and as for what style he was going for, I think he's some kind of Heavy Metal fan, but I could be wrong. He and Robbie do a song on the Big Songs CD you mentioned, (which doesn't have any Dtv songs, but those are funny!) and the song Robbie and Spike do has the Metal guitar sound, but the song is about how the main character in the song would make the world peaceful if he was king, and he'd clearly be the nicest king ever (Robbie sings it). I like the song a lot, actually.

I always wanted to find a photo of that Abbey Road homage they do for the album and print it out and frame it :smile: But I can't find it online.

Moggery the Trash heap (that's her name right?
It's Marjory, but I can see how the accent Philo and Gunge, have could make it sound like that! I like all the info you've shared here, and I forgot the lobsters!

Speaking of Toxie earlier, I think he (along with Superman of course!) may have inspired Captain Impressive!

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
I finally saw the finale for the first time this weekend. Man, that was depressing, but extremely well done. And I can honestly see Jim ending the series that way.

Baby Sinclair: "But, what's gonna happen to us?"

Earl: "After all, dinosaurs have been on this Earth for 150 million years. And it's not like we're gonna just disappear."

Howard Handupme: "Goodnight. Goodbye."

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I finally saw the finale for the first time this weekend. Man, that was depressing, but extremely well done. And I can honestly see Jim ending the series that way.

Baby Sinclair: "But, what's gonna happen to us?"

Earl: "After all, dinosaurs have been on this Earth for 150 million years. And it's not like we're gonna just disappear."

Howard Handupme: "Goodnight. Goodbye."
Yes, it's a very dark ending to the series but it kind of makes sense in a way. Dinosaurs lived dysfunctional and destroying the environment and then it's too late. It's very good satire. :smile: I remember Howard Handupme on screen saying how the weather of extreme cold would be a sign of the likely change that the heat from the sun will not ever raise again. Like you mentioned, how he says good bye, and a few seconds of silence. Amazing.

I remember seeing on the documentary on one of the DVD sets on how they were trying to figure out how to end the series and one of the ideas was an asteroid comes and blows up the Earth. But then ABC was concerned about any younger viewers witnessing Baby Sinclair knowing he's not going to exist after the camera goes off. So they wrote it having the family together and caring for each other even though a dark situation was coming their way. And I think that's one of the things that satire does best. Sometimes it's funny while making it's point, then there's times where it's serious and making it's point. It's beautifully done. :smile:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
I also find this show to be a darker, more cynical version of Fraggle Rock. Same issues (war, greed, environmental preservation, connection amongst different living things, etc). But clearly Jim and later after Jim creators of Dinosaurs (in The Works it's mentioned Jim actually came up with the idea before he passed away, including the idea that modernity ruined everything) got more cynical this time around.

And I loathe both the fact I gave away my Big Songs tape, as I couldn't seem to find it anywhere after that AND only I'm the Baby is featured on it from the show. I did like Robbie and Spike's song. I also found He's a Lizard to be a good song. Otherwise, I kinda found most of them blah (I had to laugh with Poor Slobs with Terrible Jobs, though, LOL). I would've liked to see It's a Most Unusual Day, the USO medley, and Pearl's songs on there as well. *sigh*

CaseytheMuppet

Reaction score
I really liked this ending. (No, I am not a fan of morbid death, but I thought this was a very sad but satisfying way to end the show)

mupcollector1

Reaction score
I also find this show to be a darker, more cynical version of Fraggle Rock. Same issues (war, greed, environmental preservation, connection amongst different living things, etc). But clearly Jim and later after Jim creators of Dinosaurs (in The Works it's mentioned Jim actually came up with the idea before he passed away, including the idea that modernity ruined everything) got more cynical this time around.
Yes Dinosaurs is definitely more darker then Fraggle Rock. Fraggle Rock was aimed towards Children / Family with the message of harmony towards the world no matter the differences of the characters. Though Dinosaurs was a satire towards humanity. During Jim's final work like on The Jim Henson Hour, there was some satirical elements in some of the episodes. For example, the fish story in the second MuppeTelevision episode ends sort of grim and up in the air and the last scene is Kermit sitting in a chair looking at fish in the TV monitors, he slowly turns towards the screen and says quietly "Goodnight everybody", fades to black. That story was sort of a political environmental message kind of like with Fraggle Rock but ends kind of grimly. Then there was episodes that were more comedic satire like the K.D Lang episode where the captain, Rizzo and the rats, and the Garbage bags through themselves into the ocean floating away from the boat in the ending number "On the Road Again" Coming To A Beach Near You! lol Even Jim's character "Bugsy Them" in Dog City has said "Senseless Violence has got me where I am today and don't you forget it." lol As well as all the other remarks on Senseless Violence. lol Great satire. :smile:

I friend of mine told me about Pan's Labrynth once and told me that if Jim was still doing work, this is the direction he would probably be taking. The more darker storytelling sort of thing which I thought was quite and interesting thought. I agree with the environmental satire as well as the satire of the negative messages that are being said in modern television. And I feel that Dinosaurs was about that. Especially the DTV segments. For example "Captain Action Figure" is a satire on how people in Television take advantage of Children to sell a product, TriceraCops lampoons TV violence. Even episodes like Smoo (swearing on TV), Network Genius (the stupidity of television and a lampoon on executives), and the Potatoism (religion), and Happy Leaf (drugs) episodes. In my opinion, I feel that Dinosaurs was one of the best written TV shows ever. Very smart and cleaver writing. :smile: