Count ancestry

Skeeter8

Reaction score
Have there been any other "undead aristocratic" muppets on SS other than Count von Count and Countess Dahling von Dahling?

Interesting info about The Count according to an English prof I had in university: He has a continental European accent rather than an English accent because the title does not exist in England (They have Earls instead)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Ask and ye shall receive, Ah Ha!

1 The Count von Count, my user ID namesake and mentor.
2 Countess Dahling von Dahling, identified by her blonde curly hair and necklace with the numbers from 1 to 10 in perfect ascending order from her right to left shoulder.
3 Countess von Backwards, identified by her dark brown hair and necklace with the numbers from 10 to 0 in perfect descending order from her right to left shoulder.
4 The Count's Mother, seen in an old sketch where she's teaching the Count as a baby to count up to 3.
5 The Count's Brother, mentioned by a fellow forum member though the source member's ID escapes my memory fright now.

Oh, and here's something else to feed that vampiric ancestry investigation. With the obvious gender differences, I believe that these characters are based on the Azeman of South American folklore. The Azeman is the name of a female vampire from South America who can be defended against in a most unusual manner. Rather than a wreath of garlic or crosses, walkers arm themselves with a handful of plastic beads or broomsticks or small objects like these. When the Azeman comes to try to attack them, the intended victim throws their items onto the floor at the Azeman's feet. This allows the person to escape as the female vampire stops to count all the trinkets she finds at her toes, forgetting about her intended kill. Hope this helps, and have a great day.

Pino

Reaction score
Well I believe there was also a duchess?? or was that just in Dutch Sesamestreet??

Skeeter8

Reaction score
Did the dutchess have a duke? (I still think there should be an Earl on SS too. His name can be Earl Lee Morning-LOL)

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, if Sesame Workshop's character creations team is reading this thread I personally doubt that they'd be able to pull that off. The reason I say so is because there'd be copyright problems with Broderbond Co. over that name. The reason I see this problem arising is that these guys are the makers of the Carmen Sandiego games, and there's one (I believe it's Where in Time?) where A henchcrook's name is Earl E. Bird. Oh wait, just typing this out I guess there wouldn't be any problems, guess it's a question of semantics in the similarities of the names. Besides, they could always use such a nobleman character if SW decides to pursue that Northern Ireland or UK version they wanted to make earlier last year. Hope this helps.

Skeeter8

Reaction score
I don't think the typical American, adult or child would "get it", anyway. I didn't even think about it until after my prof's comment. Question is: is it different when it comes to human characters? Jennifer Aniston's character on Friends is "Rachel Green". Mark Greene's (played by Anthony Edwards) daughter's name on ER is Rachel Greene!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, seeing as how the example put forth comes from two different NBC shows, I don't see where they might have a problem with it. Granted, you have to keep clear the distinction between the Friends character and the ER character, but this doesn't seem to be that a great an obstacle because both shows are owned and aired on NBC. Where there might be a problem is if you have a "Rachael Green character" on an NBC show and a "Rachael Green character" on an ABC or CBS show. Then, the lawyers might close in around the legal squabble like vultures ready to pick the bones of their next meal. (Sorry to get a little dark on you.) Hope this helps clear things up.

Skeeter8

Reaction score
But wasn't Carmen Sandiego on PBS? Not to mention: On ER, Mark's father's name is David. Brendan Fraser's character on School Ties was also David Greene. Nothing happened there. But then again, perhaps they were willing to overlook the fact since David Greene on ER was not a lead character.

Splurge

Reaction score
Well, you often see Kings when Bob narrates a story narrated by the Anything Muppets, like The King and the Fireman.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, Skeeter8, there was a version of Carmen Sandiego as a live game show on PBS. But didn't you wonder why there weren't any of the characters from the actual computer games? I mean, there were no appearances by:
Lynn Gweeny
Nosmo King
Astro Fissix
Bea Miupscotti
Miles Long
Rhoda Lotamiles
Lucinda Daboltz
Chips Motherboard
Luce Leaf
Chuck Roast
Karl LaFong
Benjamin Hannah
Gypsy Rose Lasagne
Bill Ding & Lee Ding
Brenda & Cobina Vanderbilt.

The list could go on and on, and even the animated series had to come up with brand new characters. So there could be a legal problem with the registered computer games' character names.
BTW: What did you think about the origin of the Azeman that I included in my first post? Hope this helps and have a good night.