Comic talk: Drawing and more!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is an area created to talk about comics, drawing and artistic whim. :smile:

Now that my online comic is in the works, I have a few observations.

Even though some comics are funny, not all of them are, so isn't it time to call them something different? Or will that mean that they can't be funny then? I have heard the term graphic novel, but it just doesn't sound as slick as comic.

Can my comic be episodic, dramatic and comical at times? I know it can be anything I want it to be, but I am not that knowledgeable in the history of the comic. This is a way to showcase my characters and storyline without having to struggle with months of animation for a few seconds. I really like the medium and have always admired it. I have already begun production on my site and it will go live later this summer. I just want to add the right touch.

radionate

Reaction score
Jamie,

I don't know if you are referring to comic books (which I think you are), or comic strips (like the funny pages in newspapers).

If you are referring to newspaper comics, I've always thought they should be called "strips". Think about it. Many strips these days are episodic. They are constantly moving the story and characters forward. In the past few weeks Crankshaft has focused on a dead son (at least I think he’s dead), Baldo on his dead Mother, Cathy on getting older and being single without kids (ok that’s what every Cathy is about, but I still love it), and Doonsbury is the grandfather of them all.

For Better or For Worse, in my opinion, is the best at this right now (its really one of my favorite strips). It is often funny, but more times poignant, emotional, griping, political, and enlightening. Lynn Johnston has covered everything from death, marriage, birth, coming out, cancer, theft, aging, and child abuse in her strip. All while still entertaining readers, making us smile, and drawing us in! (No pun intended)

If soap operas, which are funny (mainly from the bad acting), sad, gripping, etc. can be called "soaps", then why not call comic strips, "strips". It seems logical to me.

Maybe I should try and start my own vocabulary trend. And if you disagree with me, "Your Face!"

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Froggy...

How about "EPIC?" Huh? Serial Epics! There ya go!

Dramatic Tooning?

Hmm...I dunno.

FOZ

(I'll stick to stripping...COMIC STRIPS that is!)

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
All these good ideas! None of them have the zip of comic. We need to invent a term!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, our cartoonists dinner meeting is next thoisday, doc. I'll ask and see what we can think up.

Then again, with burgers and fries in front of us, probably not too much.

FOZ

Although, they DO have these REALLY nice chicken and pineapple shishkabobs!! MMMMMMMM!!! :stick_out_tongue: