Classic Hollywood references in segments

SkyeFan

Reaction score
As a big fan of classic movies, I have always noticed that from time to time, Sesame Street would often do a segment that would parody either a classic movie, or just a scene from a classic movie, or else a Muppet character would be based off a classic Hollywood star. Sometimes, memorable catchphrases from classic movies, radio or television programs would be written in scripts to be uttered by characters. This style of parody is done in many Looney Tunes cartoons, but on Sesame Street, they have managed to do this just as well. Most especially during the show's "golden years".

We all know that Maria has impersonated Charlie Chaplin several times as his iconic tramp character in several skits, and The Count was based off of Bela Lugosi, and let's not forget the MANY parodies "Monsterpiece Theatre" has to offer, but what are some of the less obvious references made on the show? Ones that not many people would get "right away" or ones that would be understood by the "real" buffs of classic movies and whatnot.

I do know a few-

In a news segment when Kermit was helping Don Music "write" the Sesame Street theme song, Kermit was twice calling Don's name very much like how Jack Benny would call his announcer, Don Wilson on "The Jack Benny Program". Of course, Don Music had to respond "EEE-YEEEEEEESSSS?!" just like Frank Nelson (hilarious character actor) from the same show.

Also, Lefty the Salesman was clearly patterned after Sheldon Leonard's shady character he's best known for from "The Jack Benny Program".

I kind of have a feeling that the Humpty Dumpty character from another news segment with Kermit, was based off of Joe E. Brown (comedic actor in pictures mostly during the 1930s and 40s who's best known for his very wide mouth) judging by his voice and also maybe due to his rather large mouth, as well.

I should also mention that the feature film "Sesame Street Presents: Follow That Bird" was rather loosely inspired by "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World", because of how the various characters are taking different forms of transportation on a quest to find Big Bird, just like how in "Mad World", various celebrities making cameos take part in a search for some hidden treasure.

Let's not forget that one parody of both the radio and TV show "Dragnet" with the two AM policemen on a search for a wanted letter W. This one was always one of my favorites. Anytime W would be a featured letter on the show, I would always hope that this segment would be shown.

Also, would anyone know if "Sesame Street" at one time had ever done a parody of the "Make-Believe" song from "SHOW BOAT" with perhaps Muppet caricatures of both Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel?

If not, that would have been a PERFECT song to parody on "Sesame Street", with lyrics referencing the concept of "imagination".
I can see Kathryn Grayson as the lavender Anything Muppet, and Howard Keel as the one used for Guy Smiley. Just a thought, though.

I'd also like to point out that I've always really liked how many educational children's programs such as "Sesame Street", as well as others like
"The Electric Company" and even "The Letter People" would make references to classic movies and such in order to gain interest from adults.

Last edited:

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
I read somewhere that Guy Smiley was modeled after, but not based on, game show host Jim Perry. Perry was most known for hosting the original "Card Sharks" from 1978 until 1981, plus the 1980s version of "Sale of the Century" in the U.S.