characters in style guides

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Can anybody make a list of all the characters who have appeared in The Muppet Show style guides? Muppet Wiki lists characters who appear in the Sesame Street style guides, but not TMS ones.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
That one must have been from the 1980s or 1990s, judging by Gonzo being in his 1980s outfit. I was more curious about what characters appear in the style guides made during the time that The Muppet Show was on the air.

I don't know how many style guides were made during The Muppet Show's run, but it seems like some minor characetrs have been illustrated alot, and others haven't appeared in illustrated form as much. I've looked at some Muppet books made during the 1970s and early 1980s, and looked at pages on Muppet Wiki, listing the characters who appear in certain books, as well as lisings of book appearances by certain characters. The Mupet Show Book had quite a few minor characters, but obviously the writer and illustrator was using the actual show as a refference. I don't know if the style guide was used for that book.

It seems to me like nobody from Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers ever appeared in illustrated form (at least not any illustrations officially licensed by Henson or Disney), but The Gogalala Jubilee Jugband has appeared in The Comic Mupet Book and Mupets at Sea, two books that had been made long after Lubbock Lou and his Jughuggers replaced the first jugband.

A lot of monsters have appeared in illustrated form. It seems like Thog has appeared in a lot of illustrations, but I don't know of many featuring Timmy or Mean Mama. It also seems like Annie Sue didn't appear in very many illustrations, and I would think that she was just as major as Crazy Harry, Lew Zealand, and Beauregard, who all appeared in a lot of illustrations. I don't think there are many illustrated books with Pops or The Newsman, either. But J.P. Grosse has had made quite a few book appearances, usually with some significance.

And I beleive that it's also rare for characters like Lips, Fletcherbird, Geri and the Atrics, Bobby Benson, Trumpet Girl, Nigel, and Gaffer to appear in illustrated form. But Rizzo appeared in a lot of books made years before he was finally one of the main characters, and was even mentioned by name in a lot of those books.

Muppet Wiki has a few listings of characters who appear in the various Sesame Street style guides, and it seems like those are more complete. Of course, there are many characters who are rarely seen in books other than The Sesame Street Treasury, The Sesame Street Library, and The Sesame Street Dictionary, but I think it would be hard to write stories for many of thsoe characters. The characters I am referring to are Guy Smiley, Fat Blue, Lefty, Don Music, Chris and the Alphabeats, and Little Jerry and the Monotones. And outside of the Dictionary books, I don't think I've seen Don Music or Chris and the Alphabeats in any books. I think I've read that Professor Hastings was in a lot of international books, but I don't know of many books that he was in. I also don't know of very many books featuring Simon Soundman or Harvey Kneeslapper. And I wonder if Bruno was in any of the style guides (he's only been in a handful of books).

BlueAM

Reaction score
I read the list of the characters in the 1979 CTW style guide on Muppet Wiki and I wondered what the photos and drawings other than the ones of the Pumpkin, Orange Gold, and the one of Sherlock Hemlock were like, since those were the ones from that guide posted there. Would it please be possible for whoever has the images other than the mentioned ones post them online so we can see them? I'm not sure, but I think Scarecroe would know the answer.

Thanks, as always, and have a good day!

BlueAM

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's basically a series of drawings sent to companies who make licensed products to tell them how the characters should be represented. in color, style, and likeness.