Caroll Spinney's Big Bird or Matt Vogel's?

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
Does anyone know how often Caroll Spinney performs Big Bird now? I'm usually pretty good about picking out voices, but I have to admit Matt's Bird voice is pretty darn close to Caroll's, and I can't tell the difference.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Caroll still does Big Bird basically every time he appears, with an exception here and there.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've noticed that Matt's Big Bird seems to be used almost exclusively for footage involving Big Bird being chromakeyed (ala the old "Journey to Ernie" segments and such); as far as the vocal performances go, I could tell a slight difference at first, it seemed like Matt's Big Bird sounded similar to the transitional phase that Caroll's went through from going from being a country bumpkin to a six-year-old kid, but now, yes, Matt has defintely improved with the years. I'm still impressed with how well he did Floyd and Uncle Deadly in the new movie.

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
Thanks! I hope Caroll is with us a long time to come - a very nice guy!

wiley207

Reaction score
On a few occasions, Matt Vogel would perform in the suit, while Caroll Spinney would dub in the voice. But I still prefer Caroll Spinney as Big Bird through and through. He can even rollerskate and ride a unicycle while playing Big Bird. Now THAT'S impressive!

Puckrox

Reaction score
My friend interned for Sesame Street last year, and she told me that Caroll pretty much dubbed everything. Matt would sometimes be in the suit, but Caroll still would come in and do the voice and perform the suit as well. As Muppet dude said, he even rollerskated in his Big Bird costume (which my friend was there for when the filmed)! How awesome is that!

frogtownhollow

Reaction score
My friend interned for Sesame Street last year, and she told me that Caroll pretty much dubbed everything. Matt would sometimes be in the suit, but Caroll still would come in and do the voice and perform the suit as well. As Muppet dude said, he even rollerskated in his Big Bird costume (which my friend was there for when the filmed)! How awesome is that!
How cool is that! Thanks!