Caroll Spinney Book Signing in SF

beaker

Reaction score
Hey that's a pretty cool surprise Dave showed up at the SF, sounds like both had unexpected Muppeteers! heh

Yeah Dave is a great guy, I didnt get to talk with him very long at MF, but if you look at his work in any sirutation(ad libbed, improved, scripted) he is definately the master. If Clash is the Muppet moral booster, Goelz is the studiedt Gandolf.

Anyways, glad ya got to make the SF one...I was barely able to make the Berkeley one.

One thing that seems clear, I think the Muppeteers are definately happy with the Henson buyback! So definately lots of possibilities there.

As far as Oscar, there was some really touching moments
with him at the Berkeley one. I remember tearing up a bit from reading the book as well.

Well, hopefully we'll see all these Muppeteer folks again at MF 2!

PS: That's cool folks recognized Goelz, as its said the Muppeteer is the unsung hero. questions:

1) what was the turnout like?

2) mostly casual or diehard Muppet fans?

3) Anyone from MC?

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
The turnout was full, but not too crowded. I think Brian, Caroll and I were the only ones who initially recognized Dave Goelz. It took me a while. LOL!

There were a few kids, but it was mainly 30-somethings. Makes sense to me because Sesame has been on the air for so long.

I didn't see any MCers I recognized, but there was a girl who said she attended the fest and wore one of my buttons. Great. I'm the button guy now. :big_grin: I did mention MC several times in conversation so we got a lot of plugs! There was a guy in line that knew of us. I mostly socilazied with the Puppet Guild president.

It was the best way to celebrate the work of Henson I could think of. Can't believe how that worked out. I did talk about the new Gonzo sculpt and I'm sure Dave heard me, but he didn't comment. If you haven't seen the new Palisades Gonzo head - go check out this week's bits immediately. :concern:

Ol' Buddy Bert

Reaction score
Originally posted by Hays
How should we do it? Start a thread that we'll snail mail to Mr. Spinney? I'll be happy to collaborate in any way - let me know.
Originally posted by frogboy4

We could form a thank you letter. I wouldn't know how to do it, but it's a nice idea.
I'm not quite sure how to go about it either. I guess I was thinking not so much including the he said this or did that but rather all our comments about how kind, gracious and gentlemanly he is and how much we appreciated that.

Really, that's thing that I've been repeating over and over again from my encounter with Mr. Spinney...that he was so genuinely kind.

Anyway, if more than just the three of us our interested in this idea, I'll definitely put some more thought and creativity into it.\

Scott J.

Hays

Reaction score
I think a group thank-you letter is a terrific idea. I'd love for him to know that we all learned the lessons he's been teaching us for years.

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
I just got back from the book signing over in San Jose, and everyone is right- Caroll Spinney is such a nice man. He's genuinely so caring, and it was such a treat to meet him! I think hearing Oscar sing "I Love Trash" in person pretty much made my year! :big_grin:
I think a thank you letter is a great idea, he took out time to talk to each person while he was signing their books. He was just so gracious.

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by mupvisiongirl
I just got back from the book signing over in San Jose, and everyone is right- Caroll Spinney is such a nice man. He's genuinely so caring, and it was such a treat to meet him! I think hearing Oscar sing "I Love Trash" in person pretty much made my year!
Cute WDW clerk girl has returned! ^_^;;
Btw, Caroll did a book signing in San Jose??
Errr...unless you meant San Jose in Costa Rica...hmmm...

mupvisiongirl

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
Cute WDW clerk girl has returned! ^_^;;
Btw, Caroll did a book signing in San Jose??
Errr...unless you meant San Jose in Costa Rica...hmmm...
Awww....you remember me! I feel all special! :big_grin:
The book signing was in San Jose CA, in a tiny little children's book store. It was cute, but I don't think all the toddlers appricated Caroll Spinney's amusing anecdotes nearly as much as the parents!

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by mupvisiongirl
Awww....you remember me! I feel all special! :big_grin:
The book signing was in San Jose CA, in a tiny little children's book store. It was cute, but I don't think all the toddlers appricated Caroll Spinney's amusing anecdotes nearly as much as the parents!
Heh, of course! ^_^;; But yeah, I didnt even know he was doing other bay area stops. I was barely able to catch the Berkeley one. It was like a mini Muppetfest, heh. Yeah the toddlers seemed a bit bored by Caroll's musings, but when he brought Oscar out into the audience the kids really lit up(me included...I just had to make my way up to the front to meet oscar!)

If you have any pix from the books top post em here! I have some really nifty ones I'll scan as soon as I get em developed.