Captain Kangaroo

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Sometimes Bob Keeshan was his own worst enemy. He hated the fact Sesame had their own merchandise, thinking it was a commercial sell out.
However, the Captain had his own line of books, records and toys. Even in the early days, he was plugging his stuff. “Hey kids! Buy this puzzle!”
I had a 45 rpm record. The record was just nursery rhymes sung by some unknown lady singer. The cover had a picture of the Captain and Bunny Rabbit. Captain Ripoff.

DancingQueen

Reaction score
Sometimes Bob Keeshan was his own worst enemy. He hated the fact Sesame had their own merchandise, thinking it was a commercial sell out.
However, the Captain had his own line of books, records and toys. Even in the early days, he was plugging his stuff. “Hey kids! Buy this puzzle!”
I had a 45 rpm record. The record was just nursery rhymes sung by some unknown lady singer. The cover had a picture of the Captain and Bunny Rabbit. Captain Ripoff.
He also released two different lines of VHS releases from his show, one when the show was between homes in 1985 and another when it went off PBS in 1992. I too am troubled by his attitudes, but if he were alive today I wonder if he'd reconsider this because those video releases are the source of a HUGE percentage of the clips from his show that are out there in the world now. Since the show hasn't been on the air in nearly 30 years, that's the only way people can see it, so I bet if he were still around he'd be glad that he, too, "sold out"...