Bring Your Own Can Night

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was just looking at Muppet Wiki's page for episode 1443, and that one mentions Oscar, Grundgetta, and Osvaldo going to a grouch dance establishment called the Groucha-cha Palace. Makes me wonder if "Groucha-Cha Palace" is the same as "Cha Cha Palace", maybe with a name change from script to final version (or even if they just changed the name slightly between appearances but meant for it to be the same place).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, while the episode page itself doesn't have any info yet, I've seen a few places on the wiki that confirm that this was in episode 1553.

I thought I saw 1557 on the clapboard in the behind the scenes footage, though the shot in question isn't really a good enough shot to make out much of the information on the clapboard, the number could easily be mistaken under those circumstances (and maybe they changed the episode number before airing). I figured it wasn't 1557 when I saw some episode info in those CTW archives guides.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, the wiki now has a full guide for the episode. We now have context!

https://muppet.fandom.com/wiki/Episode_1553

Interesting how this episode has Maria's cousin Mercedes mentioned as visiting her, a season before we meet her (or does she appear in some season 12 episodes?).

I can't really tell if there's a reason for Olivia to be staying in the can, while everyone else has an explanation. They mention Gordon and Susan's pipes breaking, I wonder where they ended up staying.

I've seen that a few guides refer to the place as the "Groucha-Cha Palace", and in this guide it looks like it's "Grouch Cha-Cha Palace", with a space, though in the scene it's just called the "Cha-Cha Palace" in the sign and dialogue. Does the script call it the "Grouch Cha-Cha Palace" in the scene that's on DVD?

Oscarfan

Reaction score
Interesting how this episode has Maria's cousin Mercedes mentioned as visiting her, a season before we meet her (or does she appear in some season 12 episodes?).

I can't really tell if there's a reason for Olivia to be staying in the can, while everyone else has an explanation. They mention Gordon and Susan's pipes breaking, I wonder where they ended up staying.
I'll just answer these for the sake of it:

-She appears in at least one episode that week setting up Buffy staying in Oscar's can.

-I'm pretty sure Olivia lived with Gordon and Susan during her time on the show; there's only the three apartments in 123 (the Robinson's, Maria's and E&B's).

-Yes, the script says Grouch-Cha-Cha Palace, not the other thing.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
-I'm pretty sure Olivia lived with Gordon and Susan during her time on the show; there's only the three apartments in 123 (the Robinson's, Maria's and E&B's).
I never knew that. I always figured she had her own home on Sesame Street.

sesamemuppetfan

Reaction score
Based on what we've seen in 1648, it does make sense. Except there's one fan fic on here suggesting that Olivia lived in a different apartment in 123, and the writer was an avid SS watcher during the 80's, so...tis a mystery...

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just found out yesterday that the next episode, 1554, is a continuation, with Oscar having to cooperate with Luis in order to have the cast leave the can after a night there. I never thought they'd actually show them leaving, I figured it'd just be a given that they would leave, unseen.

I noticed in the behind the scenes footage that when they show the control room, at least one of the monitors has Gordon on the stoop of 123 Sesame Street, which I think was happening live as opposed to them watching existing footage, and I don't think he appears in episode 1553. Maybe they were recording the two episodes (or this and the previous one) on the same day. Interestingly, I saw that episode 1554 is the one with Dr. Nobel Price "inventing" an umbrella. These past two weeks the wiki has gotten episode numbers for season 12 scenes I have known about for years!

I thought about putting episodes 1553 and 1554 in the storyarcs page on Muppet Wiki, but these are part of a period where Buffy and Cody stay in Oscar's can. I should probably start a discussion at Muppet Wiki, but in the last year I have sometimes wondered if the various periods when Buffy stays over would be considered storyarcs. I'm thinking she permanently lived on Sesame Street in her first two seasons, then moved to Hawaii and visited the street for extended periods afterwards. This being a fact that I wasn't really aware of until all those season 11 and 12 program guides surfaced (I had wondered why she and her family were living/staying in Hawaii for a long time when they were Sesame Street residents). But I don't think the wiki has many guides on episodes about her coming/going.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this today. So the Cha Cha Palace had a best trash can contest... Do you think the other Grouch participants had a garbage man carry their cans to the Cha Cha Palace for the contest, or do you think they used the traveling trash can thing that Oscar often did?

Oscar is the grouch most frequently seen in a trash can. Other grouches don't seem to be seen in a can often (sometimes, maybe, Oscar's when visiting). It kind of seems weird when we do see other Grouches in their cans. Grundgetta seems to be in a trash can a lot in illustrations (but I haven't seen many official Grundgetta illustrations) but not so much on the show. And although Oscar's can has a portal to Grouchland, there are other grouches who are shown in trashcans while inside Grouchland (do those have a special doorway out of the can and into Grouchland as well?).