Autistic Self Advocacy Network (ASAN) Ends Partnership with Sesame Street over Julia

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So, in other words, Julia is just a token who's being stereotyped in ways that are offensive to autistics out there:

To be fair, ARTHUR has been under similar criticism with their own autistic character who has Asperger's Syndrome.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
It's not about Julia; if it were, this would've been an issue when she debuted years ago.

It's moreso that SW is partnered with an organization that is not as kind to the Autism community was one would hope. And apparently, these PSA spots they've done under the Autism Speaks name are what's the issue, not Julia herself.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying that Shane. For a moment, I was about to :rolleyes: at the thought that this was another Roosevelt Franklin situation... Societal advocacy group blasting Sesame for not having a character representative of their particular group, then blasting them for the sterotype the character presents when one does get made/included in the cast. *Shrugs.

PonysNPuppets

Reaction score
So, in other words, Julia is just a token who's being stereotyped in ways that are offensive to autistics out there:

To be fair, ARTHUR has been under similar criticism with their own autistic character who has Asperger's Syndrome.
I actually thought Arthur did one of the most accurate representations out there! While Carl was the easily agitated type, he was also shown to have the ability to talk and act "normally" when the situation called for it, as well as the ability to make friends and have them accept him for being himself.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The complaint I've seen about Carl is that unlike other disabled characters, such as Marina the blind girl, each of his appearances have specifically called attention to this Asperger's as if it's his only character trait, as opposed to Marina, who has gotten significant character development without it being entirely related to her being blind.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Yeah, it is disappointing to see SST support Autism Speaks, but i'm also surprised more people haven't voiced their disapproval or the show supporting SeaWorld.

YellowYahooey

Reaction score
So does that mean Julia will be retired from the Street after a short life?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
So does that mean Julia will be retired from the Street after a short life?
I don't think so. I believe the controversy is over the fact that Sesame Workshop has partnered with an Autism support group that's not really supportive of the Autism community.

I am surprised that this has happened. It's been reported that the Autistic Self Advocacy Network informed Sesame Workshop of what Autism Speaks is. As far as I know, Sesame Workshop hasn't made any kind of public acknowledgement over it (I'll have to look at the article again but I don't think it said anything about SW making a response). A lot of people on Sesame Workshop's social media pages have been complaining and threatening to boycott the show because of it (and it's often in comments unrelated to the partnership).

I wonder if Sesame Workshop was aware going in, if maybe they didn't know until it was too late (like, after signing contracts they can't get out of). Sesame Workshop is usually more responsible. After all the online backlash, I won't be surprised if they end the partnership as soon as they can, but you never know.

I kind of worried like Telly Monster over all this bad publicity, but I don't think it has had much affect on the show. Stores don't seem to be pulling merchandise, I don't think HBO has dropped the show, I think the 50th anniversary special and DVD set will still be coming out. I don't think the movie will come out sooner than currently announced.