April Fools: New Muppet film coming - “Muppets Hit the Fan”

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Well, it’s been announced on social media….

“A new Muppet movie is in the works. Tentatively titled The Muppets Hit the Fan, it’s an original story reminiscent of the Stephen King story Misery, set to star Neil Patrick Harris as a crazily obsessed fan of the Muppets glory days who manages to trick the Muppets into going to his house to do an old fashioned show for him, only for him to lock them all in the house and force them to only do The Muppet Show. It’s up to the Muppets who the fan did not care about and thus did not kidnap - including Pepe, Walter, and Beverly Plume - to rescue the gang.

The film will be directed by the legendary Mel Brooks, marking his first directing job in years. Brooks is also working on the screenplay, along with James Rolfe (The Angry Video Game Nerd), Jason Segel (The Muppets, Forgetting Sarah Marshall), Norman Stiles (Sesame Street), and Tara Juhl (The No Relation Gang, Imitating My Uncle). Brian Henson Will executive produce and perform each of his established Muppet characters in the film. No word yet on who will write the music.

Decisions have not yet been made regarding whether this will be released in theaters, or whether it will come to both theaters and Disney+ on release date. But Brooks promises ‘this will please everybody. Those who only like The Muppet Show and first three movies, those who want the Muppets to do new things, Frank Oz, Disney shareholders, and the estate of Alfred Hitchcock. Everybody will be happy!’ It’s also set to be the first Muppet film where every scene is shot in only one take.”

APRIL FOOLS

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I was going to do a post that there were going to be Sesame Street NFTs, but then an actual announcement for them was made. So I figured I might as well plan all my April Fools posts to be about things I really want, in case such announcements do get made.

i might be wrong but I think this is the first time I did an April Fools post announcing a new Muppet film.

i had other things in mind for the announcement. I was going to say it would be directed by Matt Vogel, as he has directed some Sesame Street, and I was going to say that he was directing because he really wanted to make sure his first Muppet movie as Kermit got the character right.

I decided immediately to have Neil Patrick Harris as the lead, but after deciding to say that Mel Brooks would direct, I had debated over whether to have him be the crazed fan. I also considered saying that the main character would not also kidnap the Muppets, but also a celebrity guest to be the guest star, and I had considered Mel Brooks for that (it would have to be somebody who would have realistically been a guest star on TMS).

A few other things I considered, but worried it would provide too many details for an announcement:

I was going to say that the home the Muppets get stuck at would include a special replica of the Muppet Theater stage and backstage. The main Character is that obsessed with making sure they stick to The Muppet Show.

I was going to say that the main character would get the Muppets to show up by faking a serious illness.

I was going to say that it would include new renditions of old Muppet songs, but they would all be sung by the human lead.

I was going to say that Christopher Cerf would write the music,