65 Years of Walt Disney Television

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

As some of you may know, this Fall will mark 65 years since The Walt Disney Company splashed onto network TV with "The Wonderful World of Disney."

In honor of this Milestone, my next series of Posts here on Muppet Central will be titled 65 Years of Walt Disney Television, featuring (in no particular order) info on every single TV show ever made and/or distributed by The Walt Disney Company.

This includes past and present Disney Company subsidiaries such as The Jim Henson Company (owned by Disney in the '90s before eventually selling Henson to German company EM.TV; eventually the rights in 2003 were bought back by Jim's 5 grown children before the Muppets were sold back to Disney), Miramax Television, ABC Studios (formerly known as Walt Disney Television), DIC Entertainment (owned by Disney from 1995-2000), Saban Entertainment, LucasFilm, Ltd. and its most recent Acquisition of 20th Century Fox Television.

Please, stay tuned.

Steve

Mario500

Reaction score
Could you provide some proof of this (I had never heard or read of "The Walt Disney Company" ever having had ownership in "The Jim Henson Company" before the calendar year 2003 before posting this message):

In honor of this Milestone, my next series of Posts here on Muppet Central will be titled 65 Years of Walt Disney Television, featuring (in no particular order) info on every single TV show ever made and/or distributed by The Walt Disney Company.

This includes past and present Disney Company subsidiaries such as The Jim Henson Company (owned by Disney in the '90s before eventually selling Henson to German company EM.TV; eventually the rights in 2003 were bought back by Jim's 5 grown children before the Muppets were sold back to Disney)

Steve Arino

Reaction score
Well excuse me Mario,

If that's not enough proof for ya, perhaps this is: IF Disney hadn't owned Jim Henson Productions in the '90s, PERHAPS Disney would NEVER have issued Henson titles on VHS (DVDs today) under its Jim Henson Video banner.

Mario500

Reaction score
Well excuse me Mario,

If that's not enough proof for ya, perhaps this is: IF Disney hadn't owned Jim Henson Productions in the '90s, PERHAPS Disney would NEVER have issued Henson titles on VHS (DVDs today) under its Jim Henson Video banner.
I had believed that was part of a deal unrelated to having ownership in something.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Maybe it's just the tiniest of coincidences, but there's this half
a$$ed little attraction at Disney World called Muppets 3D. And next door is a little stand called Pizza Rizzo.
BAnd when I was there in 2001 Diney MGM Studios had a big statue of Jim and Kermit, and on the ground in front of it was Jim's autograph and handprints in cement.
But what does Disney know?