18 Years Ago...

theprawncracker

Reaction score
I know that there's not a person here who doesn't miss Jim. I can't believe he's been gone so long... but I honored today by being both sacred and silly, just like Jim. Wore my Elmo "Tickle This" shirt, getting laughs with Jim's creation. Thank you Jim Henson, we miss you very much. Thanks for all you gave us and I'm so glad your vision lives on. :smile: :stick_out_tongue: :sympathy:

Count von Count

Reaction score
A good day to reflect and remember on. But I think Jim would also want us to smile today, so at some point today go and find something silly to do that makes you laugh.
That's true! He want us to smile. But it's still a sad day.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
What's there to be said about Jim that hasn't been said already?

I owe the man so, so much. If it weren't for him, I wouldn't be the person I am today. He showed everyone that doing things a little different can get you the attention that others only dream about. And as long as we keep exposing ourselves and others to him and his work and pretty soon the new Segal Muppet film, the Fraggle movie and PotDC he'll live on through the ages and in our hearts. R.I.P. and thanks for everything, Jim. :cry: :sympathy:

maniacal muppet

Reaction score
A good day to reflect and remember on. But I think Jim would also want us to smile today, so at some point today go and find something silly to do that makes you laugh.
I'm sure that he would want exactly that. My girlfriend asked me, "Well, if this is the day that Jim died, why aren't you wearing black?". I then told her about how Jim didn't want anyone to be sad about his passing and that he wanted people to wear bright colors and do silly things. I only could have hoped to have as great of a day that I did yesterday. :smile:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I remembered Jim yesterday by introducing a friend to "The Land of Gorch." It felt nice to correct his view of Henson as a children's entertainer.

Anyway, I respect and love Jim's work so much. He created characters that will never leave me. The Muppets helped my through everything. Jim's work through the years (he wouldn't agree with me, but this includes his Sam and Friends) is some of the funniest, most imaginative and creative work ever put on television and film. Much of it is even inspiring. I miss him.

:smile: :hungry: :sympathy:

RedPiggy

Reaction score
Wow ... 18 years, huh?

When I was being teased/bullied at school or my parents were fighting, the Muppets showed me that life can be chaotic and difficult ... but there was still The Dream, something to hold onto despite it all. They could get eaten, blown up, etc ... and in the next scene they were back for more. They realized that being different could be an asset, not a liability.

Redsonga

Reaction score
This may seem like an odd thing to say, but up until I was 12 or so I thought Jim Henson was still alive. I never saw the tv show about it, the news show about it, or even saw a newspaper about it, or heard it talked about in school...
So, in a deeper way, he will always be alive somewhere to me..his soul lives on in all the dreamers of the world :smile:.

Rose

Reaction score
I remeber my mum comming home from going to work just to tel me Jim had passed away. It was about 10 in the mornig and Iddnt know anything about it. Than later on I saw it on the 12 o clock news.
For months probably years I collected every article about him and the henson companey. I akways turn to jim nd his work to cheer me up when im feeling down.

wemblingalong

Reaction score
Journal Entry

The following is my 2nd grade writing Journal entry from 5/18/90 (revised of course I wasn't this good a speller when I was 8)

I think it is sad Jim Henson died yesterday. I cried, my sister hugged me. The good thing about it is he's in heaven, heaven is a good place, I can tell. I hope I see Kermit again.

I remember finding out while watching Entertainment Tonight. My sister gasped and I began to cry, "Does that mean Kermit's dead too?" and my family reassured me otherwise. :cry: