Decline of entertainment?

MelissaY1

Reaction score
I gotta agree I am less and less in tune with pop culture these days because I feel like everything is lacking severely in talent and creativity. I'm sick of most of these reality shows (guilty of watching two lately though-The Hills and Celebrity Apprentice), and I'm sick of the movie remakes, etc.

I watch very little T.V. nowadays though I have to say my current favorite show is Dexter and I am looking forward to comedian Louis CK's new show on F/X called "Louie" that premieres next month. Other than that when I'm watching T.V. these days I watch the news, NY Mets games, re-reuns of sitcoms I like or I pop in DVDs.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
What I don't understand is what's taken them so long to make the sequel to Cats and Dogs?

Granted, it's been YEARS since I saw the 2001 original, and at the time, I thought it was a pretty good movie, but since then, I don't think much of it... and they had been talking about doing a sequel shortly afterwards, but it was supposedly shelved because there were no more talks of it... now here it is nearly ten years later, and they're finally coming out with it.

So what was up with that?

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted at the idea of the Marmaduke movie.
im in the same boat and agree with most you say...i wont judge the movie yet cause i havent seen it but im really surprised they are making this movie

Drtooth

Reaction score
What I don't understand is what's taken them so long to make the sequel to Cats and Dogs?

Granted, it's been YEARS since I saw the 2001 original, and at the time, I thought it was a pretty good movie, but since then, I don't think much of it... and they had been talking about doing a sequel shortly afterwards, but it was supposedly shelved because there were no more talks of it... now here it is nearly ten years later, and they're finally coming out with it.

So what was up with that?
Well a couple of things... it took them years to make a sequel to The Mask because Jim Carrey somehow never wanted to do a sequel again. And then once they decided to go without them they made that... that thing I don't even want to talk about. The worst part is that if they BOTHERED just following the plotline of the comic books, they could have made something decent. But they decided to just do something idiotic instead. And to make it a family film. Batman isn't a family film, and it did him a world of good. Basically what I'm saying is that if you wait that long for a sequel, chances are something BAD's gonna go down. I have faith in Toy Story 3 because Pixar will only make a sequel if the story's worthy enough... plus, the true reason they're making that is that Disney threatened to do it themselves with a much more shallow plot.

Secondly, I always felt that movie was a COMPLETE ripoff of the highly underrated Fox Kids cartoon, Secret Files of the Spy Dogs. I mean, if anyone actually caught that show, you'd know what I'm talking about.

im in the same boat and agree with most you say...i wont judge the movie yet cause i havent seen it but im really surprised they are making this movie
You don't have to have a cavity filled to know that it hurts. I hate talking dog movies because they essentially have the same things....

• Doggy poop, Doggy urine, and Doggy drool jokes
  • annoying attempt at an ethnically diverse cast by making a character talk sassy and stereotypical (they cast George Lopez... think about it)
  • And of course the artificial feel good family values life lesson they shoehorn in

Among other things, of course. Even if they decided to have Marmaduke NOT talk, the film would be a total knockoff of Beetovin anyway.

Actually... THIS cartoon while not wonderfully animated, basically says what I think about the garbage Talking Dog movies they keep making while ruining classic cartoon characters... And I bet if they DID make that movie, it WOULD be like that.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Heh. That stupid Marmaduke opened in 6th place. Just as I hoped. NO one wants to watch it.

beatnikchick300

Reaction score
I do think entertainment, especially kids' stuff, is declining. I mean, kids movies are still okay (excluding awful things like G-Force, and for that matter, most live action stuff targeted at kids. I enjoyed seeing How to Train Your Dragon with my kid brothers, and most things that Pixar put out this past decade were excellent). But most kids' television is pretty hit and miss. I actually like watching the Fairly Oddparents (I've been drawing some fanart), but most Nicktoons, as I said, are pretty hit and miss, like Spongebob (which actually was hilarious when it started; methinks it's time to pull the plug), Penguins of Madagascar (four relatively boring and personality-deprived characters from an only decent CGI film deserved their own series because...?), and Avatar (I know a lot of people are nuts about this show, but it's just uninteresting to me).

On the adult side, most stuff is so vapid I don't even watch it (though I like some documentary things about history, religion, medical dramas, or ghost experiences). I occasionally enjoy 30 Rock (though that Tracy character bugs the heck out of me) and Law and Order: SVU. Other than that, it's all pretty boring to me.

Most movies today are just plain stupid or just things I have no desire to see. I'm not really into horror movies with all of their gory violence nowadays (didn't they used to just have psychologically scary movies, instead of movies that showed all of this blood and gore?), and chick flicks bore me. It's like a girl has to wait years for the next political documentary.

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Heh. That stupid Marmaduke opened in 6th place. Just as I hoped. NO one wants to watch it.
You know I'm a HUGE animal lover but boy do I hate movies about them overall. Especially CGI/special effects embedded ones. Although I thought the first Garfield feature was kinda cute even though I cringed when I heard they were making a Garfield full length feature AND a CGI Garfield to boot since I have been a Garfield fan almost as long as I have the Muppets.

Drtooth

Reaction score
But most kids' television is pretty hit and miss. I actually like watching the Fairly Oddparents (I've been drawing some fanart), but most Nicktoons, as I said, are pretty hit and miss, like Spongebob (which actually was hilarious when it started; methinks it's time to pull the plug), Penguins of Madagascar (four relatively boring and personality-deprived characters from an only decent CGI film deserved their own series because...?), and Avatar (I know a lot of people are nuts about this show, but it's just uninteresting to me).
Most of the cartoons today are light years in quality (using it as it's intended... a measurement of distance) than the yuck fest of the 70's, as I already said. What you just listed is matter of taste stuff, not actual shows that are made cheaply to abruptly cash in off a fad, or that clone each other furiously. Again, the 1970's.

I have to see Avatar: The Last Airbender I never got the chance to really see, but the buzz that it's breathtaking, and what happens when you try to make an American cartoon anime style the RIGHT way.

Again, cartoons may not be as amazing as they were in the early 90's, but that's because we're getting less and less of them. In fact, I dare say that given the circumstances, kid's programming is getting better. Look at Wow Wow Wubzy. I've seen some of it once, and it's virtually the ONLY Nick Jr. show that doesn't try to copy any of the others. Why, it's like Spongebob specifically made for preschoolers.

The only complaint I have is that Disney is doing NOTHING with their TV animation branch, which they should have ALSO given to Pixar when they bought them. I hear nothing but pleasant things about Phineas and Ferb, and I'm intrigued. Disney's actually marketing and merchandising them. I haven't seen Disney market and merchandise a TV cartoon since Buzz Lightyear of Star Command! But it's like the only thing they have. For the trillionth time, why they decided to pass up a Pirates cartoon is beyond anyone. And I really think that as long as we're getting DTV movies based off of the Italian Tinkerbelle and the Fairies comics, they really should try their hand at cartoons based off of Italian Paperinik (Donald Duck's Batman meets Arsene Lupin alter ego). Something to bring us back to the glory days of the Disney Afternoon.

Again, I must state, there is no cartoon series on television that has the words "and Son(s)" in the title. We're VERY lucky, and that's a deep pit I hope we never have to go down again.

You know I'm a HUGE animal lover but boy do I hate movies about them overall. Especially CGI/special effects embedded ones. Although I thought the first Garfield feature was kinda cute even though I cringed when I heard they were making a Garfield full length feature AND a CGI Garfield to boot since I have been a Garfield fan almost as long as I have the Muppets.
Honestly, I felt the first Chipmunks movie was pretty good. The second one, I grow increasingly disappointed in myself for watching. I'd hate to say it, but Tim Hill (the one that destroyed MFS) did a better job... and there was no call for the "dutch oven" joke, the endless parade of commercials for "Meerkat Manor," and the above all pointless Nascar Mascot cameo.

But Marmaduke... Garfield, the Chipmunks... people under the age of 30 know of, and they both had successful cartoon series. Ask a kid what big dogs they can think of, they'll say Clifford... Scooby-Doo, maybe if they have the old VHS tapes lying around Beethoven. But NO ONE knows or cares who Marmaduke is.

Yorick

Reaction score
I'm still flabbergasted at the idea of the Marmaduke movie.
As for the cartoon, I liked the Marmaduke parts of "Heathcliff and Marmaduke" better than the Baby Blues cartoon of the late 90's.

Also, I think Pink Panther & Sons was cool. I love all those early 80's cartoons so much (though my fave Panther cartoon is the 1993 series - wish it was on region 1 DVD!) and I'd love to have that on DVD as well. actually, I'd love to hear your take on every CGI cartoon movie you've seen, if you ever felt like it...for example, maybe do a 5 star rating system. I saw Antz for the 3rd time (in 11 years) last night, and I've give it a 4.5, as these things go. Ice Age (original) gets a 5 :smile:

I say "as these things go" because I don't usually feel a need to own any of these films, (although Monsters Inc. I loved, and there are others) but I always enjoy them, nonetheless. Just wouldn't list any (other than Wall*E, as far as I can recall right now) on an ALL TIME list (though I hate lists anyway, unless I say "in no order" first.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't like to pick on something other's like, but I found the Pink panther and Sons cartoon completely cliche ridden. All the cliches that were in 1980's gang of kids cartoons were present... the athletic one, the dorky computer loving one... Muppet Babies was guilty of this too, but at least MB managed to be clever and entertaining.

Why, the episode of PP&S I've seen featured them getting a genie... now THAT's a 1980's cliche if ever I knew one. I'm guessing subsequent episodes feature a shrinking episode and an Indian Jones parody. I mean, there could have been some potential in there somewhere... maybe have Clouseau's sons in there as well, instead of a generic biker gang... plus the OTHER panthers were just, again, terrible stereotypes and cliches. I especially hate the one obsessed with Boxing.

Among other things, the 1980's had only 2 rules when it came to cartoons... it either had to be based off a toy line (or a massive toy line had to be amassed from it) or they had to dig up old characters in new situations. Thankfully, Ralph Bakshi and John K gave us the best cartoon rebirth ever with Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures. If you ever want to see what cartoonists are capable of after years of network repression, check that out. The show was almost Ren and Stimpy, but they refused to buy original ideas at the time.