If the Electric Mayhem...

Gelfling Girl

Reaction score
Like I said, I don't listen to much rap/hip hop, but I was thinking, it might be cool if a bunch of the Muppets did the Cupid Shuffle dance. Of course I would find it much cooler if they did "Thriller" (maybe a Halloween-themed episode with the guest star dressed up like a werewolf singing lead with a bunch of Muppets dressed up like zombies as backup dancers :scary:).
Also, my dad had a pretty good idea a few days ago. Wouldn't it be so sweet for a tribute to Richard Hunt if Janice was singing the song "I Miss You" by Miley Cyrus? (and if you have anything against Miley, please just think about how sweet that would be before badmouthing the idea)

Nick22

Reaction score
i hope nobody ever let's that happen. i couldn't handle hearing a perfectly amazing band sing current music. i like some of the current music, i can't bash it THAT much, but rully. i think it's time that the world moves on to a different/better genre of music. pop is just getting kind of annoying. and i don't rully understand the obsession with rap music.

i could imagine the electric mayhem maybe doing like sam's town by the killers. that'd be pretty cool.

janice? lady gaga? no thanks.

Gonzo14

Reaction score
It could work if they picked the right songs

Fluffets

Reaction score
Ok maybe not modern songs, after all we don't want to have it look like the muppets were sell-outs!:eek: But maybe some, as in songs not from last year or this year, this may sound weird but maybe the electric mayhem could do a rendition of Ultimate Showdown Of Ultimate Destiny:big_grin:? Or maybe a wacky all-muppet version of paint it black with a whatnot throwing black paint on everything/everyone.:big_grin:

Drtooth

Reaction score
There probably is some music out there they would cover... but I can't think of anything out there. Sure, I could see other muppets doing some current songs... but nothing really seems to live up to the fast paced, loud, Jazzy music the Electric Mayhem plays. To me, the Mayhem is a rock/jazz band. Sure, they have played some slow jazz and slow songs before... "Lazybones" wasn't fast, neither is "50 Ways to Leave your Lover." A lot of new music I hear now is very slow and almost downbeat... a lot of people strumming on acoustic guitars moaning about how happy they are... the kind of music that would play on an independant film.. (I LOVED Juno... don't get me wrong, but that music they used for the movie... ugh! I still don't know why they kept mentioning Iggy Pop and not play a single Iggy Pop song... unless rights were to blame). I just don't see the Electric Mayhem playing that. Maybe Janice doing it solo...

GonzoLover85

Reaction score
I could see them singing various tunes from Barenaked Ladies, Cake, Ben Folds, Jimmy Eat World, Ok Go, Foo Fighters, just to name a few.

The music is there, it's just a matter of finding appropriate songs.

Nekoshema

Reaction score
Could you imagine Janice singing "Womanizer" by Britney Spears or "Poker Face" by Lady Gaga. (I kind of like Poker Face though)?
lol, i just heard Janice sing So what by Pink. lol. i don't know, i mean, they were in the weezer video, but i didn't mind that [odd since i'm not a weezer fan] it would really depend. if they was another muppet show to come out and they were singing, i wouldn't mind too much, but if like 'todays greatest hits' sung
by electric mayhem, then i'd be like, sellout.

dwmckim

Reaction score
Even though there is a 70's sensibility to them, i wouldn't quite say that EM are stuck in a particular era - on the contrary i'd describe them as timeless. Hey, back on the Muppet Show they did songs that had been around for awhile and stuff that was newer (at the time). I wouldn't think of it as blasphemy for them to perform modern songs - it's just all about song selection and what they do with them.

The main thing is that the whole music industry has become so commercialized to where we have people doing the most substanceless music and those same songs being the ones that's played everywhere but at the same time there are countless artists - new and well established one making great music and writing great songs that people have to search out since they don't get the radio airplay. There's so many songs in the latter category that EM could easily perform. The year a song is written doesn't matter - the quality of the song does.

And even the most bubblegumish band can still have well-written songs even if the people performing them may not be as artistically nuanced as the songwriters employ. Look at Studio DC - the EM are backing Demi Lovato on Look at Me which is really a very lovely song just marred by the fact that people associate it with "teenpop" (and quite honestly even though it's easy to write off anything that comes the Disney stars and is marketed towards tweens as being fluff i do think Demi herself is a really great talent herself as a musical artist - but she'll have a hard time getting taken as seriously as she should mainly because of the Disney pedigree)

The songs are out there for EM to sing...one just needs to scratch a little beneath the surface.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
What about Gavin DeGraw or Jason Mraz? Both know how to be upbeat and laid back, and while Gavin does alot of piano (dr teeth possibility!) Jason does more guitar-y stuff. Or Jack Johnson or something! These kinds of musicians are sort of the 20th century version of the kinds of musical guests they had on the muppet show (which was alot of folk and country).