Project: Pinpointing Sesame Street's Location

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We all know Sesame Street is supposed to be set in New York City, but NYC is such a HUGE city, that it really could be ANYWHERE couldn't it?

Have you for fun ever tried to pinpoint a guesstimate location for our favorite street?

I think it could be very possible thanks to the Season 35 episode where Miles and his band tried to find a place to practice their new song, including the roof of 123.

Based on the layout of the roof with the location of the entrance to the inner staircase, the ladder to the fire escape, and the updated backdrop of rooftops and everything, I've deduced that 123 faces both the Empire State Building and the Plaza Hotel - the backdrop showed Empire State in the far distance to the left of the view from the rooftop, while the Plaza seemed a bit closer to 123 to the right.

I've tried to search aerial photos of NYC that would include both of those buildings to try to figure out Sesame Street's general location, but so far have had no luck, as NYC's virtually an urban jungle, lol. Plus, there's also the possibility that the backdrop for the roof isn't totally accurate at all, but assuming it is, I think we could use it as a reference to try to figure out where in NYC Sesame Street might be.

Anyone else care to join in this little "project" with me?

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
That sounds like an interesting project. I might have to do some dictective work.:search:

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
Lol. I looked on Google maps, and based on what you said, I think Sesame Street might be between W 27 Street and W 36 Street.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I going to go with the real street that they say the show was based on, That was somewhere across the bridge. But I forget witch borough, though.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
We all know Sesame Street is supposed to be set in New York City, but NYC is such a HUGE city, that it really could be ANYWHERE couldn't it?

Have you for fun ever tried to pinpoint a guesstimate location for our favorite street?

I think it could be very possible thanks to the Season 35 episode where Miles and his band tried to find a place to practice their new song, including the roof of 123.

Based on the layout of the roof with the location of the entrance to the inner staircase, the ladder to the fire escape, and the updated backdrop of rooftops and everything, I've deduced that 123 faces both the Empire State Building and the Plaza Hotel - the backdrop showed Empire State in the far distance to the left of the view from the rooftop, while the Plaza seemed a bit closer to 123 to the right.

I've tried to search aerial photos of NYC that would include both of those buildings to try to figure out Sesame Street's general location, but so far have had no luck, as NYC's virtually an urban jungle, lol. Plus, there's also the possibility that the backdrop for the roof isn't totally accurate at all, but assuming it is, I think we could use it as a reference to try to figure out where in NYC Sesame Street might be.

Anyone else care to join in this little "project" with me?

Forgive me if I sound dumb but I don't get what you mean by finding SS's true location considering it's done in a studio amd I highly doubt they have ever said exactly what part of town SS is in.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Forgive me if I sound dumb but I don't get what you mean by finding SS's true location considering it's done in a studio amd I highly doubt they have ever said exactly what part of town SS is in.
We know SS's in a studio, but we're talking about IF Sesame Street was a REAL street.

Like we all know the 4077th was really on a studio ranch in the mountains of Southern California, but the setting was Uijongbu, South Korea.