The MuppetCast - Show #85 - Introducing Muppet Studios!

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
This week I'm proud to welcome the Walt Disney Company's Senior VP of Special Events and General Manager of Muppet Studios, Lylle Breier, to the show. Along with Ms. Breier, other special guests include author Michael Davis (author of "Street Gang: The Complete History of Sesame Street"), Elisa Hale from the Goodspeed Opera House and puppeteer David Stephens talking about rehearsals for the Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas musical, and finally from tropical Newfoundland, listener Sean Walsh joins us for a UK-themed Muppet List.

All of the above is included, along with the usual Muppet news, history, listener feedback, and a happy little Muppet Montage at the end. And we're still under 90 minutes! Take that, Mongello :smile:

Make sure to catch the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on Thursday at 9am EST. Featured Muppety Things include the Kermit balloon, the new Abby Cadabby balloon, the 123 Sesame Street float (with Sesame Muppets and people), and just before Santa Claus you'll see Kermit on the Macy's float singing the new song "I Believe in Santa Claus".

Also keep an eye on the TODAY show on Thanksgiving to see the Al Roker Anything Muppet make a return to help cook a turkey. I think his version of "helping" is probably a lot like when I try to help in the kitchen...which is why I'm staying in the living room watching football.

Your thoughts on this episode below. Happy Thanksgiving!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
90 minutes? Try more like almost 2 hrs buddy.

Great show... Was blown away by everything.
Uh-oh, watch out Crazy Harry didn't hear me.

I'm interested in knowing if the signed bookplates for Street Gang would also be offered for those of us who opt to buy the audio version narrated by Caroll Spinney instead?

Gonna watch the parade of course, might skip out on a few items while getting ready for T-Day lunch with my family though. Definitely gonna catch me some blues (Muppet song reference) as I'm looking for the brief performance from Disney's Little Mermaid. That's a part of the pre-parade I enjoy, catching the glimpses of the Broadway plays.
And I'm putting outa request bright and early T-Day morning for Kermit's new song.

As for the Muppet List... Marty Feldman's "condition". Huh, we just called that as having googly-eyes. :insatiable:
That episode has one of my favorite Muppet in-jokes... Watch for the ending when Fozzie's drafted into the guild of the Forty Thieves. He's so nervous about being boiled in oil as part of the finale, he reasons that with more Muppets, they can't possibly boil them all. And what's the password for opening the cave to get more Muppets? Yes, you guessed it... Open Sesame, Street. There's even a joke about it up in the balcony at the end where the SST gang has converged on the hecklers.

Keep up the great work Steve and Steve, have a happy holiday.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I listined to the show last night and loved the whole thing. Lylle seems like she is going to be a good friend of the show! I think that it says a lot of her and Muppet Studios for her to come out and speak to us fans. I for one feel so much better after hearing what she had to say, and could you just feel the ezcitment in her voice? I sure could. Great job as always Steve.

Oh BTW i had no clue that if you have a Gmail Account you can chat with others who have a Gmail account when online. Thats preety cool.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
As a international Muppet fan I'm kinda disappointed that Lylle did not mention why they don't want international users on www.muppets.com .Also you should have asked if they are planing to do the same stunt as HIT, only releasing the last season of The Muppet Show in a complete collection.

Otherwise it was a good show, you had put together.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Well, this one is 1 hour 17 minutes, so not QUITE two hours, hehe. I would imagine the bookplate offer is in place for audio versions as well. Michael will be back on the show in mid-December, so I'll ask him then. I plan on recording the parade to watch later in the day, so I can fast-forward through all the boring parts. And like you Count, I'm eagerly awaiting the new song "I Believe".

I had a lot of fun talking with Ms. Breier, and I'm really excited that The MuppetCast has a good relationship with Muppet Studios. I think the creative and financial muscle of the Disney organization, as well as their willingness to work with the Legacy and the Henson Company when warranted to ensure highest quality, should make everybody feel really good about what's to come.

We just won't talk about Studio DC. Agreed?

muppet_dk, I will email and ask DMS about the international Muppets.com issues and relay their answer. Also, I don't have a crystal ball on me (left it at the office), but I think I can reassure you that what happened with the Fraggle situation will not happen with the Muppet Show. I don't work for Disney and have no access to the Muppet Secret Plans (or "MSP", similar to ESP but it's a little more fuzzy), but that's the indication that I've gotten.

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Please do ask Michael, I'd be wery interested in that bookplate thingy.
And I would also like to know how international internet surfers as I've never rully been able to get any of their clips or join in on the thread here.

Take care Steve. :big_grin:

MartyMuppets

Reaction score
I was able to get back onto your site and catch up entirely with your podcasts Steve.

I loved the Muppet List in this episode. Interesting thing is your guest mentioned how Muppet guests Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan were partnered with Harry Secombe on the BBC Radio Goon Show. And also how Tim Brooke-Taylor was heard on a previous MuppetCast singing The Muppet Show Theme Song to the tune of Danny Boy.

Were you aware Steve that I wrote Muppet Show fan fiction scripts in the style of season one guest-starring Tim Brooke-Taylor and Harry Secombe? How about that? :wink: :big_grin:

matleo

Reaction score
Hey Steve,

Great program as always! One quick question....

Where is the "Smile" song from? I don't think I've heard that before.

--Matt

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey matleo. The song "A Smile Connects Us" is from the album Thanks & Giving All Year Long. Hope this helps.

stephenjlizard

Reaction score
Yeah...I heard it on Muppet Central Radio early on Sunday morning and thought "Perfect!". Two other smile-themed songs later, we've got us a montage!