Reaction score
'Horse With No Name'
-America.

La la... la la la la la la la la la la la la.... :sing:

Kiki

Reaction score
'The End'
-The Doors.

It's so cool and different. It goes for like... 6 minutes. Listen to it. Listen to ALL of it. I dare you.

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
'The End'
-The Doors.

It's so cool and different. It goes for like... 6 minutes. Listen to it. Listen to ALL of it. I dare you.
Yeah, "The End" is certainly one of the Doors' absolute masterpieces. Actually, the "official" studio version (from their brilliant first album) runs well over 11 minutes. Some live versions have gone on well past the 20-minute mark.

I highly recommend the Doors' first album, The Doors (IMHO one of the best debuts by a band), which is essentially a collection of songs the group was performing nightly on stage at various clubs (and which is why the album was recorded in less than a week, compared to some of their later works, which often took months to complete).

The debut contains "Break on Through," "Light My Fire," "Back Door Man," "End of the Night," "The End," the Weill-Brecht "Whisky Bar" (a.k.a. "Alabama Song"), and several more cool tracks.

I also recommend their second album, Strange Days, which is equally as powerful as their debut. It has a cool, Fellini-esque cover, and the songs are some of their best: "Strange Days," "You're Lost Little Girl," "Love Me Two Times," "Moonlight Drive," "People are Strange," the epic "When the Music's Over," and a few more good ones.

Sorry...didn't mean to go on like that...er...yes. "The End" is certainly a great song!:smile:

Winslow Leach

Reaction score
Sorry, one more thing about "The End"...

Current CD editions contain the "uncensored" cut of the song during the frenzied "Oedipal" section. This, along with "Break on Through," were both slightly altered by producer Paul Rothchild in '67 before the album was released commercially (although both songs still have the same running times). "Break on Through" originally had the line "she gets high," before Rothchild cut it to "she gets..." This too has been restored on current editions of the album.

I believe the original, uncensored Doors master of "The End" first appeared in Coppola's Apocalypse Now, one of the best marriages of music and image in a film I can think of.