Dealbreaker TV Characters

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Snowthy might be the general, you might be the colonel, I’m Father Mulcahy clawing and scratching to become a captain.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
On that subject, Father Mulcahy was probably a lot more complicated a character than he seemed on the surface . . . there were many episodes where he felt as though he was completely useless in camp, and that his presence was not needed - even to the point where if he did try to step into a situation and offer up his help, he just ended up making things worse . . . there was even the episode "Mulcahy's War," where he felt he would be of more help if he actually went to the front lines where distressed souls were really in need of his guidance and comfort.

But, then you've got episodes where he does feel useful in camp - so much so that he feels entitled to a promotion, and all but demands to be given one . . . this makes it feel like Mulcahy can be two completely different characters at times.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That’s possible. If Mulcahy was kind of passed over in camp, he was a hero to the orphans.
And he was cunning enough to work scams as good as Klinger.
The coolest thing, even with his priestly duties, he was comfortable in the bar or the poker table.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
I’m not sure how it would work if they managed to bring Frank back after Margaret’s divorce.
He was promoted to Lieutenant Colonel, so at least he wouldn’t be bunking with Hawkeye and BJ. He could butt heads with Potter, but Potter had more of a spine than Henry ever had.
Frank would be completely useless in the OR (Winchester on his worst day could wipe the floor with Frank).

Frank would never admit he and Margaret were an item. One time in a phone call home, he told his wife Margaret was an old war horse (isn’t it something, as primitive as the phone was at the 4077th, people could still listen in on private calls?)
The only thing that might’ve worked, bring back Frank and put him in charge of the 8063rd. Then the 4077th can get all their characters too.

Hey Snowthy- when Radar was in the office, who’s on the P.A. “Attention all personnel! Incoming wounded!”
Can’t be Igor. He’s too busy fixing slop in the mess tent.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
Casualties, not characters.
One last MASH question only Snowthy might know the answer to.

How did they account for the historical inaccuracies?
I believe in the Trapper/BJ Henry/Potter turnover, the date was given as August 1952.

Then a few seasons later there’s an episode titled “1951” with Potter, BJ and Winchester. Oops! Derp.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I’m not sure how it would work if they managed to bring Frank back after Margaret’s divorce.
I know after McLean Stevenson's career crashed and burned, he held onto a sliver of hope that one day the producers would call him up and offer to bring him back, and retcon Henry's death by saying he actually survived, washed ashore, spent time in a Korean hospital with amnesia, and eventually found his way back to the 4077th. For a working actor on a successful ensemble series to try to break away on his own, only for it to be the biggest mistake of his career, I can see why he would hold out for hope like that.
Hey Snowthy- when Radar was in the office, who’s on the P.A. “Attention all personnel! Incoming wounded!”
Can’t be Igor. He’s too busy fixing slop in the mess tent.
Funny you should ask that, series writer Ken Levine addressed that on his blog today:

What he doesn't mention, however, is before he joined the show, there was another actor who provided the P.A. announcements, Todd Susman, who also played the soldier in desperate need of a nose job in "Operation: Noselift."
One last MASH question only Snowthy might know the answer to.

How did they account for the historical inaccuracies?
I believe in the Trapper/BJ Henry/Potter turnover, the date was given as August 1952.

Then a few seasons later there’s an episode titled “1951” with Potter, BJ and Winchester. Oops! Derp.
I think a lot of it had to do with the series ended up going on longer than any of them anticipated, so they had to take more liberties and creative license with dates and such, despite the inconsistencies and inaccuracies.

Believe it or not, when the show was on the verge of cancelation after its first season for doing so poorly in the ratings, they wrote an alternate version of the episode "Ceasefire" where the war actually does end, and they go home, just in case they weren't renewed for a second season.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
There’s one thing MASH, Seinfeld, and Everybody Loves Raymond had in common.
All three got off to a rocky start, but by their finales they were #1 rated shows.

I still remember the MASH finale. Almost 40 years later, I think the viewership might only be matched by a couple Super Bowls.

Princeton

Reaction score
PA Voice: Other than the two actors Snowthy mentioned, Jamie Farr actually played it on the Pilot.
Henry's departure: I'm sure you've all heard of the sketch on The Cher Show where Henry was in a life raft saying he was okay. If you take that as canon, the argument could be made that Henry survived.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
Angelica- Rugrats
Penny- The Big Bang Theory
I agree , Angelica has this unexplainable misery that she takes out on all the babies. and Penny is all ways insulting Leonard's friends to the stuff they buy, to the way they dress, and mooched off of them for free food, when they should't have gave any to her. tipical avarage mean girl free loading. I can't believe that Leonard went on and married her. I'm glad that she mellowed down somewhat in the other seasons, if she hadn't . then I would of stopped watching.