Dealbreaker TV Characters

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Pretty much any Sesame Street character can be this, depending on who you ask. I've heard just about every character imaginable described as annoying, including Grover, in a recent-ish tweet. That was one I had never heard before.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
As far as Grover is concerned, I see a lot of complaints in recent years about how much he's been Flanderized, and I . . . kind of have to agree with that, to a certain extent. No, Grover was never the brightest star in the sky, but it does seem like he's just gotten progressively dumber over the years - not unlike, say, Ed from ED, EDD N EDDY, or Kel from KENAN & KEL. Back in the day, I would say Grover was simply just a lot more gullible and a tad absent-minded (or even literal-minded in some cases, particularly with Mr. Johnson); modern Grover feels like he's pretty much de-evolved into a brainless joke/gag character who can't do or get anything right.

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
That used to be Big Bird in Season One. Caroll Spinney would be the first to admit Bird was this, dumb, ugly moron that didn’t know which way was up.
I went through a phase, like many my age, that hated Elmo. His obnoxious laugh, the fact so much of the show was dedicated to him, and to a degree the show got dumbed down.
I take a more benevolent view to him now. Who knows how history would’ve turned out if Brian Muehl kept playing Elmo and Kevin Clash never got involved. Sesame might have ended, but it wouldn’t have mutated into The Elmo Show.
Grover might not have been too bright, but he was a Rhodes scholar compared to Forgetful Jones.

Zappetman

Reaction score
Ok lets see.

Lois (Malcolm in the Middle)
Jimmy Pesto/Bank Manager (Bob's Burgers)
Post Season 7 Peter and Lois Griffin/Consuela (Family Guy)
Beth (Rick and Morty)
Principal Moss/Post Season 4 Peggy Hill (King of the Hill)
Bessy (Back at the Barnyard)
Peg Bundy (Married... With Children)
Florence Johnston (The Jeffersons)
Helen/Megan (Drake and Josh)
Ataru's mother or Mrs. Moroboshi (Urusei Yatsura)
Rochelle (Everybody Hates Chris)
Mandy (The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy)
Benson (The Regular Show)
Sarah/Kevin (Ed, Edd n Eddy)

Princeton

Reaction score
A little goes a long way. Plus, I feel that Fritzell/Greenbaum didn't write every single Ernest T. episode (not counting Malcolm at the Crossroads cuz by then they had left the show), that would have freed them up a little bit more to write more original stories.
Here's something else that occurred to me: all the Ernest T.-centered episodes after "Mountain Wedding' would have been much better if Ernest T. had been swapped out for Rafe Hollister who A) was established already as a character B) is a much more sympathetic character and C) doesn't make my ears bleed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know if I can imagine Rafe Hollister pulling off some of those incredibly wild and wacky stunts that Ernest T. was known for. 🤔

Princeton

Reaction score
I don't know if I can imagine Rafe Hollister pulling off some of those incredibly wild and wacky stunts that Ernest T. was known for. 🤔
Well, I'm not talking about word for word copies of those episodes, just the basic concepts.
Anyway, thought of a few more additions to my list: Ben from Parks & Rec and Claire/Mitchell from Modern Family.

Princeton

Reaction score
Sorry for so many single posts but I keep remembering characters I wanted to add: Peterman from Seinfeld and Ziva from NCIS.

scooterfan360

Reaction score
I know this is kind of off subject , but in an episode of doug, there was this subitute teacher, that really got to me, the way she quickly labled doug a trouble maker. What subsitute teacher quickly labels a student like that ?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
While I prefer the early years of M*A*S*H over the later years, I do prefer Winchester over Burns. Frank Burns comes off as the kind of boss I would not want to have, or the kind of bossy employee who's not the boss but gets his way too much.