Old Nick Appreciation Thread

What was your favorite show?

• Total voters

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I just remembered something Nickelodeon did during the 1992 election (has the channel done it for every election since?). They had a "Kids Pick the President" where kids could call and say who they vote for.

But what was the point? Just to show who would win if kids voted (as I recall, Bill Clinton won in the "kids pick" thing as well as the real election). After all, the kids votes still wouldn't count towards the actual election.

I tried to call and vote, but the phone lines were all busy.

Drtooth

Reaction score
They're actually doing that again right now.

I seem to remember a few years back, probably the 2004 election, they actually had a book with Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob on it.

Insert whatever joke about the election you want here.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
They're actually doing that again right now.

I seem to remember a few years back, probably the 2004 election, they actually had a book with Fairly Oddparents and Spongebob on it.
Insert whatever joke about the election you want here.
I honestly don't remember being aware that their was an election going on in 2004, I guess because I was only five. But I definitely remember the presidents song that Nick had during that time:

It would be cool if they started airing this again, just update it a bit.
I just remembered something Nickelodeon did during the 1992 election (has the channel done it for every election since?). They had a "Kids Pick the President" where kids could call and say who they vote for.

But what was the point? Just to show who would win if kids voted (as I recall, Bill Clinton won in the "kids pick" thing as well as the real election). After all, the kids votes still wouldn't count towards the actual election.

I tried to call and vote, but the phone lines were all busy.
Yeah, it's just a way of giving kids a voice.Funny thing is, they've actually managed to predict the real election winner every election since this thing started (save for the 2004 election). I guess, "Kids Pick" shows us who the majority of the kids' parents are voting for, and that's why they always pick the winner.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Legends of the Hidden Temple seems like an odd thing to make a movie out of. I mean I guess it translates relatively ok in theory to a non game show format but? I dunno. Seems odd to me. I'm more interested in this Double Dare special.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Definitely. I love Double Dare, and i'm glad their basically using the original format. But the Legends movie just seems like it might just end up being a generic TV version of any random adventure movie like the Indiana Jones.

EDIT: Well, after watching the trailer, it's definitely different then what I was expecting. I'll at least give it this: it looks far more interesting and creative then any of Nick's other TV movies.

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Legends of the Hidden Temple seems like an odd thing to make a movie out of. I mean I guess it translates relatively ok in theory to a non game show format but?
I'd see some sort of mythology behind the series's backdrop. Seems like there could be something interesting there. As long as it isn't one of those terrible excuse movies that puts all the current stars of their kidcoms into some schticky, sitcomy situation.

As for Double Dare, I'm psyched for them actually having a full episode. They have been doing some anniversary running of the obstacle course with the reunion cast of All That they ran over a weekend in the summer. But that was during commercial breaks during old reruns of the show. Marc seems just as eager as ever to host a revival, even if its just one episode. DD is a great kid's game show back when those actually were a thing. That and Carmen Sandiego really got it right where others were just... ehhhhhh... Anyone remember Funhouse? I barely do.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Sorry, here's the trailer. meant to post it in my previous message:

Cool that they at least still have the original host.
DD is a great kid's game show back when those actually were a thing. That and Carmen Sandiego really got it right where others were just... ehhhhhh... Anyone remember Funhouse? I barely do.
I guess Nick tried to bring back game shows starting around 2009-ish with "Brainsurge" and then a few years later they revived "Figure it Out" but those kinda just disappeared. Also, I guess The Hub had a bunch of kids' game shows, but we all know how that whole channel went.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Here's some old Nickelodeon promos for non-Nickelodeon shows.

Now, I remember that Inspector Gadget kept ping ponging from syndication to Nickelodeon every so often. The last time the show was on the network was when Disney released that awful movie in '99. hey. Remember when a movie would come out and they'd use the TV show as some sort of marketing? Yeah. Nick/Nicktoons didn't do that with Penguins of Madagascar and CN didn't do it with the How to Train Your Dragon series. Shame they didn't.