Sesame Street Season 46 Episode 4618 - A Very Cookie Mother's Day

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Episode 4618 - A Very Cookie Mother's Day
HBO Premiere: Saturday May 7, 2016
PBS Premiere: Monday May 8, 2017

Cookie Monster wants to give his mom the perfect Mother's Day gift, but first he needs to learn how to control himself from eating it. Also featuring Cookie Monster's Smart Cookies-The Snickerdoodle and Elmo's World-Family. Brought to you by the letter M and the number 19.

This episode features an all-new street story.

If you saw "A Very Cookie Mother's Day" please like this post and share your thoughts below.

Last edited:

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Who were the humans in this episode?
Also, was Zoe in it?

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Alan was featured mainly in the story, Nina made a brief cameo. And no, Zoe wasn't in it. Elmo and Cookie were the main Muppets in the story, but others appeared briefly including Grover, Oscar, Big Bird, Two-Headed Monster, and Telly.

While the overall story of the episode was really nice and sweet, this is, unfortunately, one of those episodes where there's a lot of nitpicking I can do. Like for starters, as I've mentioned before, giving Grover and Cookie's Mommies decidedly younger-looking designs make them look more like they could be their sisters instead of their mothers - Grover's Mommy especially, going from having short curly hair, old lady glasses, and motherly attire to longer, chic-looking hair, and more contemporary wardrobe. Less pressing for Cookie's Mommy, but her redesign looks considerably younger too. I also found it strange that Big Bird sang about how much Nina is like a mom to him, considering we've only seen them interact together maybe, what, once? If perhaps he was singing about Maria or Susan (or maybe even Gina), I could buy that, but we haven't seen much of Big Bird and Nina interacting. If anything, I almost expected a cameo by Granny Bird. While Smart Cookies was fun and enjoyable enough, the keying took a serious step down this time, you could especially tell with Cookie's fur, or when Figby's squeegee was turned at certain angles; very telling, rather poorly done.

But it was still a pleasant, sweet episode. I liked it.

And again, looking at the publicity still for this episode, it still amazes me how the stills always look so bright and well-lit, while the actual show looks so dark and sunset-like.

antsamthompson9

Reaction score
This episode was pretty good. I liked Stephanie's performance of both Grover and Cookie's mom. Like D'Snowth said, it would have been better for Big Bird to sing about someone more established than Nina. I also wanted them to give Elmo's mom a new performer. The Smart Cookies was pretty good. I liked Chipowkski's mom having skills of her own.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I wanted to know which episode Jennifer's Zoe would appear in, so I asked Stephanie D'Abruzzo through Twitter what episode they were filming in this picture:

Unfortunately, she said that she's not allowed to comment on any episodes that haven't aired yet. So it looks like we'll have to just wait until the episode airs.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Maybe it's for that Halloween episode, that Oscarfan was talking about?

SpinneyBigBird1

Reaction score
Like for starters, as I've mentioned before, giving Grover and Cookie's Mommies decidedly younger-looking designs make them look more like they could be their sisters instead of their mothers - Grover's Mommy especially, going from having short curly hair, old lady glasses, and motherly attire to longer, chic-looking hair, and more contemporary wardrobe. Less pressing for Cookie's Mommy, but her redesign looks considerably younger too.
What I think you're forgetting is that the children watching the show, who (as much as I'm sure the show values the opinions of the long-time fans) are who the episodes are written for, have moms in their 20s and 30s. The typical moms (and even grandmothers, in some cases) nowadays no longer have short curly hair and old lady glasses. The children watching are supposed to relate to the experiences and lives of the characters onscreen. That's always been the point.

Seeing as neither Grover or Cookie's mothers were that established of characters to begin with, I think the changes they have made are fine to reflect the relatability to viewers.

MuppetSpot

Reaction score
Just watch the episode, ok episode, I wish more Muppet moms were featured, oh well.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
What I think you're forgetting is that the children watching the show, who (as much as I'm sure the show values the opinions of the long-time fans) are who the episodes are written for, have moms in their 20s and 30s. The typical moms (and even grandmothers, in some cases) nowadays no longer have short curly hair and old lady glasses. The children watching are supposed to relate to the experiences and lives of the characters onscreen. That's always been the point.

Seeing as neither Grover or Cookie's mothers were that established of characters to begin with, I think the changes they have made are fine to reflect the relatability to viewers.
Yeah, I agree with that. I also want to note that things don't follow exact continuity on this show, especially nowadays, so that fact D'Snowth brought up about Nina having few scenes with Big Bird doesn't matter much, as it implies she's been around enough, we just haven't seen it.

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
I'm just glad they included someone who's like a mom. It feels like non traditional families are forgotten on Mother's/Father's day, so at least Sesame Street acknowledged they exist.