Kermit and Miss Piggy Officially Split!

Muppetgirl09

Reaction score
That's how I feel. Just because something isn't "real" doesn't mean you can't be emotionally invested in it.

How many people believe Star Trek is real? Star Wars? Are you sure there is no "force" and it can't be with us?

When you grow up with something, it becomes part of you. I grew up with Muppets from the time I was able to sit in front of the TV and watch Sesame Street.

It's also the same with fanfiction. We all know we aren't writing cannon stories but does that make it any less real? If I write a story and I get emotionally involved in it and the responses to it does that make me living not in reality?

Perception is an individual thing. I would not go around telling anyone what they can and can not believe in. If the studios didn't expect people to have a reaction they wouldn't have tried this. They knew that people would take the "split" as real. That's why they did it.

Kermit & Piggy 4-ever!
Preach it! I could never say that any better!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I'm disappointed in some of the ridiculous fan overreactions to this. Here are the facts:

• Kermit & Piggy always had a contentious (and downright one-sided) relationship on the Muppet Show.
  • It doesn't matter if you don't like this "stunt" because this simple story has helped create more buzz than the entire marketing campaign for Muppets Most Wanted.
  • No one is going to avoid the show because of this. In fact, it might get more people to tune in.
  • This comes directly out of Jim Henson's playbook. It was the plan to break the frog and pig up and have it play out all over the media until they reunited.
  • TV shows are at their best when the two lead characters have this sort of friction. This is no different.

terrimonster

Reaction score
I'm confused by this conversation. To people wondering whether this is "just for the show" or "just a publicity stunt," what other options are there? If we all know that these puppets aren't dating when nobody has a hand inside them, then what would be the situation if this were not just a publicity "stunt" for the show? I can't even call it a stunt. It's publicity. A publicity stunt is when you create an appearance of a false situation for the sake of publicity, all with the intent of undoing the false perception eventually. Since the entirety of Muppet life is fiction, there is no "false." Yes, they will definitely put them back together, but it's part of the plot of the show, so it's publicity but not a stunt.

I do understand why we're talking about it. I understand the emotional investment in these or other fictional characters. And I think it's worth having fans debate whether this is the right move, or whether/when it will be resolved. I even understand people getting upset by this move. I just don't understand the debate over whether or not this is just for the show/for publicity. As far as I can tell there is no other possibility.

Drtooth

Reaction score
  • It doesn't matter if you don't like this "stunt" because this simple story has helped create more buzz than the entire marketing campaign for Muppets Most Wanted.
  • No one is going to avoid the show because of this. In fact, it might get more people to tune in.
  • This comes directly out of Jim Henson's playbook. It was the plan to break the frog and pig up and have it play out all over the media until they reunited.
  • TV shows are at their best when the two lead characters have this sort of friction. This is no different.
While I appreciate what came out of it, I still can't wrap my mind about Disney's decision to put the characters on QVC. They aren't some aging actress from the 70's selling costume jewelry to aging housewives who haven't heard of every internet merchandise outlet ever. While the entire MMW marketing campaign took some time to seep in, the months of nothing with an all at once onslaught probably turned off people instead of excited them. And frankly, QVC seemed...desperate. Not that there weren't some fun moments, but really?! QVC?! I really think the collective fanbase was too cued up for the movie (myself included) to realize how lame that promotion was (even if Link was in it).

This isn't one of those times. They created something to talk about and it's getting talked about. It doubles as a plot point reveal, as it's very important to the show's story that they're no longer a couple. I'm sure without this, the most casual fans would be confused as to why they're not together in the series proper. Either way, I agree the relationship was never that stable. Maybe that brief period in the 80's. They've been on again, off again, on again the past 20 something years... it goes to show how overly invested in the characters some are.

I do understand why we're talking about it. I understand the emotional investment in these or other fictional characters. And I think it's worth having fans debate whether this is the right move, or whether/when it will be resolved. I even understand people getting upset by this move. I just don't understand the debate over whether or not this is just for the show/for publicity. As far as I can tell there is no other possibility.
I don't think that's the conversation at all, so much as everyone knows this is marketing. The thing is, it's change. Change we've had for years, but this breaks up treasured headcanons that were somehow stubbornly held up even though the characters have been on again off again.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
While I appreciate what came out of it, I still can't wrap my mind about Disney's decision to put the characters on QVC. They aren't some aging actress from the 70's selling costume jewelry to aging housewives who haven't heard of every internet merchandise outlet ever. While the entire MMW marketing campaign took some time to seep in, the months of nothing with an all at once onslaught probably turned off people instead of excited them. And frankly, QVC seemed...desperate. Not that there weren't some fun moments, but really?! QVC?! I really think the collective fanbase was too cued up for the movie (myself included) to realize how lame that promotion was (even if Link was in it).

This isn't one of those times. They created something to talk about and it's getting talked about. It doubles as a plot point reveal, as it's very important to the show's story that they're no longer a couple. I'm sure without this, the most casual fans would be confused as to why they're not together in the series proper. Either way, I agree the relationship was never that stable. Maybe that brief period in the 80's. They've been on again, off again, on again the past 20 something years... it goes to show how overly invested in the characters some are.

I don't think that's the conversation at all, so much as everyone knows this is marketing. The thing is, it's change. Change we've had for years, but this breaks up treasured headcanons that were somehow stubbornly held up even though the characters have been on again off again.
I still don't get how fans forget how much Kermit denied his relationship with Piggy during the Muppet Show. It was always volatile and it was never quite clear how close they were. The movies and specials are a different matter. The one thing I haven't liked about the last two films was how much they focused on the frog and pig dynamic. Having their marriage and life together be a central theme just seemed cloying and dull. If that's the central thing that excites a fan about the Muppets then I just don't know what to say. Eugh. It's only supposed to be one element.

As for the marketing campaign for MMW, I don't think any of it was a misstep. I have absolutely nothing but praise for all of it. The thing I find strange is that this simple breakup has received more press than all of the brilliant ideas Disney marketing executives dreamed up for their last film. So as a fan from the very beginning of TMS all the way through now, I support this campaign completely. :smile:

Drtooth

Reaction score
My only real complaint about MMW was the too much too soon, instead of a steadier trickle. I never understood the slowness and overcautiousness of Disney's handling in between movies. Other than that, at least they tried. Though, still... QVC was a real "What were they thinking" moment to me, even if it was after the fact. The message sent there is "Gee, are they desperate or what?" This message is "this is going to play out nicely for the show."

I still don't get how fans forget how much Kermit denied his relationship with Piggy during the Muppet Show. It was always volatile and it was never quite clear how close they were. The movies and specials are a different matter. The one thing I haven't liked about the last two films was how much they focused on the frog and pig dynamic. Having their marriage and life together be a central theme just seemed cloying and dull. If that's the central thing that excites a fan about the Muppets then I just don't know what to say. Eugh.
Honestly? Yes. I love the Pig, I love the Frog, but I've always been a bigger fan of the wackier characters. Kermit and Piggy are the iconic Mickey and minnie of the franchise, I've always been drawn to Donald, Goofy, and essentially everyone but Mickey and Minnie (but still enjoy them). As far as the show is concerned, I'm more interested in how the band, Bunsen and Beaker, Scooter, and yes even Fozzie and Gonzo plays out in this show. The Kermit Piggy relationship will play out quite good in the show, no doubt... but I'm more interested in the Fozzie Human Woman relationship.

terrimonster

Reaction score
It's not the conversation you're having. You have been engaged in thoughtful conversation about the direction of this campaign, the show, and Muppet marketing in general. Several others have also been discussing these things.

It's not really even a full conversation. The conversations here are good. I won't call out the specific individuals, but every few posts there is another "I think this is just for the show," or "I hope this is just a publicity stunt." I'm completely thrown by those. I get something like "I hope they're back together soon," or "I hope this doesn't continue for future productions," I'm just at a complete loss on the other comments. I value the opinions of these people, I just truly don't know what they're getting at. I guess it's just distracting.

EDIT: To that end...

I'm also a bigger fan of non-Piggy-Kermit-relationship stuff. The extent to which the focus is on the romantic relationship between them, especially in a sense that is sometimes regarded as "serious," "grown-up," or "mature," tends to mirror the extent to which the silly Muppet-y stuff gets diminished. I don't expect them to be kiddy stuff, but I expect a level of immaturity. A squabbling ex-couple opens doors for all kinds of immaturity.

Last edited:

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
I'm more interested in what happened to Camilla and why Gonzo is online dating. He can get chickens whenever he wants!