So... Sesame Street Season 44!

Status
Not open for further replies.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I've come to the assumption that they're using the celebrity guest stars as vehicles to keep the show relevant and popular with audiences: keep in mind, up until the 1990s, SST had a monopoly on children's educational entertainment, but since then, they've constantly been in competition with other shows and other networks out there, so they have to look for ways to fend off the competition... but I agree, it seems like the celebrity guests have become a wee bit excessive as of late, like almost every other street story is driven by the celebrity guest (Jimmy Fallon as the nature survivalist was probably the worst example of this).

But as far as the regular veteran humans on the show, Caroll Spinney has explained many times before that most of the time, because Sesame Workshop is a non-profit organization, and SST is a low-budget show that they can't afford to bring in ALL the humans very often, which is why we may only get to see more than two or three of the actors in the same episode for special occasions (Mr. Hooper's death being an example of that).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I don't think Luis is leaving, he's part of season 44 in some way; I feel like this is a Gabi replacement, just as Chris was a Miles replacement.
I wouldn't say he's so much leaving as he is not quite as involved or available as he used to be. I'd agree that it's more to fill in for Gabbi than anyone else.

Wonder how many episodes Rosita's going to be in this next season.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't think Luis is leaving, he's part of season 44 in some way; I feel like this is a Gabi replacement, just as Chris was a Miles replacement.
Exactly Chris = pointless. I'm sorry, but I don't really like him....he's taken Elmo, and Abby and Big Bird and replaced Gordon as their confidante. Well at least Baby Bear and Telly still turn to Gordon. (Don't let them jink this.)

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I don't know about that; it's always been concluded that Chris was essentially supposed to be a modern-day David.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Exactly Chris = pointless. I'm sorry, but I don't really like him....he's taken Elmo, and Abby and Big Bird and replaced Gordon as their confidante. Well at least Baby Bear and Telly still turn to Gordon. (Don't let them jink this.)
A-V-A-I-L-A-B-I-L-ITY... Find out what it means to me....

Oscarfan

Reaction score
I don't know about that; it's always been concluded that Chris was essentially supposed to be a modern-day David.
I felt the same, until his over usage and slight shift the storytelling style made him a ham. And that's now spreading to Alan, which I really don't like.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Chris does come off as a bit hammy at times, I'll agree with that (then again, it seems like a number of younger actors these days have that problem), though I do give him credit for one thing that SST has kind of been lacking the last number of years or so: you can tell he really likes being on that show and is having a good time. As I've said before, like with the kids, back in the old days, you could always tell whenever they brought kids onto the set, they were genuinely excited to be there, on Sesame Street, mingling with the humans, conversing with the Muppets. Nowadays, particular with those little unscripted inserts with the Muppets, it's like the kids don't even know why they're there, they just want to go home or something.

But, I digress.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Chris does come off as a bit hammy at times, I'll agree with that (then again, it seems like a number of younger actors these days have that problem), though I do give him credit for one thing that SST has kind of been lacking the last number of years or so: you can tell he really likes being on that show and is having a good time. As I've said before, like with the kids, back in the old days, you could always tell whenever they brought kids onto the set, they were genuinely excited to be there, on Sesame Street, mingling with the humans, conversing with the Muppets. Nowadays, particular with those little unscripted inserts with the Muppets, it's like the kids don't even know why they're there, they just want to go home or something.

I'll meet you both way. There really seems like a lack of variety all over as a result of the budget problem. I wouldn't be surprised if they favor Chris and Alan because they're more available than anyone else. You also notice how empty the set becomes most of the time. Except for one or two episodes a season where there's a big party or contest or something... then they fill it up with extras and whoever's available on the set. Of course, there's also the matter that Hooper's Store is becoming more integral to street stories to some extent.

I don't mind the ham. At least they're having fun, too much fun, but it's far better than being completely out of it and wooden. They should reel it in a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.