Weekly Box Office and Film Discussion Thread

Drtooth

Reaction score
UGH!

Apparently that Snow Twilight movie did well at the box office. And unfortunately, MIB 3 was cut down to 20 something Million this weekend. But as far as Avengers goes, even though it went Third this week, It's become the number 3 grossing film. I really hope when all is said and done, it gets that .5 billion more to overtake that overrated piece of garbage Titanic.

Hayley B

Reaction score
I had a feeling Snow White and The Huntsman would. During the trailers while waiting for to see Dark Shadows last week. We had a bunch of people in the audience going 'ooooooo! I so want to see that.' . I thought it looked too dark, imo.

Also when thinking of The Queen. So far, the best lady that's playing her now is that one in Once Upon A Time.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I had a feeling Snow White and The Huntsman would. During the trailers while waiting for to see Dark Shadows last week. We had a bunch of people in the audience going 'ooooooo! I so want to see that.' . I thought it looked too dark, imo.
Me too... but I was kinda hoping Will Smith's star power would overtake that.

I gotta admit, I LOVE the Dunkin Donuts MIB chocolate filled donut (even moreso than Captain America's frosted Jelly... DD doesn't have much variety unless it's a seasonal thing), but I wish they had other product tie ins. I LOVED BK's MIB2 promotion (they used the animated series likenesses of the characters, as evidenced by a blonde haired Agent L), and I wish they had one this time (though I'm trying to collect McD's Madagascar promotion). Apparently, Baskin Robbins has a replication of the cake that they used to break Boris the Animal out of space prison at the beginning of the movie, but there isn't one near me.

I did get a promotional Weekly World News (the Hot Sheets) MIB tie in paper at a comic book store, but that's about it.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I happened to like "Snow White & the Huntsman." They found a way to create a fresh, creative take on the classic. The characters, story and some well-placed effects help balance out some of the imperfections and saggy middle. It deserves the top spot.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
I might just see Snow White and the Huntsman upon these good reviews and its number one spot here. In my own opinion, watching the trailer in the theater, I had low expectations mostly due to Kristen Stewart was in it and that it was the second live-action Snow White-themed movie this year, i.e., Mirror, Mirror, which didn't look good either.

Drifting from the Snow White topic, I'm glad to see Avengers still going strong at number 3. Not just in this week's box office but also in all-time box office. I seriously agree with you, Drtooth. Titanic needs to be dethroned by a better movie.

Hayley B

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't like the look of "Mirror,Mirror" either. Just made me think of another Hook.

bandit

Reaction score
I might just see Snow White and the Huntsman upon these good reviews and its number one spot here. In my own opinion, watching the trailer in the theater, I had low expectations mostly due to Kristen Stewart was in it and that it was the second live-action Snow White-themed movie this year, i.e., Mirror, Mirror, which didn't look good either.

Drifting from the Snow White topic, I'm glad to see Avengers still going strong at number 3. Not just in this week's box office but also in all-time box office. I seriously agree with you, Drtooth. Titanic needs to be dethroned by a better movie.
I saw Snow White and the Huntsman I actually enjoyed it. It was atmospheric and visually appealing and it gave an interesting take on the story.
There are some little things I can nitpick but I don't want to give too much away or ramble away like I easily could here.
I will say Charlize Theron steals the show. I will say that there are bits that have a Labyrinth and Neverending Story quality to them. Maybe a little Willow.
Like I said, I just have a couple of minor issues with it.
The main thing is that Kirsten Stewart in this role feels slightly off. I actually don't dislike Kirsten but I think she has a hard edge about her and when she is supposed to be the foil of Charlize Theron....who is the embodiment of envy, ambition, evil, violence and all'round negativity.....then you really need to cast someone who embodies innocence, purity and hope. Kirsten seems naturally jaded and ruffled in most of her roles. She does well in certain things but she's just not quite right for the role. I think a young Jennifer Connelly would have been perfect. She had this radiance about her that Kirsten just doesn't have.

beakerboy12

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't like the look of "Mirror,Mirror" either. Just made me think of another Hook.
I loved Hook, it was one of my favorite takes on Peter Pan. But Mirror, Mirror looked liked the worst edition of Snow White. It looked to me like it was filled with cheesy jokes and plots, unneeded special effects, and comedic takes on what should be serious characters (especially the Evil Queen).

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
Y'know, Disney was gonna do their own retelling of Snow White, but with the two Snow White movies this year, they decided to cancel it. (That leaves me to question, doesn't Disney own the rights to Snow White?)

Hayley B

Reaction score
^ My question from that would be. Would they had put that in Tim Burton's hands too? But Snow White and the Huntsman is already being kind of like Tim Burton's style.