Kermit - my first puppet build and first forum post

cute or kill

Reaction score
That looks great! At some point we should compare notes on the head pattern. I need to check out the Kermit at The Center for Puppetry Arts (local for me) to refine things beyond what the dissected poser replica photo can tell us. The poser head is definitely a different pattern to accommodate the stuffing.

WalkingEye

Reaction score
thanks Muppet fan.

Gene, we could sure compare our ideas on the pattern. though you have taken a completely more methodical approach than I have. I looked at pics of Kermit and then the MR drawing and visualized the MR being totally off in some ways; the top of the head being too shallow, the lower mouth being too long. the angle of the mouth not giving enough fabric fold at the corners of the mouth and some other things. I think when it comes to Kermit, especially his head, the changes in his appearance over time kind of distorts our idea's of what a perfect Kermit is. For me, until i really researched the various versions, his different eye placements, collars, and even mouth shapes averaged out in my mind and created a composite ideal Kermit. Not too mention Jim was so expressive in performing that Kermit's head was always changing shape!

Liam, i'm a bit busy with work but if you can give me a couple days I can scan and upload some things to share.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
thanks Muppet fan.

Gene, we could sure compare our ideas on the pattern. though you have taken a completely more methodical approach than I have. I looked at pics of Kermit and then the MR drawing and visualized the MR being totally off in some ways; the top of the head being too shallow, the lower mouth being too long. the angle of the mouth not giving enough fabric fold at the corners of the mouth and some other things. I think when it comes to Kermit, especially his head, the changes in his appearance over time kind of distorts our idea's of what a perfect Kermit is. For me, until i really researched the various versions, his different eye placements, collars, and even mouth shapes averaged out in my mind and created a composite ideal Kermit. Not too mention Jim was so expressive in performing that Kermit's head was always changing shape!

Liam, i'm a bit busy with work but if you can give me a couple days I can scan and upload some things to share.
How did you make the first picture? After that it should be good for me, I just gotta know how to start making a puppet like Kermit. It really is a great replica

WalkingEye

Reaction score
Muppet Fan: sorry it has taken so long to reply. You take the head pattern and cut out two mirror images of it in fleece. Overlap them so that the more plush and fuzzy sides are facing each other. Then sew the seam all along the top of the head and the seam along the underjaw/throat; leaving the mouth un-sewn. Next you take the mouth pattern and cut it out in red felt/fleece. You then open the mouth area on the head and pin the mouth piece in place and sew them together. Then you attach the mouth plate.* The whole thing is then pulled inside out and there you go, you have the basic Kermit head.

* the mouth plate is more or less a modified version of the mouth pattern. take the mouth pattern and cut it out in a thin sheet of flexible plastic. cut out the middle inch or so of the plastic. replace the cut out area with a bit of tape (duct, gaffers or some other strongish tape) or glue it to another bit of felt/fleece instead of tape. this allows the mouth to hinge. then glue the mouth plate onto the mouth.