Space Shuttle Explosion

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I think they did that in case something new DID come up.

Er, Foz, here's what I had heard...

Someone found an arm and hand along one of the state borders, and they think it came from the shuttle.

Well, there. I said it. I didn't want to, but I did.

Baby Rowlf

Reaction score
When I first heard about the shuttle, I was numb, pretty much, but for some reason I had confused the Columbia with the Endeavor and deemed it one of the newer shuttles. The impact of it all didn't hit me until the next day, when it hit me that it was the COLUMBIA. I remember when the Columbia was first launched back in the early 80s. I was 5 at the time, and the shuttle program was fairly new, so naturally it was an occasion to watch it take off and land. I was fascinated, and wanted to learn all about it. I also remember Sesame Street showing footage of the astronauts inside and showing how they lived when they were in space. I would watch these clips with my mom and I remember having all sorts of questions, which she was glad to answer.

(On a side note, when the Challenger went down, that shocked me just like it shocked everyone else, as I found out the hard way, that even something as seemingly majestic as this can be destroyed. That hurt too.)

Anyway, in short, this is why the Columbia hits me in a deep way. For me, it was more than losing a shuttle, and it was more than a disaster. For me, I just lost an old childhood friend..

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Some of our MC Family works in media, I know, and I'll get in trouble for saying it because it's their job, but I get tired of the abuse of a story for the cause of sensationalism, just like was said: How many times can you possibly report that "we have no new information at this time"?

The whole thing is sad. I saw a helmet photo on the front page of AOL last night. It's upsetting.

Luke

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fozzie Bear
Some of our MC Family works in media, I know, and I'll get in trouble for saying it because it's their job, but I get tired of the abuse of a story for the cause of sensationalism, just like was said: How many times can you possibly report that "we have no new information at this time"?
I think you are right - it's just this is the day and age of 24 hour rolling news channels and they need to fill with whatever they can - a juicy story like this is what they live for day to day. I know thats a horrible thing to say but it's kinda just the way things are.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Yeah, I understand.

I was thinking about the whole thing. They should cut away to other news going on (there's ALWAYS SOME thing to report on) and then pop back into that when something else develops.

With TwinTowers, they kept the cameras rolling and caught the second plane, collapse, jumping...there was constant disastrous activity going on that day.

In this case, the shuttle exploded and that's it. When they've found the left wing or something, pop back to that story.

In the meantime, there's plenty to tell about the Gulf War situations, they COULD be discussing the future of space exploration with this disaster, not to mention that even though that disaster happened, surely somewhere something good to report on happened.

But, I'm not a television news producer nor have I got the contacts to make those changes.

But one person can make big changes, and it starts with Just One Persooonnn believes in Yooooo... LOL!!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Originally posted by MikeBatesmen
Now, I'm not going to judge this person, they seem to be genuine in their charity effort, but do they really think some one is going to come through with $10,000,000 plus?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3205184629
Winning bid was for US $1,001,400.99 after 31 bids. Crazy, huh? Someone got rich by someone else's death. Seems kinda like a mafia hit almost.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
here's something that i've been questiong for ever since this thing happened back on saturday, and forgive if i might get some people ticked off on this. what was it, seven people died, and the media was blowing this story all out of proportion, like they do on any big event, and people were in tears because 7 people died. has anyone ever considered that there are more than just 7 people who die each day in this country from non related health deaths. people who die for a car accident, a shooting, or even rape. but does the media report and interrupt public broadcasting if a woman, who could be a wife, a mother, could have a very succesful job a a teacher, lawyer, whatever, getting attack by someone while she is running in a park, then gets dragged in a wooded area, and then gets raped; or how about this, a guy who gets off from work, goes to his local bank to get some money, get held up by a bank robber and then the robber decided to shoot and kill the guy. my point i'm trying to make here is that the media blows everything out of proportion and doesn't report on rapes, or people dieing from car crashes, or gun shots, or anything else.

heres a different scenario: what if the space shuttle had no problems with it what so ever and landed safely and all 7 people were alive and well. but what if a few months down the line one of the 7 astronauts gets killed by a drunk driver, would the media cover this, would millions of people in this country care that this person died because he was at the wrong place at the wrong time, that he was minding his own business and got killed by a drunk driver. would the media care? would you care? think about this.......

ryan

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Rhyo,

It's called "Sensationalism." That's what sells media. The world knew about the shuttle going up, knew who the people on board it were, and that's why the news media is able to blow it out of proportion (that was NOT a pun).

On the other hand, my cousin killed by a drunk driver, my mom's friends' son who killed someone while driving drunk and is now in jail, a cop killed during a robbery 7 blocks from where I work, the fireman who got fired and went nuts killing his wife, set fire to his house, killed a responding a deputy sherriff and another fireman, and tried to commit suicide the same afternoon by eating rat poison...none of these people are known around the world. They make it for 10 seconds in local news (sometimes, not my cousin though), and then the city moves on, people go on and forget about it.

7 astronauts doing their job or a cop getting shot while stopping a robbery, all people doing their jobs, just depends on the level of noticeablity of their job.

Just like, if I die tonight, who will remember me for it? Nobody. But, if my cartoon character gets famous, and my puppet character gets famous, the world would know about it.

Leastwise, that's what I'm thinking.

And I'm always only BEARly thinking,
FOZ