Overrated Movies

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm in the middle... I can't say I don't like it, but I really didn't get to see Star Wars UNTIL the special edition trilogy.
That's the thing, I grew up watching the original versions. So it did feel like my memories were being tampered with when he did that. He shouldn't have assumed that all fans would just automatically have the same affection for these changes. It doesn't work that way.

ZeppoAndFriends

Reaction score
I'm so psyched for the stop motion remake of Frankenwiene! I wish he'd do a stop motion remake (or sequel) of Beetlejuice.
Yeah, I can't wait for Frankenweenie either.

And that's a great idea! If they make a stop motion Beetlejuice sequel, they can bring back all of the original cast and it won't matter that it's been so long since the first.

I wonder if they've ever considered that. :confused:

dont worry im woth you on this...i really dont mind the changes and lsorta like it...but that doesnt mean i still dont enjoy the original prints
Hooray! I'm not alone!

Back on thread topic:

I always thought that King Kong was kind of boring. Please don't hit me!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I always thought that King Kong was kind of boring. Please don't hit me!
I think parts of King Kong are really classic, and other parts I tune out at. It's not entirely my kind of movie anyway. But it's still cool overall. :smile:

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
yeah I just like to pretend the new Star Wars films didnt happen. It's such a digital blue screen mess that... it's not believable... the production value of the whole trilogy takes you out of the story because it just doesn't look and feel right. Give me Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi any day! :wink:

That's the thing, I grew up watching the original versions. So it did feel like my memories were being tampered with when he did that. He shouldn't have assumed that all fans would just automatically have the same affection for these changes. It doesn't work that way.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The prequels could have been good movies if they were done properly... they really weren't. Episode 3 was almost getting there, and a complete improvement over the other two... the first one was a mess, and it really seems that half of the time they spent establishing Anakin's character DIDN'T need to be wasted. It would have been better had they started off with establishing Darth Maul, and then getting to Tatooine and starting up on Anakin halfway through the movie. Plus, there was no call for the Gungans to take up THAT much movie also.

The second was better, but bad dialogue heavy, and the third tried very hard (but not hard enough) to become just as good as the originals. Again, I say he needed a pinch director or someone to bounce ideas off of. Empire Strikes back WASN'T directed by him, and that was considered the best of the series. Looking how great a job Genndy Tartikofsky did with the 5 minute Clone Wars cartoons (I only say the movie version of the CGI one... I kinda dug it), the ideas were there, but they were doomed to bad execution.

BoomerangFish

Reaction score
:confused:

That's still a fun movie. I saw that when I was 7 or 8. I still rather enjoy it, even now that I'm grown. How is it overrated?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another picture that I never quite liked as much as everybody else..."The Wizard of Oz". I wouldn't necessarily call it overrated because I enjoy its classic moments. I just prefer the truer interpretation and rich darkness of Walter Murch's "Return to Oz" a lot more as a motion picture. His telling is still flawed, but just a better Oz movie IMHO. There are several reboots of it in the works right now from different companies. I wonder how that will go. :confused:
I wanna see someone tackle a true to the book movie of WoZ, but the popularity of that movie has successfully stomped any chance of that ever getting popular. Now, I do like that movie and all... we all know it was one of Jim's favorites... but I would almost pick up the book if I didn't have problems reading novels (I got a set of complete Sherlock Homles for Christmas, and haven't touched it, even though I strongly hinted for it).

Serious question time, and I really hope to hear an answer...

Has there ever been a movie based on a book that's actually true to the story and free from meddling? I know Jurassic Park was given a hackjob, as was The Shining... and much like WOz, they're so iconic as movies they take a backseat to the books they were based on.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
:confused:

That's still a fun movie. I saw that when I was 7 or 8. I still rather enjoy it, even now that I'm grown. How is it overrated?
I concur. I absolutely loved "Princess Bride" and still do. Always puts me in a fantastic mood! :super:

The sort of overrated films that bug me are popular motion pictures like "Forest Gump". While films like that have great performances and touching moments, they're still more gimmick than substance.

Another overrated film that's going to get me flack..."Inception". I liked it okay, just not as much as most everybody else did. It's the weakest Nolan film IMHO, but a weak Nolan is better than most other directors' best effort. "Dark City" is definitely the superior film that beautifully merges both style and substance. "Inception" and the "Matrix" movies both lift so much from "Dark City", but they get all the acclaim.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Another overrated film that's going to get me flack..."Inception". I liked it okay, just not as much as most everybody else did. It's the weakest Nolan film IMHO, but a weak Nolan is better than most other directors' best effort. "Dark City" is definitely the superior film that beautifully merges both style and substance. "Inception" and the "Matrix" movies both lift so much from "Dark City", but they get all the acclaim.
I'd never bother seeing that Inception film because I'd just spend the whole movie thinking about how amazing Paprika was...

Anyway, I liked Forrest Gump to an extent, but I agree... that was sort of a "I want to win an Oscar" vanity piece. It didn't annoy me as much as Curious Case of Benjamin Button (which was a REAL vanity piece).