This summer going be great for movies, the best since 1989!

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
the matrix movie was boring when i saw it..i almost fell asleep...just my opinion so no one try to kill me please or beat me up..

ryan

CraigD

Reaction score
I agree. The Matrix is hugely overrated. The effects were cool at first, but by the end of the movie they just got repetitive.

Hugo Weaving and Joe Pantoliano kept it watchable, but overall it was merely average. The sequels don't interest me in the slightest.

Craig

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
the special effects are good...and the special effects that were shown for the upcoiming matrix movies look awesome too..

ryan

MikeBatesmen

Reaction score
Originally posted by Movies205
Texas Chainsaw Masscre looks like a horror movie should be...
This might not be true But this is what horror movie should be... sorry if this sounds shallow but this is a horror movie particularly slashers

-Every girl part must be a hot girl
-Everyone should die except 1 or 2, and then some
-All kills should be different, hence the creativety
-Within the first 10-15 min of horror movie someone must die
-Someone should die every 10-20 min NO MORE THAN 20 min!
-2 people must die after they have had sex
-Killer must come back to life within the last 5 min of the film

Those are just the basic horror guidelides made by me, if follow you will have a good horror movie...
Alright, I don't want to start a war here, but I've got to completely disagree. I understand that that is your opinion of what makes a good horror movie, but it also gives me an idea of your horror movie past. PLEASE take NO offense to this.

I'm guessing one of the first horror movies you saw was SCREAM. Now SCREAM wasn't a bad movie, but it did screw over the horror genre. SCREAM was a satire of the horror genre, while not as obvious as a parody like Scary Movie, it was suppossed to be taken with a grain of salt.

Horror hit its peak in the 70s. HalloweeN, Exorcist, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, these are all used as standards today. All featuring little to no gore like the standard for EVERY horror movie: PSYCHO.

During the 80s, Horror took a slasher turn. Like current reality shows, it became a game of who can top who. Eventually the genre became quick low budget gore-fests. Instead of leaving scared, you left the movie quessy. By the 90s horror had been written off as a fad genre and was left to endless sequels destroying good formulas.

Then, SCREAM, came along. It was an incredibly well made movie helmed by a legend in horror Wes Craven. Through in some current teen stars that could act, and you've got a formula to attract a wider age group. SCREAM's intent on satirizing horror is made immensely clear through Jamie Kennedy's character Randy. His entire purpose is to expose the over used formula that ruined horror.

Following SCREAM came a new backlash, Teenage Horror. Yet, just like before, these films were made to quickly cash in on horror's resurgence and offered little in staying power.

Toward the end of the 90s, smart horror started making a come back. Jeepers Creepers is a prime example. JP didn't rely on gore and shock to gain its audience, it relied on suspense and the public's fear of not knowing what's around the corner, or hiding in the dark. That's where horror made its amazing debut, and that's where it will find itself again. Hiding in the unknown.

Sorry it that got real term paper sounding, I'm just VERY passoniate about the Horror genre.

I will post what I think makes a good horror movie and some examples, I just didn't want to kill you with boredom all at once.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
some of the stuff that was produced in the 80's was great like the first nightmare on elmstreet. great movie for horror fans. scream turned into a real good smart horror movie that was trying to make people hate the movie and not recommend it to other people. scream 2, not as good as the first, was still in the same league as the first scream. however, scream 3 just to plain dumb for my tastes but it wasn't as sharp as the first 2. jeepers creepers just plain out bored me because there wasn't anything good about it. i kept on wondering who is this creeper, was he a regular person at one time, why is he killing all of these people, stuff like that...maybe i was asking for to much out of this movie, because after all, it is only just a horror movie...

ryan

Bulldawg

Reaction score
there are way too many sequels this year. way too many.

Final Destination 2
Shanghai Knights
The Jungle Book 2
Gods and Generals(Gettysburg prequel)
Piglet's Big Movie
Ripley's Game(Talented Mr. Ripley sequel)
X2
The Matrix: Reloaded
Pokemon 5
2 Fast 2 Furious
Freddy vs. Jason
The Rugrats Meet the Wild Thornberrys
When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde
Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines
Bad Boys 2
The Exorcist: The Beginning (prequel)
Lara Croft in Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life
Spy Kids 3: Game Over
American Wedding (American Pie sequel)
Jeepers Creepers 2
Benji Returns
Once Upon A Time in Mexico (El Mariachi/Desperado prequel)
Scary Movie 3: Lord Of The Brooms
The Whole Ten Yards
The Matrix: Revolutions
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
Barbershop 2
Havana Nights: Dirty Dancing 2
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King

not to mention REMAKES of films such as:
Willard
Sinbad: Legend Of The Seven Seas
Seabiscuit
Freaky Friday
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre(not a sequel but a remake of the 1974 classic)
Peter Pan (live action)

maybe its just me...but dont you think that someone..somewhere in tinsel town is rapidly running out of ideas??

GWGumby

Reaction score
I don't mean to slam back at you, Bulldawg, but what's wrong with a sequel? If a musician writes a song that you like, is he not allowed to write another song that sounds at all like it ever again?

I will admit that most sequels are purely made to cash in on the familiarity with no real thought to story needs thus rendering at least 80% of all sequels utter crap. However, taking all the sequels out of the equation, look at all the so-called "original" movies? How many of them are any good? I'd say about the same percent.

So if you have the choice to invest money in a sequel to a movie that made money, but has an 80% chance of being awful vs. a movie that no one has ever heard of before that also the same chance of being awful, where are you gonna spend your money? If you have the choice to go to a movie theater and see something that you know you liked before or something you don't know if you like or not, what are you going to spend your money on?

Don't condemn sequels. Don't condemn remakes. Condemn the public who spend their money on seeing bad movies thus making them into big hits thus creating a demand for sequels and remakes of movies that were bad to begin with!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by Bulldawg
there are way too many sequels this year. way too many.

Final Destination 2
Shanghai Knights
The Jungle Book 2
Gods and Generals(Gettysburg prequel)
Piglet's Big Movie
Ripley's Game(Talented Mr. Ripley sequel)
X2
The Matrix: Reloaded
Pokemon 5
2 Fast 2 Furious
Freddy vs. Jason
The Rugrats Meet the Wild Thornberrys
When Harry Met Lloyd: Dumb and Dumberer
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Legally Blonde 2: Red, White, and Blonde
Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines
Bad Boys 2
The Exorcist: The Beginning (prequel)
Lara Croft in Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life
Spy Kids 3: Game Over
American Wedding (American Pie sequel)
Jeepers Creepers 2
Benji Returns
Once Upon A Time in Mexico (El Mariachi/Desperado prequel)
Scary Movie 3: Lord Of The Brooms
The Whole Ten Yards
The Matrix: Revolutions
Looney Tunes: Back In Action
Barbershop 2
Havana Nights: Dirty Dancing 2
The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King
I agree with some of what your saying. I mean, the Tigger Movie was bad enough, but now a Piglet Movie? A. A. Milne is indefinately spinning in his grave. I used to love Pooh, not Disney overexposed him, and I cannot STAND him.

Pokemon5 is nothing new. In Japan, they've made so many of these already (apparently, they make thousands of movies based on cartoon shows) so I'm guessing that they're actually making Pokemon 12, no one in America gives a crap anymore!

Rugrats Meet the Thornberrys? Now that is just soooo stupid. I mean, it works as a little made for TV hour long special, but a feature film? IGH!!! Why not make a Rocko meets Hey Arnold movie... at least it'll be watchable.

a lot of these don't even need to be made. Fast and Furious, Spy Kids, American Pie, and Tomb Rader 2? Man... what were they THINKING? I mean, they've already made enough American pies back in 1999, when there was ONLY one. How many Poop and Sex jokes can you make? ANd No one even cares about Tomb Raider any more. Everyone's complaining about cartoon live action remakes, but the video game ones are absolutely horrible! Look at Super Mario Bros.

But Lord of the Rings, however, is not really a sequal per se.... sort of like The Empire Strikes back and Return of the Jedi aren't really sequals to Star Wars. It's a continuing story, and the films were filmed all at once, and cut into three segments.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Originally posted by GWGumby
I don't mean to slam back at you, Bulldawg, but what's wrong with a sequel? If a musician writes a song that you like, is he not allowed to write another song that sounds at all like it ever again?
...not if you're CREED.

Eeeech.

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
maybe its just me...but dont you think that someone..somewhere in tinsel town is rapidly running out of ideas?? [/B][/QUOTE]

hollywood ran out of ideas years ago...that why they make crap now a days..believe me i know..i see at least 70 movies if not more a year, and they all have pretty much the same story line but with different characters...

ryan