Jason Segel's involvement with Cheapest

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
Yea i think i've mentioned it before but i'd think when Disney is trying to push the Muppets as this classic iconic brand being bought back that they can get a lot of promotional mileage out of billing the movie as the one Jim Henson started before he died.
That's more than likely what they're up to, as they still want to convey this idea that they have somehow acquired the magic that created the Muppets as opposed to just the characters and the physical puppets.

To echo what Super Scooter said, the poster/advertising/etc. will most likely have a prominent credit that reads "Story by Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl" before listing whoever they lured in to write the actual screenplay.

:cool:

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I know one thing. I'd have the biggest smile on my face and a tear on my eye to see the credits read: Written by Jerry Juhl.

Wow, what a tribute that would be! To actually use whatever work Jerry put into it, and give him a credit and all of that. Fantastic!
Haha! I said "Tear ON my eye." FunNEE!

The MuppetWiki article about The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made was changed recently to reflect what's been stated here. Everything's speculation. Articles presenting "facts" were nothing more than speculation.

GuySmileyfan

Reaction score
Yea i think i've mentioned it before but i'd think when Disney is trying to push the Muppets as this classic iconic brand being bought back that they can get a lot of promotional mileage out of billing the movie as the one Jim Henson started before he died. It's quite a nice little story to bring out in the press .. not that i'd think thats the only reason why they would choose it but everything helps.

That is, if it is that same movie script.
That's a very good point. Whether if Jason Segel is invovled or not, Disney promised us one of these days the bring back the Muppets in a classic way. And hopefully if it includes the cute and cuddly brown dog, Rowlf.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
To echo what Super Scooter said, the poster/advertising/etc. will most likely have a prominent credit that reads "Story by Jim Henson and Jerry Juhl" before listing whoever they lured in to write the actual screenplay.
I wonder how much of the script/ story was actually written by Jim Henson. He didn't recieve writers credit on any of the Muppet movie, so it'd be odd that he'd write the one that was unreleased (though I think The Works says something about him writing drafts of The Muppet Movie).

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I wonder how much of the script/ story was actually written by Jim Henson. He didn't recieve writers credit on any of the Muppet movie, so it'd be odd that he'd write the one that was unreleased (though I think The Works says something about him writing drafts of The Muppet Movie).
I'm sure Jim put work into most all of the Muppet movie stories, despite receiving no credit for it. He staged the rat cooking sequence in MTM without credit.

ZootandDingo

Reaction score
I wonder how much of the script/ story was actually written by Jim Henson. He didn't recieve writers credit on any of the Muppet movie, so it'd be odd that he'd write the one that was unreleased
Oh, I agree that it wouldn't make sense historically, but I have a feeling such a story credit would be used more in a marketing sort of way, as if Jim was somehow giving the movie a morbidly vague seal of approval...especially since Disney can't bill the characters as "Jim Henson's Muppets" anymore.

:cool:

dwmckim

Reaction score
Haha! I said "Tear ON my eye." FunNEE!
Hey - a tear starts IN the eye - then it moves to ON the eye (or the eyelash) and then rolls its way down UNDER the eye!

The MuppetWiki article about The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever Made was changed recently to reflect what's been stated here.
Nifty! I'd always wanted to be more involved with the wiki but haven't due to (a) lack of time (b) lack of knowledge about the more technical stuff like formatting, HTML code etc - so nice to see i was able to still make somewhat of a contribution!

Yeah, while Jim shared writing credits for TMS (and Frank was billed as a "Creative Consultant" since he basically took part in the writers' meetings), he hasn't really received that billing in the movies - though usually movies are a collaborative effort where ideas can be tossed out from an actor, camera guy, director etc. that might make its way into the final film though there are strict rules regarding who gets credited as writers. Jim still gets his credits in terms of being the creator and guiding force - Since Jim was the director of MTM, i wouldn't say he didn't get credit for staging the rat sequence since that's basically one of his roles as director - figuring out "how" to make the ideas from the writers actually happen. I can't imagine he wouldn't receive a "Story by" or "From an idea by" billing. (If for no other reason than too many people would cry foul if he didn't - that's been a fact covered in just about all the news accounts of the script)

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
I just saw this at an interview that Jason Segel did promoting the recent 100th episode of How I Met Your Mother. I'll include the link below, but here is the very relevant Muppet part!

PW: And from everything I've been hearing you put those songwriting skills to good use in your upcoming Muppets reboot, right?

Jason: Oh yeah! It's very exciting! We're getting closer and closer to getting the movie made. It's such a big complicated franchise to relaunch, so it takes a while. But we're getting there.

PW: Now, I'm straight out of the "Muppets Take Manhattan" school -- what about you?

Jason: Well, I think those three movies are of the same pantheon -- "The Muppet Movie," "The Great Muppet Caper," "Muppets Take Manhattan." Those are the ones that I love together. They were made in the span of three or four years, and while the ones after that are pretty good too, those are the great ones.

PW: Sounds like we can expect your version to hew more closely to the format of those then?

Jason: Yeah, I don't think there's any reason to approach something so beautiful with a sense of irony. I think that's one of the things I was afraid of, I know that I come from this Judd group -- and I emphasized this to the studio when I pitched it. This isn't going to be an ironic venture for me. This is coming out of pure love, so don't expect the Muppets to be dirty!

Sounds great!

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/popwrap/jason_segel_dOqMssBI12YRreGcKeS7AL

Super Scooter

Reaction score
Huh. Interesting. I was kind of assuming Segal was out. Well, it's very exciting! I hope he was able to incorporate some of the old "Cheapest" story elements into his script.

:smile: :embarrassed: :concern:

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Huh! Well that's very reassuring! Thanks for sharing this, Andy Wan. I'm so very excited for this. Here's hope they start shooting soon!