Do you remember the Secret Life of Toys?

Rachel

Reaction score
A series called "The Secret Life of Toys" that was around in the mid-eighties? All I remember is that there was a stuffed tiger called Rugby and it was about these toys who came to life and had their own adventures when they were alone. It had a spin off movie called "The Christmas Toy" also.

Anyone else remember this?

SillyRed

Reaction score
yes, the teddy bear had a facelift, and Mew had no wheels

WiGgY

Reaction score
I remeber that show. I think it reran on nick back when they had all the muppet stuff. Too bad they got rid of it. At least the muppet children shows were entertaining. Maybe I just got too old but some of this new stuff is aweful.

MikeBatesmen

Reaction score
I actually thought the series came later.

The doll was different too. In the movie she was Apple and then on the show she became Cherry. Its actually re-running on ABCKids if you get it. They also have Bear in the Big Blue House, The Hoobs, Seasme Street, and Construction Site which was Henson's Bob the Builder, before Bob the Builder came out.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Mike ---

ABCKids is running Henson shows?? Do you get it?!?

I love "A Christmas Toy," and I love that which I remember from "The Secret Life of Toys." I believe the series was a spin-off of the movie though, Rachel.

Mike, if you do have ABCKids and are able to tape the show, email me ASAP. I am very good with deal making when it comes to Muppet material. :wink:

-Matt

SillyRed

Reaction score
The Christmas Toy was a 1 hour tv special.

Cantus Rock

Reaction score
Eh, yeah you are correct. I was just going with the flow of the thread really, but yes, it is a special, rather than a movie.

At any rate, Mr. Batesman don't let further thread chatter hinder your emailing me! :big_grin:

-Matt

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
I remember The Secret Life of Toys & The Christmas Toy.It reminded me sort of Raggedy Anne & Andy A Musical Adventure,where the toys come to life. I liked Mew.

Here's a plot summary for Secret Life of Toys:
A group of toys (including wise old Balthasar the bear, 'plush' Rugby the tiger, Raisin the doll, and Mew, the cat's toy mouse) come alive while the children are away, having adventures and living life by a strict set of rules - first of which is "Never let the children know you can move."

Here is The Christmas Toy plot summary:
When no people are around, the toys still play in the playroom. But since a toy will be frozen forever if a person catches it out of position, they have to be very careful. It's Christmas Eve, and Rugby the Tiger remembers how he was the Christmas Toy last year, and thinks he's going to be unwrapped again. And it's up to Apple the Doll, whom Rugby supplanted as favorite toy, to tell him what's in store. But Rugby won't believe her, and tries to get into the Christmas package and lets Meteora, Queen of the Asteroids loose. Unfortunately, she doesn't know she's a toy, and thinks she's landed among aliens. And it's up to Apple, Mew (the Cat's toy mouse), and the other toys to get Rugby out of the box and Meteora back in it before they're found and frozen.

KermieBaby47

Reaction score
Good description Janice. This was one of my favorites when I was little. Haven't seen it available for a few years now. When the series started, they also changed the little mouse character, he didn't have arms in the special, but they added them for the series. Great, great movie, not bad at all as a show either!

Xerus

Reaction score
I remember enjoying The Christmas Toy when I was a kid. And the Secret Life of Toys was okay too. But I wish they would've kept Apple in it though. And I was also disappointed that Steve Whitmire wasn't voicing Mew like he did in the special.

But I'm glad Dave Goelz was there to do Rugby and Ditz the Clown just like in the special. And Jerry Nelson came back to do Balthazar the Bear. And Jerry also played the kids' father on the show too. Even though his face was never shown.