Sesame Street Season 38 Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Maybe Atlantic expected Weird Al Yankovic's version to be more popular that the Sesame Street parody. After all, when's the las ttiem that Sesame Street had a big hit that was popular with casual fans all over the world, and not just us hardcore fans or the shows current target audience (who would likely forget the songs if they don't keep watching the show past kindergarden, or grow up to become hardcore fans). Sure, A Cookie is a Sometimes Food was highly publicized during season 36, but I wonder how many casual fans remember hearing about that song, and if it is considered a classic or even a hit (unless it's in one of the episodes on one of the TV Episode Fun Packs, it hasn't been released commercially yet).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just wish they'd go go back to making song parodies featuring PARODY characters and not the real celebrities. I mean, REM's Shiney Happy Monsters was actually better than the original version, but I gonna soak up the sun was brutal. That and having celebrities masacre old songs. Little Richard's Rubber Ducky was a high light, and my favorite celebrity cover, but Dianne Krall 9or whoever it was) proved it really wasn't everybody's song.

SSLFan

Reaction score
Ok, season 38 is getting closer and closer!:excited:

ssetta

Reaction score
I just found something else out about Season 38. There WILL be a new theme. But the question is: Will it still show the episode number?

wiley207

Reaction score
I hope this new theme will be slightly similar to the old themes, like the 1998 and 2002 openings, and not a total drastic change like the 1992 "Calypso" theme. :concern:

SSLFan

Reaction score
I wouldn't consider it a "drastic"change.:smirk:

Big Bird Fan

Reaction score
Maybe that means they'll finally change the end credits. It's been exactly the same for about 10 years and I'm beyond tired of it.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Maybe that means they'll finally change the end credits. It's been exactly the same for about 10 years and I'm beyond tired of it.
That would be a good choice to have a new ending to the show. I am kind of tired of the one they keep using but can't wait to hear the new theme!

wiley207

Reaction score
I agree that the 1992 credits theme is now somewhat outdated. And I know that when they changed the opening sequence and theme music in 1998 (they did a classic-style intro with Big Bird and the kids playing in Central Park) and added "Elmo's World", they kept using the same 1992 closing, but it seemed to work better that way, IMO. I saw a 2000 episode from PBS Kids Sprout On Demand, and it had the 1992 closing, but they faded right to black right before the CTW info came up. They just faded to the Sesame Workshop copyright and Big Bird saying "Toodle-oo!" But at least in current years they show the ending part with the Statue of Liberty and the tugboat sailing off. However, if they DO make a new closing credits theme, then they could use the old 1969 closing theme (they still play a portion of it after the "Trash Gordon" segment before the credits roll). But a new opening would be pretty cool.
BTW, the reason why I called the 1992 calypso opening a "drastic" change was because it was all too sudden, and people were familiar with the classic theme. The animated elments during the 1992-1998 opening were also pretty stupid (the monkey on the vine, the fake "static," the blue bird at the end), and having more Muppets was an OK idea, but it was sometimes overkill. However, I DO like the part in the 2002 opening with Super Grover holding up the episode number sign. It's sort of a throwback to the animated episode number sequences on the older episodes. Maybe they could do something similar like that.

Anyways, I've noticed they've been using too many cartoon sound effects in recent episodes during the street scenes for a "comical" feel, mostly the sound effects from "Looney Tunes" and "The Flintstones" are used with them. They fit fine for the animations, but the Muppet segments and the street scenes always used to have these cool, funky sound effects that were quite similar to the sound FX in the early "Gumby" cartoons, such as Sam the Robot's mechanical sounds, the "boiiing!" when Harvey Kneeslapper would slap a letter or number on his victim, and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.