I'm accident-prone, and my mom's mad!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
When she dropped me off for Chemistry class today, I accidentally slipped on the sidewalk and fell. No biggie, just a minor scrape on the knee. Well after two hours of class, when my mom picked me up, she was raging mad. "I'VE RAISED FIVE CHILDREN IN MY LIFE, FOUR OF THEM BOYS, BUT YOU ARE ALWAYS FALLING, TRIPPING, SLIPPING, ALL THE TIME, AND IT'S BECOMING EMBARRASING, I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU! EITHER YOU DON'T WATCH WHAT YOU'RE DOING, OR A DOCTOR NEEDS TO LOOK AT YOUR EQUILIBRIUM, BECAUSE THIS IS GETTIN' OLD AND I'M SICK OF IT!!!!!" Now I admit this sort of thing happens OCCASIONALLY, but I wouldn't say ALL THE TIME. Of course, she tends to slightly exaggerate just to make a point, well she made one! So now she's not talking to me for the rest of the day, and she's steaming at me just because I fell. I know some people are just plain accident prone, and I believe I've just one of those people, BUT, I don't believe I ALWAYS fall or trip or anything.

Oh well, what can I do? When she gets mad, all you-know-what breaks loose!

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
LOL! looks like your moms having a bad day, and had to find something stupid to let it out on. Sorry it was you! :grouchy: I dont thin you have to worrie about it, sounds like shes just in a bad mood, and nothings wrong with being a klutz (im a klutz) it makes for intersting people lol. Theres nothing wrong with you, no doctor is going to give you "anti klutz drugs" lol (though that would be sweet...)
Just dont worrie, it will blow over :wink:

luvtosr

Reaction score
Yeah, Krazedmuppet's right, unfortunately it sounds like you're bearing the brunt of something else.

As for clumsiness, I wear glasses for distance but take them off for close up so when I walk around I can either wear my glasses and constantly misjudge the distance between door frames (ow, my poor shoulders/elbows) or not wear them and never see things coming unless they're right in front of me (ow my poor hips/knees/shins).

I would let your Mum have time to cool off then approach her calmly and maturely and ask her if she genuinely believes you have a problem. Either she'll say no,apologise, maybe explain her outburst and that'll be that or she'll say yes and you can calmly discuss it with her and maybe agree to see a doctor if she really thinks you should, you never know - she might be right or at the very least it will put her mind at rest and she should appreciate the mature attitude you have taken to the whole situation.

BEAR

Reaction score
There is absolutely NO REASON to yell and get mad at someone for FALLING DOWN! i certainly hope she is not really upset or as you say "embarassed" by you doing this. That is a silly reason to be upset about especially from you mother. Brush it off, you did nothing wrong.

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Are your shoes the right size? It sounds like a dumb question, but if your shoes and/or clothes don't quite fit right, it could account for some of the problem. The rest is natural. :big_grin: I walk into stuff all the time, too.

Chances are that she wasn't having the best day, and she vented at you, simply because you were there. It probably does bother her, but I can bet you that you tripping was not what made her angry. It actually tends to happen to me alot, where people will just get mad at me because I am simply there for them to get mad at (This happened on the bus yesterday where this creep yelled at me because I was supposedly staring at him - everytime I'd look around, HE would be staring at ME, not the other way around! It was weird, and he was really rude to me. But I just said, You must be mistaken, I can't help you. And read my book. I figured that he was having a really bad day and did nothing to egg him on). Just take a deep breath, don't argue or anything, and try to be careful around her. :wink: In no time everything will be just fine.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
No, she was mad AT me for the fall. But yes, she is in her one of her moods today (probably because today was a fall holiday from school, yet I still had to go to chemistry class, so we had to get up before 6:30, and she's not a morning person.)
Besides, it probably reminds her of my other mishaps...
  • When I was 6, a trip in some gravel tore a chunk out of my knee!
  • Two years ago I was running to the car, slipped on the sidewalk, and fell flat on my face (that scared her half to death because it was rather bloody.)
  • Last year, when I was helping with the guys at PBS televise the local talent show, I was assintant stage manager, and when I sat down in my chair, it slid off the edge of the stage, and I fell back (chair and all) completely off the stage! Luckily I survived with no injuries or pain!
  • A month ago at a club meeting, a leaned back in my chair from boredom, and fell back.
So, my mom says it's embarrasing because I'm "16 years old, yet you don't act like it!"
So, just wait till I'm 18!

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Um, take it from me: people of ALLLL ages are accident-prone!!! One person I've worked for would have accidents all the time (and he walked with a cane, so if he fell he couldn't get up).
I don't tend to fall, but I walk into things daily, drop things, send things flying at people by accident, the list goes on.

superfan

Reaction score
Gosh, you're 16...you're still growing! Everyone was a klutz in their teens...PLUS if you NEVER tripped and fell in all your life, I'd worry about that even more!! Haha!
Take the other's advice, here D'Snowth. She's not doing it as a personal attack. She cares for your well being. Just had a funny way to show it today.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Apparently my mom's over it, because she's talking to me again, and she's having a rest day (in which she takes a a day off from house work, etc).