Ron Lucas ventriloquist

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Any one ever heard of him? My parents taped him off the disney channel whan I was little, it was his first television special, I think one of his most famous puppets was "Billy Bob" a cow boy, Its a very interesting tape, anyone elce ever see this or remember it? thanks! :confused: :big_grin: :smile: :zany:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Sure! Ron Lucas is a very well known (well, in his field anyway)Ventriloquist and puppeteer. I've seen him on various TV shows over the years (most probably have, even if they don't remember) and I believe he works frequently in Vegas. His best known characters are Buffalo Billy and Scorch.

He's done dozens of TV appearances since the early 80s (including The Tonight Show, Night Court, and LA Law) and has had his own shows in the UK. There's no videos of his on the market, but the Puppeteers of America might have something of his in their reference library.

You can find out more about him at this website or his official site.

I hope this helps!!

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Ronn Lucas?!?!?! I LOVE that guy! I had the incredible fortune to meet him in person on a Royal Caribbean cruise when I was 14. After his AMAZING show I went up to him and told him about my great interest in puppetry. He was really busy because he had just given a really late show and had to be off the ship the next day, but he told me I could go backstage with him and talk to him while he put his latex dragon puppet away. I learned sooo much from him in the 15 minutes I talked with him. He showed me how the dragon's eyelids moved, told me about painting latex, and told me about how he got started with puppetry. I told him about how I was working on a clay animation film and he gave me a lot of encouragement on that. Then I related to him my idea of a short film for which I needed to make a latex monkey puppet and he suggested I look in fishing catalogs to get the latex materials. I told him of my aspiration to work for JHC and he gave me a test: he asked, "to whom was the first Muppet movie dedicated?" I told him, "Edgar Bergen," and he said, "You are a real Hensonite." Then his big agent came over and started making fun of how skinny I am and said that his son could eat me or something stupid. But Ron Lucas isn't just an excellent performer, he's a wonderful person. That was so nice of him to take the time to talk to a young boy with so much hope like that, even when he was so busy. He reminded me of what people say Jim was like. He's a great guy.

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

P.S.
His name is actually spelled with 2 "n"s. He was touchy about that :wink:

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver

You can find out more about him at this website or his official site.

I hope this helps!!
Thanks for posting that!

I had forgotten about him, and its nice to know he's still around and working.

His special on the Disney Channel was a favorite of mine, and I also remember his Scorch TV series.

Thanks again for stirring up memories.

GuySmiley

Reaction score
Yeah - I use to love Ron Lucas when he was on UK TV.

I seem to remember a show called something like 'The Hippodrome Show' which was a sort of variety show with special guests etc. It was really good.

I'd like to see some of his work again...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Originally posted by radionate
I had forgotten about him, and its nice to know he's still around and working.
Like most cabaret-style acts, he didn't die....he just went to Vegas. :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, he's a great performer. One of these days I'm going to do a Vegas weekend. I don't gamble, so I'll just take in the shows - Copperfield, Zigfried and Roy, Ron Lucas, Cirque de Solei, etc.

radionate

Reaction score
Originally posted by Buck-Beaver
Like most cabaret-style acts, he didn't die....he just went to Vegas. :stick_out_tongue:

Seriously though, he's a great performer. One of these days I'm going to do a Vegas weekend. I don't gamble, so I'll just take in the shows - Copperfield, Zigfried and Roy, Ron Lucas, Cirque de Solei, etc.
Can I have the money you'll save from not gambling to gamble with? I'll give you all my winnings!!!! :wink:

Baby Animal

Reaction score
If I remember right, he also did that fire-breathing dragon dummy. He was on Matchgame for a while too when they came back out with it. He was always the best guest.

Chuck, my name is Chuck.

Hello. My name is George, and I'm a tur...............tle. I work for the United States Postal Service. I wax my car with people wax.

Oh man, I wish I had that tape still!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
This guy really is amazing. The variety of characters, the number of astonishing vocal tricks he does...he can even switch back and forth between several characters at the same time! And it's not just technically superb but quite funny too. And he's the only person I know who includes a lesson on puppet making and ventriloquism right in his act (the hilarious tur.......tle bit -- we quoted that for years in my house). And his act actually builds to a thrilling CLIMAX, where he's in an existential battle with his creations. It's wonderful fun.

I remember his great appearance on Night Court quite well, and also a "Circus of the Stars" performance where he performed his act while on a tricycle on a highwire!! Additionally, he used to be on the Smothers Brothers revival TV show in the 80's. That's why he's not seen on TV much anymore -- the old-school variety shows have gone away. (The Muppets REALLY need to work with him at some point.) [rant] Modern late-night talk shows don't want to show us genuinely entertaining acts...they want to have Suzy Bimbo in her tight dress, cynically promoting her new movie and without an intelligent thing to say in conversation. [/rant]

I went to a friend's wedding in Vegas over the weekend, and was thrilled to see Ron's alive and well and doing shows there. I would have seen him myself, but didn't have time in my tight schedule, or the finances for it. :cry: Maybe someday I'll be able to go back. Ironically, I hate gambling, so I won't be doing that in Vegas. I just want to see Ron in action again!

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
If I remember right, he also did that fire-breathing dragon dummy. He was on Matchgame for a while too when they came back out with it. He was always the best guest.

Chuck, my name is Chuck.

Hello. My name is George, and I'm a tur...............tle. I work for the United States Postal Service. I wax my car with people wax.

Oh man, I wish I had that tape still!
THATS THE ONE I HAVE!! it was so funny! :excited: