Commercial rant time...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I should also point out that those Progressive Flo commercials are getting creepier and creepier. That one where one of the two guys has a dummy is pretty good, but these latest ones where Flo plays multiple roles and plays her own family members are just unnerving.
I actually really like the dummy one. Somehow the "No one at all" bit almost makes me hear Homer's voice in my head saying "OH! Stupid sexy dummy."

But those ones where Flo pulls an Eddie Murphy in Nutty Professor... I'll admit they are well done, and the actress shouldn't be pidgeonholed into being that mascot (she was in Mad Men and 2 Broke Girls and was almost unrecognizable and good in both roles)... but the subtext is depressing as heck. The unfavorite bit should be funny, but comes off extremely depressing with the fridge horror that Flo's perky attitude comes off as a mask, hiding a bitter pain of rejection from her own family, even though she seems to actually be the successful one in a group of angry losers. Considering that in other commercials she really loves her job with an almost psychotic gusto, this is a very dark message they're bringing. All played for Laughs, too. Smart move, guys. Now all I can do is picture a drunk Flo crying herself to sleep every night.

But yeah. The ones where everyone turns into Flo and the one where the woman has a very disturbing obsession with Flo and making a hand puppet out of her... those are scary.

mr3urious

Reaction score
So the original Mucinex mucus guy has been taken over by a younger, human-sized mucus voiced by T.J. Miller.

Great. Now I can't help but hear Tuffnut or Robbie Valentino every time I see him.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great. Now I can't help but hear Tuffnut or Robbie Valentino every time I see him.
Let's not forget Fred of Big Hero six.

My rant is that I had to go to Youtube to see the Skeletor Honda commercial. Figures. They finally make fun Christmas car commercials and it's the only one they don't put on during every commercial break.

mr3urious

Reaction score
My rant is that I had to go to Youtube to see the Skeletor Honda commercial. Figures. They finally make fun Christmas car commercials and it's the only one they don't put on during every commercial break.
I've seen the one with him and the Magic 8 Ball frequently on TV.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Oh, great... now Jim Parsons has jumped on the old, "Look at me, I'm a big celebrity, and I fully endorse this product that you should totally buy because I told you to, as I'm a big celebrity!" bandwagon.

Y'know, Silvio really hit it best at the 0:54 mark here:

Drtooth

Reaction score
While not a horrible commercial, this one bugs the crap out of me.

This white, American guy on a Korean airplane is trying to tell the Korean stewardess that he has back pain, even pulling out a large print Korean/English dictionary to point to a picture of back pain (which if he's pointing to the picture, what's the point anyway). He talks like a stereotypical tourist, thinking the woman is an idiot and can't speak English. The woman insists on Bayer or something, saying it's also great for back pain.

Now, wanna know why this commercial's logic is flawed? Not only can the stewardess speak perfect English, but the lack of any accent pretty much implies that English was her freaking first language anyway. And seriously... the guy still talks to her and points at the picture in the book like he can't understand her crazy moon language even though she's speaking English. An no... it's not even played for laughs.

So the logic is, to bring up the point that a medication can work with different pains, they need to show someone going to or coming from a foreign country and talking to someone who was clearly born in the US and speaks English without so much as an accent. So what's the cockadoodie point of of having an English Speaker trying to translate English to someone who probably speaks English exclusively?

Rant #2... man am I sick of watching those Free Credit Karma report commercials. Is everyone in that universe a freaking buffoon? Are these set in the world of TUFF Puppy? No. Even those characters would look at these commercials and call them idiots. Even Doritos ads aren't full of this much stupidity.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear to Grod... I've seen that freaking Hot Stamp commercial every single commercial break since it aired. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!