2015 Academy Awards Thread

mr3urious

Reaction score
Here are the nominees that were just announced for the 87th annual Academy Awards coming up next month.

http://oscar.go.com/nominees?cid=oscars_nominees_announcement_cadillac

Kinda unfair that Selma is in there seeing as it got a limited Christmas release last year and a wide release this year, but the same can be said for Les Miserables from 2012.

Also kinda sucks that The Lego Movie got snubbed for best animated feature (though at least "Everything is Awesome" got the nom for best original song), though it's nice to see The Boxtrolls and a Miyazaki film in there again. No doubt Disney's Big Hero 6 will win, as per tradition.

But the biggest travesty of all, which I'm sure is for many people on here? Nothing involving the Muppets! :frown:

Last edited by a moderator:

WalterLinz

Reaction score
I know! I was so disappointed when I heard the news...I was so excited to see if there were gonna be any muppet nominees today last night. Before I was pretty worried if there weren't any noms there wouldn't be any muppet characters presenting or just appearing.:stick_out_tongue:

Oh well...at least I'm still happy about Man or Muppet.:fanatic:

Last edited:

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also kinda sucks that The Lego Movie got snubbed for best animated feature (though at least "Everything is Awesome" got the nom for best original song), though it's nice to see The Boxtrolls and a Miyazaki film in there again. No doubt Disney's Big Hero 6 will win, as per tradition.

But the biggest travesty of all, which I'm sure is for many people on here? Nothing involving the Muppets! :frown:
Very disappointing about no Muppet song nods, but hey... at least the complete apathy and incompetence of the 2012 Oscars lead to Man or Muppet getting the first Oscar a Muppet film got... barring any obvious joke.

I wonder if the (SPOILER) big live action reveal was the reason Lego Movie didn't make the cut. Then again, Wall*E did. But at least Big Hero got the nod. I'm torn. I want that to win, but also Boxtrolls. I'd say, including Lego, those were my top 3 favorite animated movies of the year.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
This is the THIRD year in a row I think an animated film was cheated out of a nomination.
2012:Rise of the Guardians(I thought it was WAY better than Brave)
2013:Monsters University(Croods was cute, but nothing special)
2014:The Lego Movie(Have only seen Dragon 2, but I really like Lego Movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I'm sure the...uh... reveal is the reason why Lego lost the nod. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the selection. It would be nice for the Miyazaki film to actually win for a change, but I'm torn between Big Hero and Boxtrolls.

HOWEVER, Lego Did win at the Critic's Choice Award along with Guardians of the Galaxy.

You see, they do it right! They have a best action movie category. Even though American Sniper counts somehow, Bradly Cooper won his award for that one, and NOT Rocket.

Seriously. The Oscars needs a category for "Best film people actually saw."

mr3urious

Reaction score
People are complaining about the lack of diversity of the Oscar noms compared to last year, which is understandable, but most of the complaints feel like social justice warrior whining to me.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Non-animated family films are usually more qualified for Razzies. There are some good ones out there, but they're usually lost to whatever garbage Walden Media farts out and CGI pasted onto poorly cast cartoon remakes.

I'd love to see a "best not depressing, fun movie that someone would actually see" award. To me, Oscar Bait is exactly the same as Blockbuster films. Only instead of making money and merchandising deals, they're used for street cred for both studios and actors. You do not know how disgusted I am that the words "Academy Award Winner Mathew McCounghey" can be strung together unironically. It's like "Yeah! I did one good film, now I can go back to making the garbage I usually make." There are esteemed actors that do nothing but great films and deserve these awards. But it's like, make one art film, and you're golden. Like Sandra Bullock in that awful football movie. Not Gravity... that was a good film right there. But that freaking football movie that turned into a white guilt film that actually made the family she "helped" look like a bunch of ignorant doofuses when that was far from the truth. The FREAKING award should have gone to the girl from Precious, and everyone knows it!

Oh yeah. Tangent. Anyway, Oscar Bait films are just as formulaic as mainstreams. There's always the biopic, the war pic, the actually good bittersweet comedy film (I'm always pushing for those), and that one sliver of time they actually have a mainstream film that's just there to show the public they aren't a bunch of pretentious snobs.

And seriously! The one time they don't go for the most depressing subject matter always has to be animation. Persepolis should have got something, if nothing for being the only 2-D film on the list. Much as I love Ratatouille, that is. And Satashi Kon always got screwed (unless you count Black Swan, which was "inspired" by Perfect Blue), but that *&^% Penguin thing not only snagged the nomination but won. Kon's work was pure art that was more organic than most Oscar nominated films. Forget exactly which movie it was that should have been nominated that year. Maybe they shafted it because they wanted to do the lame bit where the cartoon characters were getting awards, and cute penguins beat out almost photorealistic people anyday.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
People are complaining about the lack of diversity of the Oscar noms compared to last year, which is understandable, but most of the complaints feel like social justice warrior whining to me.
It feels distinctly like "Al Sharpton is annoyed the police brutality story is out of the news and is desperate to get people talking about him again." :wink:

Drtooth

Reaction score
While I mentioned this on the other thread...

Yeah, I can kinda see why they gave the royal shaft to MMW as far as songs go. Everything is Awesome is the only not depressing song from a depressing flick. Cuz art is suffering, or something. I'm surprised they even managed to have a feel good song in there period no matter how subversive it was in context.

But yeah... Grand Budapest Hotel is this year's wildcard not depressing film. I still need to catch that. Too bad Birdman got screwed over too. I heard nothing but good things about that one, and I'm disappointed that I didn't get the chance to see it.