Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
According to this guy, D.W. didn't know what she doing, let alone doing anything wrong, hence why she doesn't get punished.

Uh, yeah, she did know what she was doing... now, whether or not she knew model planes don't fly, she knew she was doing something she was told not to - several times.
Now that I think about it, there is a level I just realized considering D.W.'s lack of punishment. Had Arthur just ran over to tattle to his parents, D.W. would have come out looking like the bigger wrong, but Arthur punched her instead. Quite obviously beating up his kid sister was worse in his parents' eyes, so they spend more time comforting D.W. than punishing her.

Somehow, the more I think about this, I'm sure the exact same thing happened to some kids that had younger siblings. So there's an unfortunate "life is unfair" reality context in there.

Whether or not Season One really has been retired, I've been thinking, and there actually is one particular episode that really does come off as outdated today in terms of story and subject matter: "Arthur's Eyes."
Not to mention the story was written in the 1980's by someone who was a kid much much before that. Picking on people for wearing glasses is completely outdated a concept. But the problem is that the story is so iconic for the series (book and cartoon). Though on the plus side of retiring this episode it makes Francine seem less like a hypocrite on "So Funny I forgot To Laugh." Or as I like to call it "So Heavy Handed we forgot half the cast were bullies."

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Though on the plus side of retiring this episode it makes Francine seem less like a hypocrite on "So Funny I forgot To Laugh." Or as I like to call it "So Heavy Handed we forgot half the cast were bullies."
Binky especially. In the first season, he was the bully... not only that, he was really only a minor character at that point who only popped up occasionally to bully Arthur and the others. It really isn't until the second second where he slowly mellowed out and started becoming one of the gang.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Bully? Feh. He was toned down compared to the book. In the original Arthur's Tooth story, he was more than happy to suggest punching it out of him. But Francine was worse. At least there's the excuse that she had some character development since then. But Binky was always hard to place. I like how they managed to point that one out in one of the episode openings.

But like I said, "So Funny" managed to miss every opportunity it could have to give a lesson it managed to bungle. If Arthur's passive aggressive dog head Sue Ellen thing he e-mailed is supposed to be a message, it's poorly delivered. Just all over a poorly done episode.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
The episode with the glasses was the reason that I did not want to get glasses, so that episode is more than outdated, though even now people change to contacts, but not many.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
There's still oddly a few people out there who feel self-conscious about wearing glasses, hence why some switch to contacts... others do so for more "practical" reasons, such as people who always lose their glasses, or find it to be a drag that you always have to take them off to shower or swim or something like that.

mr3urious

Reaction score
There's still oddly a few people out there who feel self-conscious about wearing glasses, hence why some switch to contacts... others do so for more "practical" reasons, such as people who always lose their glasses, or find it to be a drag that you always have to take them off to shower or swim or something like that.
Of course, contacts have their own set of problems, like the potential of inflammation or of them fusing to your cornea. :eek:

Luckily I have 20/20 vision, but if I didn't, I'd go with glasses any day. :smile:

WalterLinz

Reaction score
Lol when I was littler, I used to think that Molly and the gang were in high school or something, and I thought it was fitting that Binky hangs out with teenagers.XD

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It really doesn't help that in this universe, one year different in age somehow drastically changes the characters' appearances and attitudes and such. You're right, each of the Tough Customers seem more like teenagers than fourth graders, mainly because they're considerably taller than Arthur and his friends, and act more like rebel teens than younger children... heck, Depending on the Artist, Molly is even occasionally seen with a bust in certain outfits. I recently saw a model sheet of Marina, and in a size comparison with Arthur, she looks massive, like the cover of the 40 Years book where Cookie Monster looks huge, while Herry looks really teeny-tiny, as Drtooth once illustrated: http://www.deviantart.com/art/Muppet-book-and-poster-rant-197565334