Arthur - Where is the Show Going?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous. No wonder why they lampshaded it in the Neil Gaiman episode. Bad enough they have to add ripple dissolves and fairy sound effects before each one.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I still say kids today are pretty much imagination-challenged, that's why the Imagine Spots confuse them, they're not used to using their imaginations anymore.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Imagine Spots are not uncommon in any television or movie medium. The kids that are being tested must be 3 or something. It should stop being treated as a preschool series for one thing. It never was.

Then again, with recent episodes, I don't even notice much of a difference since they still use imagine spots quite a bit. Maybe not multiple times per episode, but certainly to an extent where it hasn't disappeared completely. Like Binky's hypocritical dream sequence in that terrible one about Bang on a Can Allstars.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Binky has issues, plain and simple. At least twice, he's fantasized about his parents abandoning him, selling all his belongings, and going on cruises.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
Binky has issues, plain and simple. At least twice, he's fantasized about his parents abandoning him, selling all his belongings, and going on cruises.
Technically, one of them was to get him to be more appreciative of his parents particularly his mother.

Drtooth

Reaction score

Well, I meant more that his dream sequence was hypocritical to the poorly done message of the episode overall. I posted a whole long rant about that one. Essentially the episode featured him pressured to like a kind of music he didn't like, all the while painting him as some sort of philistine idiot for not liking it only to like it again at the end.

In other words, The complainer is always wrong. His dream sequence (everyone that liked the music was a zombie) essentially contradicts the episode.

Dominicboo1

Reaction score
I don't know, I haven't even really been on dA in a while: I've pretty much have had nothing to contribute. :stick_out_tongue:

But it's funny... apparently someone out there is doing so-called "fan art" of ARTHUR characters in their underwear, and seemingly isn't getting called out on it... yet years ago, I do one humorous sketch of Jeanette in her underwear, and my arch nemesis blows the whole thing out of proportion and turns it into a controversy.

And I'm with you, there's a whole lot of way more disturbing things out there than just characters being drawn in their underwear.

But anyway, here's a new one: right now there's talk circulating around the fandom (even though it's mostly a joke and fluff) right now that Molly may actually be James's mother rather than his older sister. Theoretically, it's way too much of a stretch (I'm not saying it's impossible, but I doubt on a kid's show they'd have a character whose roughly 8-9 years old having a 3-4 year old son), but many have noticed that they don't seem to have a mother, James looks up to and mimicks Molly more than any normal younger sibling does, and Molly seems noticably act more like a caretaker/guardian to James than an older sibling.

Oh, and after getting to see "Buster and the Daredevils" again a while back, now I know why it seems strange that Slink suddenly and randomly became a Tough Customer later on... Slink goes to Mighty Mountain, not Lakewood Elementary. So somehow, I guess he must have transfered to Lakewood, and as such, no longer associates with Toby, and became a Tough Customer.
Oh goodness...I can't believe that personally it's just James is mainly to show Molly is mroe than just a schoolyard bully. He's meant to show that she CAN love another character. Besides they mention James and Molly's mom on quite a few occasions such as "Arthur Makes Waves" and "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

Drtooth

Reaction score
Sick fans like to ruin things for everyone. I can come up with a crapload of dark conspiracy theories myself. But they're dark, not shudder disturbed.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So get this, I was combing through new comments on my GroverKent YT channel, and somebody has actually justified D.W.'s actions and lack of punishment in "Arthur's Big Hit."

According to this guy, D.W. didn't know what she doing, let alone doing anything wrong, hence why she doesn't get punished.

Uh, yeah, she did know what she was doing... now, whether or not she knew model planes don't fly, she knew she was doing something she was told not to - several times.

I find it hard to believe somebody would actually take D.W.'s side.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Whether or not Season One really has been retired, I've been thinking, and there actually is one particular episode that really does come off as outdated today in terms of story and subject matter: "Arthur's Eyes."

I know it was the first, but honestly, in this day and age, glasses are socially acceptable... and have been for a long time now... even as far back as the 90s when the show started. I mean, I never once went through any kind of the four-eyes torment that Arthur did when I started wearing glasses when I was five... I never saw anybody who wore glasses growing up go through that kind of torment... and now more than ever in the New Tens, glasses are considered "cool" - look at all those commercials for places like LensCrafters or Dr. Bizer's Vision World (I'm sorry, now called VisionWorks), where they bring in really attractive ladies who are all, "Well, my glasses let people know that I can be smart, and serious, like, 'That girl knows her stuff,' but also fun and feisty!" Then you have people like Drew Carey, Greg Proops, Fred Armisen, Tina Fey, Emily Tarver, Wayne Knight, Doug Walker: people who are known for their specs.

So, yeah, I mean in this day and age, to see Arthur picked on for wearing glasses does seem a bit odd and unusual.