You Ever Notice...and What's the Deal...

Drtooth

Reaction score
WHY DOESN'T SHE TAKE THE TAILS OFF THE SHRIMP?!! WHAT SENSE DOES THAT MAKE?
Unfortunately, that is a common preparation for a Shrimp dish, to leave that annoying last bit of shell on. I don't think I've ever had a shrimp dish (unless the shrimp were small) that didn't have a shell on it. Fried, scampi or otherwise. I don't know why they do it, but this isn't uncommon.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Well, when the shrimp is to be ate by hand, like fried or scampi, then yeah, that kind of makes sense, but when you put it in something like a pasta dish, or anything along those lines, it just doesn't make sense.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice that in cartoons, if one character accidentally swallows another character, that swallowed character somehow suddenly becomes almost microscopic size while inside the other character's stomach, even though they were pretty much roughly half the size of the character who swallowed them? Like when Rocko accidentally slid into Heffer's stomach trying to get a chicken bone out of Heff's throat, or when Cow accidentally swallowed Chicken as he was feeding her - both Rocko and Heffer are about half the size of Heffer and Cow, yet when they were inside their stomaches, all of the sudden, they're small enough to actually journey through their stomaches, which seem like series of cavernous tunnels.

Gotta love cartoon logic.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Quite a few things about The Wonder Years episode "Walk Out"...

During the first Home Room Council meeting, the students all suggest things that would interest most kids. One kid suggests the walk-out, to protest the war, and none of the other students are interested in the walk out until he points out that it would mean they could leave class.

And then, when the home room representatives have to pick a group, Kevin decides to pick the group for walk out based on the fact that a cool teacher is involved with walk out (and it seems he was the only teacher there at the home room representative meeting, maybe they only needed one teacher but it still seems odd).

And then during the first meeting, all of the students seem to genuinely be for the walk out. So the students went from supporting the walk out because it allowed them to leave class (except it officially didn't) to (at least for Kevin and Paul) being part of it because the cool teacher supported it to because they all genuinely thought war was wrong (and at the beginning of the episode it seems the average student ignored news of the war)?

And at the end, Kevin is supposed to lead his class into walking out, but he ends up walking out of class to go to the bathroom, only the other students think that's the signal to do the walk out, the entire school does so as well, and apparently it's all because of Kevin (according to the narrator)? I know the home room representatives who were in the walk out group were wanting to do this, but I don't think the whole school would have done it just because of Kevin's class. I don't think his classroom was the farthest-back on the very top floor (which I figure would be the only way the whole school would know to do the walk out, by seeing students walking out from the classroom door).

I know the narrator mentioned this at the end, but how was walking out of class onto the football field to sing supposed to protest the war? The kids were only singing to the school building, not to soldiers or enemy soldiers.

Thinking about it, with so many students signing petitions for the principal to allow the walk out and the principal refusing because it violates school rules, wouldn't it have been nice if, at the time the walk out was supposed to happen, the school had a fire drill, which would allow the students to leave class anyway?

Watching this episode recently, a few things were different from how I remembered. Back when I first saw this episode on Nick at Nite, the flash-forward fantasy where Kevin was about to go into space but then couldn't because the walk out was on his permanent record made me think that he had already participated in it, and that the kids walking out at the end was something else (to defend Kevin), but watching it recently, I could see that the walk out hadn't happened yet, and that the walk out was what happened at the end. And when the narrator said that if all 800 kids hadn't done that, it wouldn't have gone on their permanent records, I thought the "it wouldn't have gone on our permanent records" line meant that it didn't go on their permanent records because everybody did it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Ever notice whenever it seems Paris Hilton has disappeared from the public, she suddenly and randomly resurfaces for a variety different reasons while acting like she's still relevant to today's pop culture like we care? Apparently now, she's going into real estate (for herself), and it's earth-shattering news.

Hey... you know what else is earth-shattering news? Taylor Swift is no longer Selena Gomez's B.F.F., because she no longer has respect for someone who keeps hooking up with Justin Bieber over and over and over again (while Taylor hypocritically keeps hooking up with a boyfriend over and over and over again. Awkward).

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Anybody notice how on live-action shows that don't regularly have musical numbers and don't include established recordings in the shows soundtracks, that there might still be occasions where a character will sing a copyrighted song, or even do an entire performance of an existing song, yet on children's animated shows that don't have much singing that when they do sing it's always an original song or parody? Or if it does have songs regularly (many kids cartoons seemed to have just one song per episode, or per segment if it's broken into multiple segments per episode) they'll only sing songs written for the show, and pretty much never sing a single line of a song? Do the people who make kids cartoons sign something promising not to have the characters perform any established songs?

And note that I only said that about cartoons intended for children. The Simpsons and Family Guy don't have singing in every episode, but they do have many occasions where the characters sing a song that wasn't written for the show (whether it's a musical number, just a line of a song, or an established recording). I think South Park has done this as well, though I can't remember any speciffic examples.

Hey... you know what else is earth-shattering news? Taylor Swift is no longer Selena Gomez's B.F.F., because she no longer has respect for someone who keeps hooking up with Justin Bieber over and over and over again (while Taylor hypocritically keeps hooking up with a boyfriend over and over and over again. Awkward).
The difference there is that Taylor's boyfriend she keeps hooking up with again and again and again isn't Justin Bieber, who everybody over the age of 18 hates. Though I do find it annoying whenever couples keep hooking up again and again....

mr3urious

Reaction score
After watching the recent Nostalgia Critic episode about the Disney Afternoon block, what was the deal with that Bonkers episode where they have Mickey Mouse locked up in a cage and Wayne Allwine provides his voice and everything, yet we never see him? I mean, this is a Disney cartoon! Was it really that hard to get the rights to use their own mouse? :confused:

Drtooth

Reaction score
After watching the recent Nostalgia Critic episode about the Disney Afternoon block, what was the deal with that Bonkers episode where they have Mickey Mouse locked up in a cage and Wayne Allwine provides his voice and everything, yet we never see him? I mean, this is a Disney cartoon! Was it really that hard to get the rights to use their own mouse? :confused:
I forget the exact story and the exact explanation. But it's absolutely idiotic.

It has something to do with DC comics level mumbo jumbo BS about not using him so he'd look bad in a bad project. Goofy, Donald... yeah, they can be in horrible stuff apparently, but Mickey can't be in anything if it makes him look bad.

And Totally Minnie exists. He can't be on an enjoyable but not as great as Darkwing Duck series, but they can TOTALLY do Totally Minnie.

Unless... GASP... that's the reason why they did that in the first place.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
In 13 Going on 30, the main character stops being friends with her best friend right before magically turning 30, and shortly after being in her 30-year-old life, seeks him out and is surprised that she stopped talking to him since. But her memory skipped all those years, shouldn't she have still been mad at him at that point? Are we supposed to believe that since she magically went to her future and saw that she was rich and successful that she easily forgave her best friend?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
It's been a long time since I last saw the movie, but in Charlotte's Web, is the girl aware that her uncle is keeping Wilbur to cook him as bacon? She had kept Wilbur as a pet for some time, and when her father needed to sell or get rid of the pig, he decided to give it to his brother, so the girl can still see Wilbur... Seems weird that her uncle would keep his niece's "pet" just to kill it for food. Or is it ever said that he was in fact planning to make bacon from him (or was that just an assumption made by the animals that Wilbur would become bacon)?